Tim Cook: "I’m really not sure the average person can tell you what the metaverse is"

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I think it’s beyond just “the average person”. I think it includes virtually everyone, no pun intended. Facebook is a huge powerful company with the ability to get their sound bites or even full sales pitch into mass media. They did this so well and mass media hawked it so much that Wall Street was even going heavy into stocks that were believed investing into “the metaverse”. The only issue was/is there was no metaverse, it was almost a scam, pretty close to a snake oil pitch. Yes there are VR goggles-hardware for role playing VR games and even some VR interaction of socializing and viewing. But there is not a collective of VR that encompasses a semi virtualized life. Maybe one day quite a lot of years away (imho hopefully not ever) but nothing even remotely close in today’s world. So congratulations to Facebook, now Meta, for selling a head fake and propping up their stock for a few months.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The term Metaverse comes from the book, “Snowcrash” by Neil Stephenson. Facebook pilfered the term from there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73