Thinking of ditching google services. Is this advisable?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I've been going back and forth over the past month or so wether I want to ditch my gmail, google search, google drive, and other google services in favor of outlook.com, bing, one drive, and office.or whatever other services may be better or recommended. I do want to keep using YouTube though.

Honestly, it's mainly that I kinda am squirmy about google knowing practically everything bout me. I'm usually not a paranoid person, or at least I try not to be, but I just can't seeing trusting one company with so much data as a wise thing. And it's not just worrying about what google themselves might do, but what would happen if they ever were hacked or sabotaged from a bad employee or something.

But is this advisable? Are these services going to be as good or better than googles? And are these concerns even warranted with google to the point of not using any of there services? I know some people I read think google is kinda the evil empire, but I know that the a lot of other tech columnists I read seem to be be fans of google services. So really, I don't know. It's giving me a headache trying to figure it out. I've considered trying my own email domain with fast-mail, but I dont know about paying for email when I don't use it for things like business or whatever.

What do you guys think? How do you guys tackle this stuff? What do you use? I may just use google search and YouTube. But again, I still don't know. Seems like apple is breaking off from google anyway.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda using a hodge-podge of everything. I use Gmail, Dropbox and Hotmail. Personally I think Bing is just awful and I don't use OneDrive, nor do I use Google Drive. I do love MS Office though.

When iOS 8 launches and the updated pricing for iCloud storage is released, I may well move over to that.

I don't think it matters which provider you use, your freedom is now irrevocably compromised with each one of them to some extent. We will never, ever truly know the extent of that compromise.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda using a hodge-podge of everything. I use Gmail, Dropbox and Hotmail. Personally I think Bing is just awful and I don't use OneDrive, nor do I use Google Drive. I do love MS Office though.

When iOS 8 launches and the updated pricing for iCloud storage is released, I may well move over to that.

I don't think it matters which provider you use, your freedom is now irrevocably compromised with each one of them to some extent. We will never, ever truly know the extent of that compromise.

My only issue with dropbox is that their paid tiers are too pricey. I have 7gbs with them via referrals and what not, but not sure if that's enough.

It's just googles a bit different because there whole business is as related. I don't know if there going to sell that info or not.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Dropbox for several years, and have over 100 GB with them. As a Technology Twitt, I have always had multiple devices, with Dropbox on all of them and have never had a problem of any kind.

I use Google as well though, docs, spreadsheets, and two email accounts. Although I am concerned about my online privacy as much as my offline, I feel comfortable with what I'm using.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
iPad Air / Space Gray / 16GB
T-Mobile * 5GB Data

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Dropbox for several years, and have over 100 GB with them. As a Technology Twitt, I have always had multiple devices, with Dropbox on all of them and have never had a problem of any kind.

I use Google as well though, docs, spreadsheets, and two email accounts. Although I am concerned about my online privacy as much as my offline, I feel comfortable with what I'm using.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
T-Mobile * 5GB Data

How did you get 100gbs? Do you pay for it?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I subscribe, plus take advantage of uploading pictures, referrals, and getting additional storage etc.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
T-Mobile * 5GB Data

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I subscribe, plus take advantage of uploading pictures, referrals, and getting additional storage etc.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
T-Mobile * 5GB Data

I thought about maybe doing the subscription, but 100 dollars was pretty steep. Espeacily compared to one drive and google drive pricing.

I like googles services, I really do. I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting. But still was a bit leery. I do like outlook.com, or at least the way it looks. But I do most email through phone apps any.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My email app, on both iPhone and iPad is Altamail. I just started using it a few days ago, and having tried so many others (and always feeling as though something was missing) this app is offers the functionality & flexibility I have been looking for in a mobile email app.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
T-Mobile * 5GB Data

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My only issue with dropbox is that their paid tiers are too pricey. I have 7gbs with them via referrals and what not, but not sure if that's enough.

It's just googles a bit different because there whole business is as related. I don't know if there going to sell that info or not.

I have had Dropbox for just over a year and have a free 30gig with them, so i'm quite pleased with that.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been away from google for quite some time and have not looked back.. It's advisable to check out other storage services, all have pro's and cons but all depends on what you may have to spend.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Google stopped being my default service after I joined iCloud, and I don't have any regrets about it. I still have an account, but it's tertiary at best.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The only Google services I use are YouTube, Gmail, and Search, which I honestly think I couldn't move away from. There isn't an alternative to YouTube that is very good, Bing is all right, but I prefer Google, and I guess if I really wanted I could stop using Gmail and use iCloud. I wouldn't move away from Google services right now, but maybe sometime in the future. I'm not a fan of them knowing everything about me. :raised-eyebrow:

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I would like to use other email services, but Gmail works too well. I have considered switching to Apple, but until I can get something other than @icloud (that is a horrible domain name for email IMHO) I will will stick with Gmail. Plus their stuff works perfectly on everything I use.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The only Google services I use are YouTube, Gmail, and Search, which I honestly think I couldn't move away from. There isn't an alternative to YouTube that is very good, Bing is all right, but I prefer Google, and I guess if I really wanted I could stop using Gmail and use iCloud. I wouldn't move away from Google services right now, but maybe sometime in the future. I'm not a fan of them knowing everything about me. :raised-eyebrow:

Have you considered outlook.com? From what I've seen it's pretty good.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had Dropbox for just over a year and have a free 30gig with them, so i'm quite pleased with that.

I don't know how people get that much storage for free. I've done referrals and those getting starting things, even linked mailbox and enabled auto upload, and I only have 7.25gbs with them.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I need Google maps and Hangouts, and that's why I still use Google...

I feel Google's just too important a software company at this point to neglect even if you are just a casual user.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I need Google maps and Hangouts, and that's why I still use Google...

I feel Google's just too important a software company at this point to neglect even if you are just a casual user.

Well, maybe not neglect. But it at least maybe don't want to rely on them so much. I still want to use maps and chrome. I'll still probably use search and gmail. But I'm probably going to use onedrive/dropbox/iCloud drive over gdrive, I'll use google docs if I need to for school or whatever , but I'm probably going to pay for office 365 so I can get office and 1TB of onedrive space. And as far as video calling goes, I never use it. If I did, I'll then decide between hangouts or skype. As far as email, I'll hang onto my outlook.com account. And I still like it, may even forward my gmail to it.