This MacBook feature means thousands of them will go to waste

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find it disturbing that these reports are focusing great efforts in the fact that because of the activation lock, second hand resellers are put at a disadvantage. Some second hand dealers deal in stolen property.

I’m supposed to feel bad because they can’t sell a stolen MacBook? Not happening!

Am I supposed to not enable the activation lock to provide second hand retailers the means to sell my MacBook if it gets stolen and end up in their possession? Not happening!

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I find it disturbing that these reports are focusing great efforts in the fact that because of the activation lock, second hand resellers are put at a disadvantage. Some second hand dealers deal in stolen property.

I’m supposed to feel bad because they can’t sell a stolen MacBook? Not happening!

Am I supposed to not enable the activation lock to provide second hand retailers the means to sell my MacBook if it gets stolen and end up in their possession? Not happening!

You addressed this even more perfectly in your other post D.
This is largely just sensationalism. The next chapter after AirTags are insidious!
There’s around 15 million MacBooks sold in 2022. A tiny 1 out of every 100 customers unwilling to click “erase this device” before decommissioning their MacBook(s) means 150,000 macs can’t be resold as is. Ultimately That is not an Apple or us users appreciating the excellencd and security level of FindMy, that’s a 150,000 macbook owners problem. But a headline that says ‘1% of macbook owners causing waste’ just doesn’t get as many clicks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You addressed this even more perfectly in your other post D.
This is largely just sensationalism. The next chapter after AirTags are insidious!
There’s around 15 million MacBooks sold in 2022. A tiny 1 out of every 100 customers unwilling to click “erase this device” before decommissioning their MacBook(s) means 150,000 macs can’t be resold as is. Ultimately That is not an Apple or us users appreciating the excellencd and security level of FindMy, that’s a 150,000 macbook owners problem. But a headline that says ‘1% of macbook owners causing waste’ just doesn’t get as many clicks.

Thank you, and as always you are spot on with your assessment. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll