Thoughts on a revamped UI for iOS 7???

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The OS is perfect. I'll continue to jailbreak to arrange my icons the way I want. Why does everyone think the OS needs an overhaul? It works perfectly.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The OS is perfect. I'll continue to jailbreak to arrange my icons the way I want. Why does everyone think the OS needs an overhaul? It works perfectly.

If it works perfect why do you need to jailbreak? What you jailbreak for means the OS is not perfect.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Would be nice to have more flexibility in icon placement - not be confined to a sequentially snapping grid.

For example might be nice to just have icons in the lower 2 or 3 rows. Or maybe all around the edges leaving the center open for a better view of background wallpaper pic.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Would be nice to have more flexibility in icon placement - not be confined to a sequentially snapping grid.

For example might be nice to just have icons in the lower 2 or 3 rows. Or maybe all around the edges leaving the center open for a better view of background wallpaper pic.

I agree 100%, wish this was able to be done and not forced into the current grid.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If it works perfect why do you need to jailbreak? What you jailbreak for means the OS is not perfect.

Perfect for the sheep. We enthusiasts will always JB. A grandma can use it, as well as a child. And you and I can JB the mutha and make it our own. How is that not the best? Or "perfect?" Give one aspect relative to other mobile OS's that iOS does does not do.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Perfect for the sheep. We enthusiasts will always JB. A grandma can use it, as well as a child. And you and I can JB the mutha and make it our own. How is that not the best? Or "perfect?" Give one aspect relative to other mobile OS's that iOS does does not do.

Just because it works doesn't make it perfect. Lots of things works and are far from perfect.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The below is, of course, just my honest opinion. You are free to disagree if you like:

My opinion is probably against the grain as I originally LEFT iOS for Android because it was just too stale (and still is, IMHO). However, I now have an iPhone 5 for a work phone so I'm getting plenty of experience with both...

Anyways, one cannot deny that iOS is little changed from the original iPhone in that it is just a static app icon grid. Sure, you can make folders now and have a custom background, but compare it to what one can do on Android with a very wide variety of UI enhancements from widgets to themes, and iOS just looks outdated and stale by comparison. In short, Android has just improved and evolved faster than iOS. For those saying "ew, widgets look nasty" look up threads of people posting their screenshots who have put work into making their UI look great, and you'll change your mind.

That being said, I don't know if saying "add widgets" are the cure-all answer. I like what iOS has done with the pull down notification shade, which in a sense acts like a 'widget' itself. I would like to see more work into expanding the capabilities of the notification pull down so that it gives a user a 'quick glance' at all the info that's important to them without having to open each app. This could act as iOS's version of widgets and still leave the app icon grid main screen in place (if people like that).

Someone suggested having the ability to quick reply to a text from the notification screen (something Android already does). That's a great idea.

I'd also like the ability to access quick toggles for functions as turning off/on wifi, bluetooth, and going to airplane mode instead of having to dig through the settings for each toggle. Another potential use of the notification shade, perhaps?

I think that Apple and Google need to kiss and make up, and allow further integration with Google services. I want to be able to click on a weblink in an email and have the choice of opening it Safari and Chrome. However, given that closed system that iOS is, I don't see this happening.

A lot of you on here like the current look of iOS and don't want to further complicate it, which if fine. However, there are a number of users such as myself who outgrew the stale nature of iOS and went to greener pastures (like Android). A revamped iOS that incorporates UI elements that other OS's have done well might help to bring some of them back.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Themes would be a great way to customize your phone without being overly invasive to the software. I could see that happening.

Lockinfo does deliver a host of ideas that could be put into the lock screen... Perhaps if you are using turn by turn directions they could be displayed on the lockscreen for a quick look if you are walking, cycling, etc. also, having apps be able to put their info on the lockscreen as a quick reference to what's going on.

With a larger body comes a larger battery. New quad and octo -core processors are requiring fractions of battery power previously needed.... Apps to be able to run in the background would be nice to see.

Widgets can be data and battery hogs, but to have a couple added to Notification Center would also bring some fresh air to iOS.

Last (for now) I'd also like to be able to set default apps instead of the native ones if I want.... i.e. opera instead of safari, google maps instead of apple maps.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
IMO I can't really imagine iOS 7 looking overly different. I'm a long time iOS user and am not "bored" by the look of it. It remains to be simple and effective. The only changes I want are to multitasking. I'd like to be able to choose the apps I use most in settings to stay actively backgrounded from settings. I'd love a simple way to access things like Bluetooth, hotspot, wifi etc maybe in NC. More swipe gestures would be nice also.

The main thing I want is better services. iCloud, Siri and maps need to be much much better. I use these everyday and expect more. Ease and functionality to me are of utmost importance to me. If I wanted widgets and a messy looking interface I could just move to android.

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
IMO, just make the time display bigger, along with the weather info.
So both are easy to see at a glance. Other than that, it works so well,
I see no real reason for any type of drastic overhaul.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I go back and forth on this issue, sometimes I think they need to start over like Blackberry is doing, sometimes I think they just need to modernize the look of some of the ugly elements of iOS (like the pinstripes, ugly faded blues and grays, linen everywhere, etc..) and borrow many of the useful tweaks found in Cydia and Android. I don't know anyone that can say with a straight face that iOS is simple and "just works" who has ever tried to delete items from notification center, hitting the clear and x buttons can be quite a challenge.

I just know there has to be meaningful changes for iOS 7, it has to compete until likely the third quarter of 2014, an iOS6 like non-update will have Apple's mobile OS literally years behind the competition and their stock price will probably reflect it.. Can't rest on past success..

Last edited:

moeyouness

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not asking for much I have used iOS for 4 years now it looks good for me but I jailbreak for making it perfect whereas my parents think it is the best around. But as always there are great things that apple could do to make more users stay on iOS. The simple think that android made that is making me lean toward it is the multiple users creation not widgets. Widgets get in the way of using the device and making you customise it all day long. If the multiple users comes to the iPad I won't be thinking of an android tablet all my life.
Wish Apple hears me and does this simple tweak for iOS. Other tweaks are perfect made by the jailbreak community.

onsenk

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I remember this article from a while back that focused on changes that Apple could make. It's not only about how iOS looks, but also how it works:

http://counternotions.com/2012/11/05/sirjony/

I like this line: "Notifications, dark linen background or not, is woefully under-designed."

For my part, I'm pretty happy with the look of things, although the home screen doesn't scale well.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm stoked!!! iOS 7 is running behind schedule and pulled engineers from osx team. They said major changes in ios7 UI!!!

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Just because it works doesn't make it perfect. Lots of things works and are far from perfect.

I agree as my iPhone is the 1st phone I've had that doesn't have Bluetooth sharing built in and the ability to choose ringtones at will from my music playlist

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices