Thoughts on a revamped UI for iOS 7???

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
With Scott Forstall ousted of iOS, do you expect a UI revamp for iOS 7? It has me wondering what we'll see in the next major update. Do you think Apple will take the gamble? I don't think a revamp is necessary but has me very curious in which direction it will go. I'm excited to what Mr. Ive has in mind.

Let me know your thoughts.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping for a decent overhaul. The UI is due for a refresh. Just not sure how they'll do it. But with Ive leading things - I suspect the "skeumorphisms" will vanish. A departure from just apps on the home screens would be nice.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think an overhaul will eventually happen but I don't think there is enough time that it would happen in iOS 7. They are working on 6.1 right now and obviously iOS 7 is being planned for release this year. So I think it's more likely that they prob have a couple different versions of iOS 8 trying to strike the balance between doing something new with a familiar flavor. So that it's new but functions close enough to what is already there that everyone young and old can continue to use it without learning everything all over. They might start introducing new subtly different ways of doing thiings that are more intuitive in iOS 7 that will eventually be a part of iOS 8. So that the transition is more smooth. So for instance in the email app a camera button like in iMessage appears on the "Attachment" line for attaching pictures and videos.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it's past due, if it doesn't come for iOS 7 well then I don't know what to say..

Still plenty of tweaks they can make they can "borrow" from Cydia and Android..

Mind boggling that we still don't have quick reply for texts..

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I dont think they will completely re vamp th os in 7 but i feel that were going to begin to see the rest of the teams touches on a few key areas. There are a bunch of little inconsistencies and fine tuning that could be done all over the os and i believe that is what we will see in 6.1 and 7. Hopefully 8 will be a huge overhaul not necessarily a revamp but a overhaul non the less.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready for somewhat of an overhaul myself. I think with 7 they could do some things that could tweak the ui without making major changes. Just look at the stuff we're seeing available to jailbroken devices with app switching...

I think iOS 7 will be more new features and a few tweaks to the look and feel, but perhaps with iOS 8 and a new style of iPhone we'll have more of a redesign... Not a full redesign, because why completely change something that works well and people love?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
How about letting us put apps anywhere on home screen and not being stuck with one particular spot on the grid

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I was disappointed by iOS 6 because it was the same old worn out iOS UI and it needs a change and coming from blackberry means I miss the ability to change the look of the homescreen with themes.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Apple add an "iTheme Store" to the iOS whether in 7 or 8, it would be no different than a cydia tweet whether free or not

This would be win/win for everyone except the die hard jailbreakers BUT think about all the revenue that would be made from such a store - someone at Cupertino HAS to have tossed this idea out there lol if not someone let them know its been my idea since iOS 5 came out lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think with apple doing everything they can to stop jail breaking I could see them add things from the jailbreak community so people would no longer feel the need to jail break

Irelandjnr

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you guys understand Apple? An iTheme Store, really? You've jumped the shark.

What I would like to see in iOS 7 is a general spit shine to the UI, and an even easier way to do most things, with how we use the devices in the real world taken greatly into account. And I'm not talking location services, I'm simply talking less steps and better usability. Apple is the best in the business when it comes to UX, it's time to rethink all the apps one-by-one and take it to the next level.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
But seriously, I think a few tiny detail changes to the home screen and Springboard are all Ive needs to do for iOS 7. For example, the bottom (stationary) row of icons are currently set on a translucent glassy OS X dock-like graphic, complete with reflections. I'm getting tired of that. Might be time to either flatten out the UI (on both iOS and OS X) with less of a 3-d perspective effect, and to better delineate the docked icons.

Also, maybe it's time to allow rotation of icons and dock when iPhone is turned to landscape orientation, like on iPad.

And finally, how about adding animation to icons when appropriate? For example, the gears turning in the Settings app when an iOS update is being downloaded. (Settings -> General -> Software update.) Maybe icons could be animated when the app is doing specific tasks or when a notification badge is updated. Of course, this brings up the specter of a screenful of icons all bouncing and grinding simply to get your attention. That would be awful.

Just remember: iOS is great at getting out of your way. It puts as little as possible between you and your "stuff." Adding visual excitement and cosmetic tweaks might interfere with that primary function: to get you to your stuff as quickly as possible. Be careful what you wish for.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't really expect an overhaul, just some 'cleaning up'. Simply an update to some of the aesthetics and how you interact with some of the applications. It'll be more like little tweaks within each app in terms of looks and functionality, than a completely new kind of iOS.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
All I really want is some elegant functionality akin to biteSMS, lockinfo and sbsettings. Theming or at least some color choices would be cool too. The SMS is what gets me the most--quick reply. I pretty much care because of the quick reply.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand that Apple values a uniform experience, but I would love the ability to personalise things a bit. Themes would be nice.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's because I'm new to iPhone. But I really like the look. I don't want them to add too much as it may risk becoming too much like my android phones

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I personally find no reason to change it. Besides enhancing the OS as a core. But right now it works and works well for so many....

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It does need to be updated....starting with live icons. If they can animate the settings icon when updating over the air, they can make other ones live. Perhaps let us not have just the standard grid. I think other interfaces on competing platforms are getting ahead of Apple in many ways.

iOS is stale and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Yes Apple likes familiarity and such. OS X today looks different (but still similar) than the first version, but that's because no one else competes with it (there is windows, but that's not a competitor...Apple lost that battle a long time ago). Change up something. Revolutionize, not evolutionize.