Tim Cook, Making Apple His Own

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Various people have criticized Tim Cook's leadership at Apple while others have praised him. Here is a snippet from Jony Ive from an article:

Jonathan Ive, the head of design at Apple and a name nearly as adored by its followers as Steve Jobs, says Mr. Cook has not neglected the company?s central mission: innovation. ?Honestly, I don?t think anything?s changed,? he said. And that includes the clamor for some exciting new thing. ?People felt exactly the same way when we were working on the iPhone,? Mr. Ive added.

?It is hard for all of us to be patient,? Mr. Ive said. ?It was hard for Steve. It is hard for Tim.?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/technology/tim-cook-making-apple-his-own.html?_r=0&referrer=

What say you? How do you feel about Tim Cook's leadership at Apple?

Last edited:

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Cook is going to bring a lot more innovation. Much more than that egotistical, self-righteous ego maniacal d-bag. Tim Cook actually understands something more than, "Hurrdurr, make it purdy."

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think Cook is going to bring a lot more innovation. Much more than that egotistical, self-righteous ego maniacal d-bag. Tim Cook actually understands something more than, "Hurrdurr, make it purdy."

I think you should pay some respect for the deceased. All you said can be true about him, but he was the one Apple almost got bankrupt without and he was the one again Apple rise back very hard from a near dead experience.

He had vision, understood marketing, understood timing and understood people's demands like no one else.

Jobs was one highly skilled leader with great vision. You don't have to love him to acknowledge that.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No, those were points... He never brought any innovation. He took what was there, claimed it as his own and ostracized anyone who tried to utilize the services. I love iOS in it's current iteration. Back then, not so much.

Steve was the first to create computer mouse, Xerox was still think about how to interfere with computer when Steve innovate it for his Mac, he created computer graphic interfaces which MS copied, he created that is to name a few... Don't just say and keep on saying what no don't master at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
And in response to the "egotistical" and "self-righteous ego", a wise man once told me that it ain’t bragging if you can back it up. Jobs did. In spades.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
How do you follow Steve Jobs?

I think Tim Cook is doing a great job. He's maintaining my confidence in Apple and that's huge.

Steve Jobs may not have had a lot of original ideas (iPad? slates had been around for years. iPhone? Pocket PCs had been combined with cellphones long before that) but he had a knack for taking an idea and finding a way to make people want it. It was part great salesmanship and part having a real eye for how to package something in a way people would want to use. Tim Cook isn't the salesman that Jobs was and he doesn't have that same eye for real world use cases but he's done a great job of getting the people that can do those things in the right positions.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a thread about Tim Cook, must we go on and on about Steve Jobs?

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Tim Cook advanced iOS lightyears ahead of where it was. I'd not have considered an Apple device early on... Likely not even til at least the 5 and even then it was unlikely. iOS 7 breathed into iOS everything that made me even consider the platform viable and I'm so glad he came along.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why people think it's relevant to have a Steve Jobs mini-memorial service every time Tim Cooks name is mentioned ...

Not sure, either. However, the premise of the thread/article is that Apple is closely identified as Jobs' company. So there will obviously be references and even comparisons when discussing "Tim Cook's Apple". It’s inevitable.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why people think it's relevant to have a Steve Jobs mini-memorial service every time Tim Cooks name is mentioned ...

Me either, I think Tim Cook is arguably one of the best CEOs in corporate history. I think Satya Nadella is going to make waves too but Tim Cook is awesome.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
How do you follow Steve Jobs?

I think Tim Cook is doing a great job. He's maintaining my confidence in Apple and that's huge.

Steve Jobs may not have had a lot of original ideas (iPad? slates had been around for years. iPhone? Pocket PCs had been combined with cellphones long before that) but he had a knack for taking an idea and finding a way to make people want it. It was part great salesmanship and part having a real eye for how to package something in a way people would want to use. Tim Cook isn't the salesman that Jobs was and he doesn't have that same eye for real world use cases but he's done a great job of getting the people that can do those things in the right positions.

I actually think that Tim Cook has a better understanding of real-world use cases than Steve Jobs did. With Cook, he seems to understand that times and trends are changing and want to change with them instead of saying "this is what we want you to want, so here you go." I like the direction that Apple is going in. I think Tim Cook is doing something that most CEO's wouldn't be able to do. How do you take a top company and keep it on top in a market that has already exploded with such rabid competition at your throat? iPhone 6 is projected to be the most popular and fastest selling smartphone in history, the iPad is still the best and widely used tablet, and the iWatch is the most anticipated wearable tech of the year. I think Cook is doing great.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like that Cook is taking a more pragmatic approach to steering Apple's decision making in relations to the products, while still very much retaining what was in the vein of Jobs' philosophical DNA in the company.

Apple arguably could be the best working company today, and that wouldn't have happened if Cook fell asleep at the wheel.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think Tim Cook just had a full understanding of what he was inheriting and had a good vision of how to steer things in a slightly different direction than previous without ruffling many feathers and still protecting Apple's persona. He was going to be compared to his predecessor no matter what. Let alone criticized. Remember that Steve Jobs still had bearing on the iPhone 5 before he passed. Tim Cook was finally able to have his input as CEO directly linked to new products and services. iPad Mini, iPad Air, and the next generation iPhone coming this Fall. Even the way he's opened up iOS 8 somewhat for developers. He's done it his way, under his sailing. I admire the job he has done so far and he has continued to maintain Apple as a very respectable company. Even if he takes jabs at Google's Android. At least he has character.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Quoted - ?Among his last advice he had for me, and for all of you, was to never ask what he would do. ?Just do what?s right,?? Cook said. Jobs wanted Apple to avoid the trap that Walt Disney Co. fell into after the death of its iconic founder, Cook said, where ?everyone spent all their time thinking and talking about what Walt would do.?

Tim will head Apple the way he feels best. And so far I believe he's doing a good job IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods