Thinking of ditching google services. Is this advisable?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the problem is I have way too many accounts for various websites and social media linked to that Gmail account, so it wouldn't do much good to switch.

They do have a import feature and gmail allows forwarding to different email accounts. But if your happy with gmail, I suppose its not worth going through that. I just thought outlook was layed out nicer, but I'm wary if a outlook account is going to carry the same cache as a gmail account. I don't think I could put a outlook.com email on a business card in other words, ha ha.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda using a hodge-podge of everything. I use Gmail, Dropbox and Hotmail. Personally I think Bing is just awful and I don't use OneDrive, nor do I use Google Drive. I do love MS Office though.

When iOS 8 launches and the updated pricing for iCloud storage is released, I may well move over to that.

I don't think it matters which provider you use, your freedom is now irrevocably compromised with each one of them to some extent. We will never, ever truly know the extent of that compromise.

I am the same way. And to the OP with all the hacking that goes on these days, it seems like no matter how large or small the company is, it can happen. For me, I like what I get with Google and even though they "know everything about me" it is not a huge deal. (If you think that is bad, just realize what the government does each and everyday) I use gmail, outlook,yahoo among others, so I spread out the load, but it's not because I was worried about having all my data in one place, I just like trying out different email clients and also use certain emails for certain things. And I agree with the other poster about bing being terrible.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am the same way. And to the OP with all the hacking that goes on these days, it seems like no matter how large or small the company is, it can happen. For me, I like what I get with Google and even though they "know everything about me" it is not a huge deal. (If you think that is bad, just realize what the government does each and everyday) I use gmail, outlook,yahoo among others, so I spread out the load, but it's not because I was worried about having all my data in one place, I just like trying out different email clients and also use certain emails for certain things. And I agree with the other poster about bing being terrible.

I was considering making outlook.com my main email because I like its clean look and simplicity. But, although it might sound superficial, I kinda feel like hotmail (and therefore outlook.com) is still a laugh stick to users.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been using outlook.com for a while now and love it. It's a very clean interface and I have office 365 also.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a YouTube account and 4 gmail accounts. That's all I do with Google. I use Bing in Safari, and that works fine. I have a Google+ account, but don't use it. I'll keep my gmail accounts because it would be way too much trouble to make all the necessary changes. There's too many. But i also have my iCloud, Comcast and Outlook email accounts. I'm looking into switching from YouTube to Vimeo or some other video service.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've also been thinking about doing the same. But I don't think I'll be able to go through with it.

In my opinion, there's no match to YouTube. That's something I just can't quite living without.

Google search is irreplaceable.

I'm very invested into Google Drive, and don't think I could switch over to OneDrive.

Been using Gmail for 3 years. Have a lot of important stuff in there that I do mind losing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've also been thinking about doing the same. But I don't think I'll be able to go through with it.

In my opinion, there's no match to YouTube. That's something I just can't quite living without.

I'm very invested into Google Drive, and don't think I could switch over to OneDrive.

Been using Gmail for 3 years. Have a lot of important stuff in there that I do mind losing.
What makes Google Search irreplaceable for you? I rarely use it. I don't have the app on my screen. I do have the bookmarklet for it. It works just like the app. But I use Safari for most of my searching. Do you use the mic?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Gdrive does have a option to export your data, do they not?

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought of switching from gmail to iCloud email at one point, but my main concern was all the websites and services I had subscribed to which use my gmail address. It seemed extremely troublesome to have to go back and change all of them, and I don't even remember what I subscribe to. Not to mention having to inform all my friends and colleagues about this change.

How do people work around this?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought of switching from gmail to iCloud email at one point, but my main concern was all the websites and services I had subscribed to which use my gmail address. It seemed extremely troublesome to have to go back and change all of them, and I don't even remember what I subscribe to. Not to mention having to inform all my friends and colleagues about this change.

How do people work around this?

I went through similar pain switching from my yahoo to my gmail account a few years ago. Basically you have to keep both accounts open, and occasionally check on the older one once a week or so to see if you missed anything, then convert it as you're made aware of it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I went through similar pain switching from my yahoo to my gmail account a few years ago. Basically you have to keep both accounts open, and occasionally check on the older one once a week or so to see if you missed anything, then convert it as you're made aware of it.

I wish there was a way to just import all my emails from my Gmail account and just transfer the whole account over :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough I did just buy a nexus 5, even though I just made this thread about ditching google , lol. I wanted to buy the nexus5 because I was getting bored with iOS. But now I'm wondering if I should return it :/ iOS 8 is going to add quite a bit of functionality.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice