Thinking of Cutting the Cable Cord? My thoughts.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought my used Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig model last May when we decided to cut the cord with our local cable TV provider WOW. I have the channels app and a HDHomeRun setup for local TV channels and Direct TV now deluxe package for the other channels.

We have a basic 50MPS connection that cost 30 dollars a month along with the Direct TV now package that is $70.00, we where paying close to $180.00 a month for cable. So our total savings is $80.00 a month. This savings pays a large portion of our property taxes and I couldn't be happier.

When we first subscribed to Direct TV Now, we didn't have the local channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. Since that time, we now have all the local channels and a few more have popped up and our bill is still the same cost. Not like cable who kept raising our rates and removing some of the channels as part of their package consolidation methods.

I do miss the cable remote which allowed me to select the channel i wanted by a number compared to scrolling through the Direct TV menus with the Apple remote. But for the money we are saving, I have learned to adapt. The picture quality of the Direct TV streaming service has been vastly improved, at first we would get server loading errors and the service would go down for a few hours at a time.

But the past few months the service has been great and I haven't noticed any difference in the picture quality compared to my cable company. I watch the golf channel, hockey college and pro football and it's as good as any cable service. My initial investment for my entire system has been as follows:

Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig used $80.00
HDHomeRun box used 50.00
Arris Cable model used 20.00
Total Equipment investment $150.00

If you where thinking about cutting the cable cord, I would say go for it, even with the few quirks I get now and then, the cost savings has been well worth it for my brother and myself and we are not looking back.

Another nice feature is we are planning on moving to Florida in the near future and we can take our equipment with us and all we need is a cable connection, give our router MAC ID to the new cable company and sign in to our Apple TV and Direct TV now accounts and we are back in business. Just thought I would pass it along.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Would love to do that and switch to DTV Now but the biggest thing(s) holding me back are live sports, specifically NFL and MLB.

For NFL, I like the Packers and live here in the DC area, so I use Sunday Ticket. NFL does have a streaming package but it's after the games are over and not sure I can do that (I don't even like to pause the game and be behind, didn't see a lot of the super bowl commercials because of that lol). For MLB, I like the Nationals which is in-market and they're played on a network that is cable-only, not local channel, and has no streaming option. MLB.tv follows the black out rules so I wouldn't be able to do that.

So I'm 0/2 for the time being ... and not looking to do IP stuff with VPN etc to get it to work. Just means more troubleshooting for me if someone can't watch what they want ;)

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
A friend of mine hasn't switched for the same reason as you. The one thing that really ticks me off is ESPN with their dam commercial breaks and that annoying music they put in the middle of sporting events. They still have commercials during the sporting broadcast, but they have to include that annoying feature. But as I said in my post, there are always trade offs and for the money we are saving, I will put up with it.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I cut the cord about a year ago as well and havent looked back. I was paying $165/mo. and since I cut Im paying $54. I have the Directv Now basic package which got me all the channels I watch and HBO for $10/mo. when At&t had the promo. I use hdhomeruns and emby ($4.99/mo.) for my locals and a DVR, my internet is 100mbps for $39.99/mo.

Directv Now’s DVR will be out within the next few months and at that point I’ll do everything through that service.

As for sports, all my Detroit sports are either on OTA channels or the local Fox Sports Channel Directv Now offers. L

Havent looked back and doubt I ever will.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cut the cord years ago and haven’t looked back. Initially, I think I started with SlingTV, but am now using the DirectV Now service in addition to Netflix and Hulu. I’m a happy camper.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't be any happier, saved a bunch of money. I'm an AT&T customer so I get a great deal on DirecTV Now.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
We cut cable about eight years ago. Don't miss it at all. We use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, and an OTA TiVO DVR. A few times a year we will subscribe to PlayStation Vue, Sling TV, or DirecTV Now (like if I want to watch my local MLB team or Monday Night Football). Just with those few services and Blu-rays we have way too much entertainment and can't get around to a fraction of it.

We use an Xbox One S and Apple TV 4K for our main streaming boxes. The Apple TV and iTunes will be the go to for rentals and purchases (unless Vudu happens to have a better sale).

If the ISPs or content providers try and pull a fast one by overcharging (or something else crazy) for these services I don't need entertainment. I can do something else with my time.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We haven't had cable in years. When we finally were able to get some decent high speed internet, we purchased a roku box and I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. My Mother in law has Dish, and I've been able to sign in to a few of the channels with her credentials.

My husband is a member of the Knights of Columbus, and they have had cable or satellite forever, mainly for sports. They just cut the cord, purchased two roku boxes and have subscribed to Playstation Vue at a fraction of the cost. They are paying $45.00 a month, which is the 2nd tier, because that's how they are able to get all the sports channels. Some of the guys were really concerned that it wouldn't be as good, but it is and everybody is happy.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Awesome stories. We're in the middle of the "cut the cord" conversation and I'm curious to know if DirecTV Now is available to anyone as we are not an AT&T customer.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Awesome stories. We're in the middle of the "cut the cord" conversation and I'm curious to know if DirecTV Now is available to anyone as we are not an AT&T customer.

Anyone can get it. At&t just happens to offer some deals on it with their other services.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I was an early adopter to DirectvNOW so I have their Go Big package (normally $60 I believe) for $35. I also added a few movie packages so I'm around $45 a month. Paired with Netflix and Hulu and I'm golden.

They've said they plan to add cloud dvr services this summer so I look forward to that. My area only has one local channel so far unfortunately though. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

I have my DirectvNOW running through my FireStick. I do occasionally have issues with stuttering but I hear that's more an issue with the Firestick rather than DirectvNOW. I intend on upgrading my AppleTV to one of the recent models soon.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is sometimes going the streaming only route can cost the same or more as cable/satellite. It's still a better deal being you aren't stuck in a contract and can add to/reduce/cancel streaming services however you see fit to match your budget. Plus, you have absolute freedom in the hardware you use.

There also may be onetime upfront equipment costs if you have a crappy wireless router and modem and need to upgrade or need to spend more per month on higher Internet speeds.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
We took a serious look at doing this last year since our contract with Xfinity was going to be up in October. We ended up staying for one big reason. Surround sound. Pretty much all cable channels have some sort of surround sound up to 5.1 audio. Netflix does as well on many thing. However ALL of the streaming services that serve up current content (Hulu etc.) are all 2.0 sound which just blows. We couldn't do it. I still can't believe that in 2018 services like Hulu don't have surround sound for content that was broadcast with it.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I cut the cord at the beginning of this month to try it. Only saved 20 bucks though considering there's only one internet provider available here. I went with a firestick for my set up. When my subscription based service is available to be installed on the Apple TV then I will pick up A newer model. Sooo:

3x Firesticks= $120
Internet 101mbps w/750gb data allowance/monthly = $140
Terrarium app = Free
Setvnow 500+ channels = $20/month

Total monthly cost = $160

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I cut the cord at the beginning of this month to try it. Only saved 20 bucks though considering there's only one internet provider available here. I went with a firestick for my set up. When my subscription based service is available to be installed on the Apple TV then I will pick up A newer model. Sooo:

3x Firesticks= $120
Internet 101mbps w/750gb data allowance/monthly = $140
Terrarium app = Free
Setvnow 500+ channels = $20/month

Total monthly cost = $160

My god! That is an insane price for internet. Where are you that you have that high of a cost as well as data caps?

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My god! That is an insane price for internet. Where are you that you have that high of a cost as well as data caps?

Out in a country area. Literally every town and city that surrounds us have atleast 5 different option all unlimited with great speed. So the company that's here basically tips people off due to the fact they are the only one available other than satellite internet (very bad). So at one point I was paying $100 for 25mbps w/ 500gb allowance. They just recently updated their price and added a new tier. So now it's

50mbps 500gb $100, 101mbps 750gb $140, 150mbps 1tb $200.

in conclusion of it wasnt for the high price of internet I'd probably be paying around 60 to 70 bucks intotal. But I do suggest taking a look at settv if you have a different steaming device other than the apple tv. They offer a 24 hour trial also.

Bbnivende

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In Alberta Canada I cut the cable with TELUS PIK . For $10 get your basic Canadian channels plus 5 specialty channels.

The best part is that there is now a PIK app available though Apple TV. It works really well so far. Better than the Android box I was using. I moved that box to a second TV . Having regular TV channels though my Apple TV is a dream come true.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Northeastern US, and just got a Apple TV 4k today with a Directv Now 1-week trial. Up until now I've been a Cox customer (full boat - phone, internet and cable), paying more and more for less and kess. Finally had enough of their latest gen Contour, which is the slowest and clunkiest version yet, and needs more reboots than any of the previous iterations.

Anyway, it's a huge change for wife and me, though she's more versed wth streaming services than I. Right off the bat, I miss my all-in-one remote and the dearth of controls on Apple's. And to say I'm not a big fan of the track pad Apple remote is a mild understatement. I've yet to figure out how to search and select from the DTV channel guide. We've got a week to decide if we're going to stick with it and cut the cable or go back to the tried and, well, the tried. We've also got Netflix and Hulu, the former I watch occasionally, the latter not at all. All together, it adds up to big changes in how I watch TV, and frankly I'm quite apprehensive about it. I know quite a few people who've told their cable companies to go pound sand, which is the only reason I've gone this far (well, that and Cox's incessant greed).

So.... all that being said, I'm open to any suggestions to get the most out of a cable-free environment and make this experiment a success. I look at the basic Apple TV selections the same as Netflix -- it's such a big pile of crap that I have no idea where to start unless I know exactly what I'm looking for, which I frequently don't. That's why the traditional tv schedule has worked for me so far. How does everybody else wade through these quagmires of crap to find good stuff to watch?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen