This is what it?s like for an Android fanboy to switch to an iPhone 5s

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but not everyone shares his opinions or view the aforementioned as advantages over Android. The iPhone, like any other device, is not for everyone...;)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but not everyone shares his opinions or view the aforementioned as advantages over Android. The iPhone, like any other device, is not for everyone...;)

Perhaps not, but research proves that TC has a point:

?They had bought an Android phone, by mistake, and then had sought a better experience, and a better life. And decided to check out iPhones and iOS.?

Let's see what happens after apple releases the new iPhone @ 4.7 and 5.5 inches and iOS 8. Personally, I see a bloodbath coming for android vendors, such as htc, asus, and Samsung.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've got both. An android an also an iPhone. They are both a unique experience unto themselves.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
What I find interesting: android has like 81% global market share, and yet iOS has a higher web usage share. So I interpret that to say that the majority of android users: 1) have cheap "smartphones" that are a replacement for feature phones(because it's easier for a OME to use someone else's OS than to make their own) 2) even the ones that do have "flagship" android devices aren't using them to go online. Studies have also shown that iOS users are more likely to shop online, and iOS users are 4x more likely to purchase apps than android users. All of that goes to show-IMO- that a majority of android users aren't really using their androids as smart devices-to the same level that iOS users are. http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile...keting-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What I find interesting: android has like 81% global market share, and yet iOS has a higher web usage share. So I interpret that to say that the majority of android users: 1) have cheap "smartphones" that are a replacement for feature phones(because it's easier for a OME to use someone else's OS than to make their own) 2) even the ones that do have "flagship" android devices aren't using them to go online. Studies have also shown that iOS users are more likely to shop online, and iOS users are 4x more likely to purchase apps than android users. All of that goes to show-IMO- that a majority of android users aren't really using their androids as smart devices-to the same level that iOS users are. http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile...keting-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One, that 81% figure is a misconception to begin with. It's actually closer to 52% android the rest are forked versions of android that doesn't utilize google services.
Secondly all other companies other than apple report sell-in, where apple reports sell through.
This allows companies like Samsung to artificially PUMP their marketshare by aggressively flooding the market with phones and tablets regardless if they sell or not. That tactic seems to have backfired ( I know, who knew) as Samsung reports lower than expected PROFIT.

Profitshare is where it's at, here is where it gets interesting:

BGR; said:
According to Horace Dediu, the mobile phone industry generated $215 billion in net operating profits over the past six years and Apple and Samsung combined to devour 87.9% of them.

Apple was particularly dominant, as it generated around $133 billion in profits, or just under 62% of the total. Samsung trailed far behind but still generated a healthy $56 billion in profits, or around 26% of the total. As for everyone else? Well, it wasn?t pretty. Nokia came the closest to making an impact with 9.5% of total mobile phone profits but that company?s mobile empire has collapsed and has been bought up by Microsoft. HTC (2.8% of profits), BlackBerry (1.9%), LG (1.2%) and Sony (0%) all barely registered.

Still, none of these lesser players fared nearly as badly as Motorola: The one-time mobile phone pioneer that Google unceremoniously unloaded onto Levovo earlier this year accounted for -2.8% of mobile profits for the past six years, meaning that over a six-year period the company couldn?t break even.

Apples's 15% marketshare= 62% of the MOBILE INDUSTRY's PROFITS for the past 6 years, or $133 billion out of $215 billion.
Not bad for a conmpany proclaimed to be in perpetual decline;).

if android has 100% marketshare and very little profit, what's the point?
Certainly looks like bankruptcy for some mobile phone vendors.

I can't take the credit for Dediu's work.
ne4etaha.jpg

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I run three devices concurrently on three different lines - an iPhone 5s as my primary device, a BlackBerry Q10 as secondary, almost exclusively now to access the Crackberry forums, and an SGIII occasionally to access a WhatsApp group I'm on.

I use my iPhone because of the fluidity, consistency of experience, and stability of both the device and the OS. I bring out the SGIII when I want to play phone geek. Over the last few months, as I used other phones, I kept wanting the iOS feel and the RELIABILITY of my iPhone. Finally, I bit the bullet and just accepted the fact that my iPhone is the phone that works best *for me.* I'm not saying it's better than my SGIII or my Q10; I'm saying that for the things I do and the things I want and the things I value, iPhone works, every day, all day, no drama, no surprises, no let downs. OK, so I can't change themes. OK, so I can't use live wallpapers. OK, so the file management system needs improvement. Fine. That's all true. But what I get when I grab my iPhone is a sense of satisfaction with the device that I just don't get elsewhere. Most important, I KNOW the device will be on. It won't have rebooted, it won't have bricked or nuked. It's there, working, as it should.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
iPhone, barring a few Android offerings from Motorola, still has the best battery life of all the phones to me. I always end the day with my iPhone still on, and I never have to worry about it dying.

Only Moto G comes close for me, but that's not really a flagship phone by any means. One could state the Moto X but it will never have the reliability of any iPhone, just because of the presence of Android being on there.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
All the articles like this one always seem to miss a major advantage of iPhone, NO Carrier Bloat! It's always a rude awakening when I go to use an Android device to see the OS, all my installed apps, the Manufactures Bloat, and the Carriers Bloat in one big hot mess. It gives me new appreciation of Apple & my iPhone every time ...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
All the articles like this one always seem to miss a major advantage of iPhone, NO Carrier Bloat! It's always a rude awakening when I go to use an Android device to see the OS, all my installed apps, the Manufactures Bloat, and the Carriers Bloat in one big hot mess. It gives me new appreciation of Apple & my iPhone every time ...

To be fair, you can find a good number of unlocked phones without any bloat whatsoever these days...

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got both. An android an also an iPhone. They are both a unique experience unto themselves.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Absolutely agreed I have both as well, an iPhone 5 and a Moto X, love them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
iPhone, barring a few Android offerings from Motorola, still has the best battery life of all the phones to me. I always end the day with my iPhone still on, and I never have to worry about it dying.

I hate to say it, but it's the opposite for myself. Since most of these Android flagship devices are bigger and spread out they're able to fit bigger, higher capacity batteries in them. I took my iPhone off my charger at exactly 8AM this morning and am down to 55% at 11:47AM. Streamed some Tune-In for about 20 minutes, browsed Facebook, Instagram, Tweetbot a few times since 8, some texting, and a phone call. A typical day like this for me on my Note 3, I'd probably be at about 80% or so. I would come home by 9:30PM without having to even had charge the Note and I'm in the 30 percent range. I actually agree with John Chen about iPhone users being "wall huggers" because I feel that I have to constantly keep my iPhone charging whenever I can.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but it's the opposite for myself. Since most of these Android flagship devices are bigger and spread out they're able to fit bigger, higher capacity batteries in them. I took my iPhone off my charger at exactly 8AM this morning and am down to 55% at 11:47AM. Streamed some Tune-In for about 20 minutes, browsed Facebook, Instagram, Tweetbot a few times since 8, some texting, and a phone call. A typical day like this for me on my Note 3, I'd probably be at about 80% or so. I would come home by 9:30PM without having to even had charge the Note and I'm in the 30 percent range. I actually agree with John Chen about iPhone users being "wall huggers" because I feel that I have to constantly keep my iPhone charging whenever I can.

I agree, the 5S makes it through the work day but by the time I get to the car I have to hit the charger. My lumia 1520 has a massive battery but it lasts a day and a half to two days easy. The iPhone manages battery better but for sheer time, no contest.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the 5S makes it through the work day but by the time I get to the car I have to hit the charger. My lumia 1520 has a massive battery but it lasts a day and a half to two days easy. The iPhone manages battery better but for sheer time, no contest.
However, my Galaxy S4 and my Lumia 1020 had sub-par battery life compared to the phablet sized phones like the Note 3 or Lumia 1520, so I would say the better battery life argument really depends on the overall size of the device.

I still think the iPhone has the best battery management of all the phones.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Why not consolidate and transfer the group on your iphone's whatsapp? If you don't want to reveal your main line number, then, I get it.

Good thought, and that's a big reason. I'm huge on privacy. But also I don't like how WhatsApp eats up my battery. I've got BBM on all my devices because it's less power hungry.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Only Moto G comes close for me, but that's not really a flagship phone by any means. One could state the Moto X but it will never have the reliability of any iPhone, just because of the presence of Android being on there.

Ever try the LG G2? The battery life(on stock), beats ANY phone out there!!!:p