Thoughts on a revamped UI for iOS 7???

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Better use of the notification center would be nice. Shortcuts to settings and a widget API for devs to add widgets to the pull-down.
A little bit more customization option would be nice too, but I could live without it if we got some updates to the notification center.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's going to remain a screen with rows of icons. Apple may add in more function to the icons, but the overall design won't, and doesn't need to, change. I think that the native apps will all see some shifts away from skeumorphism to a more digitized look. But overall, no drastic changes in function. I think they have some big new features and apps planned for iOS 7, though.

it can remain a screen of icons but you should still be able to place them anywhere and not be locked into placing them in order. It's not that hard to change and would still allow apple to keep their "boring row of icons" while giving the users more options.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
it can remain a screen of icons but you should still be able to place them anywhere and not be locked into placing them in order. It's not that hard to change and would still allow apple to keep their "boring row of icons" while giving the users more options.

I just don't see Apple doing that. That's one of the things they attack Android for. Keeping it simple is the strategy. Allowing widgets and all over the place icons makes things difficult and takes away from the experience.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see Apple doing that. That's one of the things they attack Android for. Keeping it simple is the strategy. Allowing widgets and all over the place icons makes things difficult and takes away from the experience.
How does having the icons start at top and be able to put a row above where the 4 on the bottom currently are make it difficult? I never said add widgets, but if you honestly think that by allowing icons anywhere other than in order like it is now is confusing, then i don't know what to tell you...

Taylor Blackwell

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My thought on it is that Apple made minor changes to all parts of the iPhone 5 to make it better ( and yes it wasn't major but lets face it the 5 does what it does great ) ... and honestly before you need good software you need good hardware. so with all of that I think iOS7 will have an ease of use with tweaks done to every part of the OS like they did with the 5 or at least most of them.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
"The experience" needs to change then. It may be great for guys like you (and no insult intended here) - that relish the comfort of the familiar, but the o/s needs to change for those want more dynamism from a home screen or lock screen.

The challenge for Apple is to bring freshness to the o/s while retaining some familiarity. It's not going to happen overnight with everyone waking up to radical, wholesale changes, but in increments. iOS 7 won't be the breakthrough everyone is hoping for, but iOS 8 might.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My thought on it is that Apple made minor changes to all parts of the iPhone 5 to make it better ( and yes it wasn't major but lets face it the 5 does what it does great ) ... and honestly before you need good software you need good hardware. so with all of that I think iOS7 will have an ease of use with tweaks done to every part of the OS like they did with the 5 or at least most of them.

Well every other year is directed towards more software(4s) where as the 5 was aimed more at hardware so I could see what you are saying happening when they release a 5s and unveil IOS7

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I do think iOS UI does need its share of polish. I am sometimes amazed at how many steps are needed to make a simple action. I'll use notification settings for an app.

1. Close app
2. Open settings
3. Open notifications
4. Scroll down to find the app you want and select it.
5. Choose notification option
6. Close settings or double tap home button
7 reopen app either from screen or from multi task menu.

Why not just let every app have access to notifications options either by setting it without ever leaving the app (preferred method) or being able to shortcut right to its page in the notifications options. They could even add a return to app button so you can instantly go back to the app.

These types of simple UI changes can really make the OS more powerful.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's past due, if it doesn't come for iOS 7 well then I don't know what to say..

Still plenty of tweaks they can make they can "borrow" from Cydia and Android..

Mind boggling that we still don't have quick reply for texts..

Borrow from Cydia and Android, I actually call it stealing, copying or theft given Apple's penchant for suing anyone who looks remotely like them turn about is fair play.

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I think they could make some cosmetic changes to freshen and clean the interface. I really think iOS is the best OS out there, it's so efficient. There is minimal to fix as far as functionality. But maybe the UI could use a face life.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Most likely a silver overall ui over the blue. It's obvious, look at the maps and iPod ui. Apple, take hints from ios Google apps! Simple elegant but still ios-ish.

christiangray

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I actually like the calendar app, and I can't imagine opening up IMovie without a big bright marquee greeting me, with my projects that look like movie posters. Also, I love the way the Find My iPhone app looks like someone just unfolded a map onto a wooden table, you can see the cresses in the map! What other company puts that much thought into there apps!

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the calendar app, and I can't imagine opening up IMovie without a big bright marquee greeting me, with my projects that look like movie posters. Also, I love the way the Find My iPhone app looks like someone just unfolded a map onto a wooden table, you can see the cresses in the map! What other company puts that much thought into there apps!

I'd love to see some of the elements from the iPad calendar app carried over to iPhone. Heat mapped days comes to mind.

vanadiumdroid

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Strange, it seems as though long time users are fed up with iOS. I recently jumped onto the iOS bandwagon, and i think useful simplicity is refreshing, it great to have a phone that simply works. I get to my tasks quickly, i attending and dismiss things easily. I like iOS, and I hope they concentrate on services, and not make too much of a big change to the OS. A little less texturing, some things like quick access to some settings is all miss from Android. Widgets are useless, unless you spend time looking at your screen, i can easily see my weather in iOS by pulling down my notif. Menu. On android i finally installed a launcher and kept three desktops. Apple needs to be careful in deciding whats cool and whats useful.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I would really love to see something like the Jailbreak tweak Auxo implemented. Not the toggles. Just the multitasking part of the slide down to close app, thumbnail, and close all feature.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I would really love to see something like the Jailbreak tweak Auxo implemented. Not the toggles. Just the multitasking part of the slide down to close app, thumbnail, and close all feature.

I would also like if they allowed the option for the lockscreen to look like that of typophone 4. I love how much that really makes the lock screen better than when it being stock.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
All Apple would need to do to reduce the "staleness" that some claim (even myself sometimes) - is allow themes without needing to jailbreak.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR