Thinking of going from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 6s Plus?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm totally on the fence about which size of the iPhone 6s I'll upgrade to come launch date...or soon thereafter. Part of me feels like the smaller phone is a perfect fit, and my hands have gotten used to operating it easily without having to use both hands. It fits in the perfect place in my car which sits in front of the drink holders so I can tether it or use it via bluetooth to listen to my music while driving.

But...sometimes the screen seems a little small. When I'm checking out a video or movie (a rarity), I can't help but think how much cooler it would be with a little more screen real estate. Most all the folks I know that have used the iPhone 6 Plus tell me that the "bigness" goes away quickly, and it feels like they'd had it all along. But, although it does feel more comfy to me than when I initially played with it in the Verizon store before my purchase...the reality is that it's a pain to use one-handed (especially with smallish hands like mine) and...my "perfect" place for the iPhone 6 in my car will not be big enough to hold the added width of the device.

I had actually made up my mind earlier this month to get the larger 6s+...and had even purchased an Apple leather case & ZAGG glass screen protector in advance, since those things sold out quickly last year. :(

So...whose going through the same waffling over which size to get?

xNeezzy

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm totally on the fence about which size of the iPhone 6s I'll upgrade to come launch date...or soon thereafter. Part of me feels like the smaller phone is a perfect fit, and my hands have gotten used to operating it easily without having to use both hands. It fits in the perfect place in my car which sits in front of the drink holders so I can tether it or use it via bluetooth to listen to my music while driving.

But...sometimes the screen seems a little small. When I'm checking out a video or movie (a rarity), I can't help but think how much cooler it would be with a little more screen real estate. Most all the folks I know that have used the iPhone 6 Plus tell me that the "bigness" goes away quickly, and it feels like they'd had it all along. But, although it does feel more comfy to me than when I initially played with it in the Verizon store before my purchase...the reality is that it's a pain to use one-handed (especially with smallish hands like mine) and...my "perfect" place for the iPhone 6 in my car will not be big enough to hold the added width of the device.

I had actually made up my mind earlier this month to get the larger 6s+...and had even purchased an Apple leather case & ZAGG glass screen protector in advance, since those things sold out quickly last year. :(

Get the plus! You won't regret it. Yeah it's a hassle using one handed but the other things make it great! For one the screen size. This phone is great to consume media. I love watching videos on my 6 plus the 6 plus has better display quality than then the regular 6. Let's talk about the battery life, it is so much better than the regular 6, trust me. I use it with heavy use the whole day and end up with a reasonable battery percentage. At first it feels really big, but then you get used to the size it'll feel normal and you'll never go back to smaller phones

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I love the Plus. Sometimes I use it with 2 hands and I don't have small hands. The battery life makes difference to me. Choose wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on this statement, I recommend that you maintain the size of the the iPhone 6

But...sometimes the screen seems a little small. When I'm checking out a video or movie (a rarity), I can't help but think how much cooler it would be with a little more screen real estate.
Words like 'sometimes' and 'rarity' should NEVER factor in to a decision because they are remote feelings at best.
Most all the folks I know that have used the iPhone 6 Plus tell me that the "bigness" goes away quickly, and it feels like they'd had it all along. But, although it does feel more comfy to me than when I initially played with it in the Verizon store before my purchase...the reality is that it's a pain to use one-handed (especially with smallish hands like mine) and...my "perfect" place for the iPhone 6 in my car will not be big enough to hold the added width of the device.
You've basically settled your own argument, don't you think?....:)

As I've stated above, maintain the size of the iPhone 6. In my opinion, it is best for 'you' overall.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6 right now, and I will be getting the 6s plus somewhere in February for sure. Right now, I have my 6 in the mophie juice pack plus which end up making it the size of the regular 6plus, and I can still tap with one hand while the 6 is in the mophie. So I conclude that given the display and the battery of the 6 plus, I can not go wrong, and I will not really need a mophie case for it.
You will really get use to the size and sooner enough it will become your standard when it comes to smartphone.

digbel

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I think you get used to the size quickly, thats what happened to me. Only thing is does it fit in your pocket and other places properly, for example my jean pockets were too small/tight

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm going from a 6 to a 6s+ this year. Like some others, I played it safe on launch day last year and got the 6, but not long after, I found myself wanting the 6+. So I'll be going with the 6s+ this year :)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh man. I am going against the popular response on this one lol. This is only my experience. I am 6'7" with larger than average hands. With the 6, I can hit every corner of the screen with ease. I had to make zero adjustments from how I used my 3G all the way to the 5S. I was given .7" extra screen without having to change a thing.

But like you and many, I felt it might be still a tad small. And it ate at me continuously that for the first time I didn't have the highest spec'd iPhone. I have tried numerous times to love the 6+. And at times I did. But I had to change how I used the phone and I hated that. I can one hand most things on it, but I cannot just reach with my thumb to do everything. I cannot hit back buttons, I cannot always reach to pull down notification center. It requires choosing between swiping, enacting reachability, or shifting the phone in my hand. This probably sounds silly to most, but it irritated me. I was being less efficient, taking extra steps, and uncomfortable just to have a larger screen.

Best wishes to you on your decision. Hopefully you can love it like you appear to love your 6. While there are times I long to have that big beautiful screen, I know that in the end, "for me", it just doesn't justify sacrificing my overall experience.

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I like the size of the 6 now. I had the 6 plus. And I loved it. But this size seems right. And it complements my iPad better than the 6 Plus does.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the 6 now and I'm thinking about going with the 6+ in a few months. I have small hands but think I can adjust. I'm just wondering about going with the new 6s+ or the 6+ from last year? I'm thinking the device from last year might be discounted a little with the release of the new model, and that the hardware will probably be similar. I'm sure the new 6s+ will have updated specs, but thinking the 6+ from last year should be sufficient.....

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with the Plus from last year.
The new one will probably be a beast with more ram, probably a updated camera(folks are still shooting pro video with the iPhone 5 though) Force Touch technology and who knows what else.
Unless you desire the new features the current Plus will still be a great device. Choose wisely.

OceanBerry

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Beware the limited-RAM trap on last year's 6+, especially as new RAM-hungry apps come out on iOS 9. The worst thing to me about the 6/6+ is reloading web pages & resetting of app contexts when multitasking, which I blame on only 1GB of RAM with a 64-bit architecture - an unbalanced design choice on an otherwise powerful device. I hate "wasting" money and understand your point on discounts, but am considering upgrading my 6+ to a 6S+ just to get plenty of RAM and end the frustration.

I got used to the size of the 6+ quickly after really liking my 4.2" BlackBerry Z10, but miss its 2GB of RAM and great multitasking OS that rarely reloaded anything.
The 2 best things about the 6+ are large reading/viewing area and great battery life. I almost always have > 25% battery left at the end of the day, even after heavy use, unless I'm traveling and using the GPS heavily. I like the Urban Armor Gear case, which has a grippy protective edge, and adds a bit of stiffness.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with the Plus from last year.
The new one will probably be a beast with more ram, probably a updated camera(folks are still shooting pro video with the iPhone 5 though) Force Touch technology and who knows what else.
Unless you desire the new features the current Plus will still be a great device. Choose wisely.

I'm not quiet sure, but with more "RAM" and "Forced Touch", will that also effect the battery as too lasting a shorter time period? Just curious?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quiet sure, but with more "RAM" and "Forced Touch", will that also effect the battery as too lasting a shorter time period? Just curious?

It could affect the battery. 2 gigs of Ram isn't bad compared to 3-4 gigs in Samsung phones. From my understanding iOS uses ram differently than Android so iOS doesn't need gobs of ram although it can benefit from having more ram. I believe Apple will compensate for this in iOS 9 and whatever processes needed to maintain good battery life.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox