Thinking about buying a Nexus 5 from google

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you sold it on Swappa you could likely do fairly well. I think...think if you just reset it without taking it to 7.1 you can re-jailbreak it for sale. I've thought about selling of my 2 5s' but I can't think of what I' rather have so I'm still holding on to them both. I don't wanna get something android again and then regret not having both my iPhones.

Sent from 3 f IV ��

Why does it have to be all in or all out? Why can't you keep one iPhone and get, say, an M8 to replace the second one?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Why does it have to be all in or all out? Why can't you keep one iPhone and get, say, an M8 to replace the second one?

Well, I for one don't feel the M8 a worthy replacement to a 5s. ...perhaps hold out for the LG G3 or get a Sony Z2. The M8 is metal...and that's a start, albeit a tiny start, ....but it's camera, from what I've read, leaves some to be desired, unlike the 5s'.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

That's what I've been doing and it works out fine. I wanted something more stable and nice looking than my Moto X so I went for the 5s. Started missing the X a bit and just picked it back up. Its nice to have the option of two completely different platforms. Keeps them both from getting stake over time.

Sent from my XT1053 using iMore Forums mobile app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just don't do enough to see the difference in performance. So for me, it's the visual aspect of it. I've always thought that the 5/5s was kind of ugly (No offense to anyone). I guess I just really didn't overcome it.

I'm thinking on it... But I haven't ever sold an iPhone before. Need to make sure I clear it properly and be able to sell it with JB still on.

?Sent from space using Tapatalk.?

I'm actually starting to feel the same way, used the 5c for awhile now and to go back to a Gold from the Yellow poly for me makes me feel slightly torn, and they do appeal different sides of me.

The Gold - the elegance.
The Yellow - the playfulness.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually starting to feel the same way, used the 5c for awhile now and to go back to a Gold from the Yellow poly for me makes me feel slightly torn, and they do appeal different sides of me.

The Gold - the elegance.
The Yellow - the playfulness.

I'm constantly having to dress in formal clothing. Most of my things are black and elegant.

I need that playfulness. It breaks up my utterly mundane day. I swear I smile at it at least once in a 24 hour period if not more.
?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm constantly having to dress in formal clothing. Most of my things are black and elegant.

I need that playfulness. It breaks up my utterly mundane day. I swear I smile at it at least once in a 24 hour period if not more.
?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

My parents did this as well. They really enjoyed they could chose a color for themselves.. Also helps to know which phone is which :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

zeyned

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Bull**** ! Apple users should not ever turn to android ****s ! Android sucks ! It always lags ! 😝

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Bull**** ! Apple users should not ever turn to android ****s ! Android sucks ! It always lags ! 😝

Please refrain from making untrue and fanboyistic posts like these.

Android is pretty fantastic in its own right, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean that tons of other people don't like it as well- and this is coming from an iPad, iPhone, and iMac user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Bull**** ! Apple users should not ever turn to android ****s ! Android sucks ! It always lags ! ��

What a well-thought out, perfectly crafted, captivating, utterly cerebral post. I don't know what we'd do without you.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Please refrain from making untrue and fanboyistic posts like these.

Android is pretty fantastic in its own right, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean that tons of other people don't like it as well- and this is coming from an iPad, iPhone, and iMac user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good device. I really don't have any complaints about it. The battery life was sufficient in my opinion. The OS is smooth and fast. The screen has a higher resolution and bigger size. I got the 32 GB model, but the cloud services Google offers is abundant. For the price, there isn't another device better in my opinion. But...the iPhone 5S is probably the best smartphone I have owned and I have had a lot of them. The screen is smaller, but I have not found it to be problem ever. The phone is fast and smooth despite the hardware specifications being less than the competition. The feature set is efficient. A lot of the gimmicks that I see other platforms or manufacturers use to perform certain tasks I have found that the iPhone can achieve those tasks as well in a more practical and efficient manner. Then we get to the design. Last week I saw the the M8 and thought it was the best looking device hat I had ever seen. But I had to later recant that. I think it was the brushed metal backing that really struck me and the placement of the dual cameras that was so attractive. But when I look at my gold iPhone, there is just no other device that rivals it's perfection. And then there are the little practical things that just makes more sense. The digital lightning port that can be plugged in on either side (the Nexus 5 charging port isn't the best and the Note 3 charging port is awkward). Mute switch. Home button with fingerprint scanner. And then when you consider how universal the iPhone is; the accessories can be found everywhere, they are compatible with all kinds of other electronics/automobiles, and just about every company that has an app has one in the Apple store. The multimedia ecosystem is just that good.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Actually, I think you are ignoring one of the great features of the Nexus, you never have to plug it in. Instead you simply place it on the Qi charger. Absolute great way to charge a phone. I bought a Nexus 5 and have used it now for a week. I really like having the Notifications LED on the Nexus, I can tell what notifications I have before I pick up the phone. The biggest issue for me is screen size, with my eyesight (as I've aged), the 5s screen only being 65% as large as the Nexus makes a real difference.

Also, it seems like many of the complaints here have been fixed. The problems with the camera have been fixed (though admittedly it isn't as good as the iPhone camera). I've haven't had issues with WiFi and, from what I can tell, it was only an issue when it was first released and was fixed with an update. The low volume issue Google responded to with both a software fix, as well as a slight hardware change. I'll also disagree that the Nexus antennas don't work as well (not sure if that was something fixed or someone just had a bad Nexus); I've seen little difference between the two in my usage.

I'll agree that battery life is similar between the Nexus and the 5s, and both could use larger batteries if you use your device heavily. When I don't use my phone much, I end the day with 2/3 to 3/4 of my battery left. I've not had a seriously heavy day with the Nexus, yet, and heavy days with the iPhone I killed the battery in less than 4 hours. From my experience so far, the Nexus would have about the same life. As far as speed, I'd say that the Nexus and the 5s perform similarly.

I'll agree with dkhmwilliams that the Nexus is absolutely the best phone there is for the money. Which phone you prefer will likely come down to personal preference, and frequently if you prefer iOS or Android. Personally, I like both, and using the Nexus 5 and my iPad works well for me. While there would be advantages to using a phone and tablet with the same OS, using one of each allows me to have the advantages of each.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think you are ignoring one of the great features of the Nexus, you never have to plug it in. Instead you simply place it on the Qi charger. Absolute great way to charge a phone.

I use a Nexus 5 (among other devices; but it's my primary phone) and I haven't plugged it in since probably New Years. Wireless charging is brilliant! I usually only plug it in to root it, which I must do after every OTA update. I keep it completely stock, except I root it because I use a couple apps that require root.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't. The Nexus 5 uses a Micro Sim I used to have one for a week LOL. Like Heisenberg said I give you at least week before you get rid of the Nexus. I just can't stand Android anymore.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Which makes her not so brilliant ;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand that the carriers in US have iPhone specific text plan so if you are going to hop between phones expect some problems there.

pottyvick

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I understand that the carriers in US have iPhone specific text plan so if you are going to hop between phones expect some problems there.

I have never heard of this and im in the US... Maybe small carriers do but not the four major ones..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen