Thinking about buying a Nexus 5 from google

Trappiste

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I returned the nexus 5 as well. The screen is a little washed out, the battery life and camera are terrible, and the cell radios are weak.

Given that IP5 and 5S have rather mediocre if not outright poor antenna performance, the Nexus has to be quite horrible if its radios are significantly weaker... but it is LG, so I would not be too surprised if that was indeed the case. One wonders why Google will not make the Nexus a Motorola product line.

Caleb Pelton

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is being typed on a Nexus 5 that I dropped the iPhone 5 for. To each their own, but the Nexus is an awesome device who's stats and price point are unbeatable. Android is different from iOS and for some very hard to get used to. I swap between my iPhone and Nexus with no issues, but my iPhone has been dead and dormant for about three months. Both are good devices. For now, I prefer the Nexus.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile from AT&T to get unlimited data. T-Mobile will pay my ETF if I trade my phone in which would be my iPhone. I would get the M8 but if I decided to go ahead and get the Nexus 5 I could just use it through T-Mobile and not have to get a phone through them or pay a monthly payment on a phone. But I'm digging the M8.

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

You could also get the 32 GB version which I think is only available through Google.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
You could also get the 32 GB version which I think is only available through Google.

I'd read and watch videos of reviews on it first though. I've heard that the battery only lasts 3-4hrs it the screen is on for that long. Plus, there is a glitch that wakes up the phone when you open the YouTube app (even for a second) and drains the battery behind your back.

I thought about getting the Nexus as my next phone but I have the TMobile S4 which just got the KitKat update running Nova Launcher Pro and I have no reason to get it now. My screen is .05" bigger and I have more features.

The M8 is a pretty good phone though. Haven't read/watched many reviews on it yet cause I've been distracted (usually I am up to snuff on this stuff ahhh!) but I am about to starting tonight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good device. I really don't have any complaints about it. The battery life was sufficient in my opinion. The OS is smooth and fast. The screen has a higher resolution and bigger size. I got the 32 GB model, but the cloud services Google offers is abundant. For the price, there isn't another device better in my opinion. But...the iPhone 5S is probably the best smartphone I have owned and I have had a lot of them. The screen is smaller, but I have not found it to be problem ever. The phone is fast and smooth despite the hardware specifications being less than the competition. The feature set is efficient. A lot of the gimmicks that I see other platforms or manufacturers use to perform certain tasks I have found that the iPhone can achieve those tasks as well in a more practical and efficient manner. Then we get to the design. Last week I saw the the M8 and thought it was the best looking device hat I had ever seen. But I had to later recant that. I think it was the brushed metal backing that really struck me and the placement of the dual cameras that was so attractive. But when I look at my gold iPhone, there is just no other device that rivals it's perfection. And then there are the little practical things that just makes more sense. The digital lightning port that can be plugged in on either side (the Nexus 5 charging port isn't the best and the Note 3 charging port is awkward). Mute switch. Home button with fingerprint scanner. And then when you consider how universal the iPhone is; the accessories can be found everywhere, they are compatible with all kinds of other electronics/automobiles, and just about every company that has an app has one in the Apple store. The multimedia ecosystem is just that good.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good device. I really don't have any complaints about it. The battery life was sufficient in my opinion. The OS is smooth and fast. The screen has a higher resolution and bigger size. I got the 32 GB model, but the cloud services Google offers is abundant. For the price, there isn't another device better in my opinion. But...the iPhone 5S is probably the best smartphone I have owned and I have had a lot of them. The screen is smaller, but I have not found it to be problem ever. The phone is fast and smooth despite the hardware specifications being less than the competition. The feature set is efficient. A lot of the gimmicks that I see other platforms or manufacturers use to perform certain tasks I have found that the iPhone can achieve those tasks as well in a more practical and efficient manner. Then we get to the design. Last week I saw the the M8 and thought it was the best looking device hat I had ever seen. But I had to later recant that. I think it was the brushed metal backing that really struck me and the placement of the dual cameras that was so attractive. But when I look at my gold iPhone, there is just no other device that rivals it's perfection. And then there are the little practical things that just makes more sense. The digital lightning port that can be plugged in on either side (the Nexus 5 charging port isn't the best and the Note 3 charging port is awkward). Mute switch. Home button with fingerprint scanner. And then when you consider how universal the iPhone is; the accessories can be found everywhere, they are compatible with all kinds of other electronics/automobiles, and just about every company that has an app has one in the Apple store. The multimedia ecosystem is just that good.

This.

How does the Nexus' battery life compare to the iPhone's?

Sent from my MF080LL/A 🔘

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It would depend on what you are doing with it. Screen time, I would say that the Nexus 5 is a little better but standby time on the iPhone is better. If you are a person who does mostly texting, emailing, calls, maybe some music, but not much else, the iPhone will give you great battery life. On my work days I usually come home after 10 hours with about 75 percent because I usually just text and make a few phone calls and send out some emails. But if I start watching videos, the battery will drain fast. Same with games. The Nexus is constantly processing thing a in the background so the standby time isn't going to be as good. On a normal workday, I'm coming home with about 50 percent.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It would depend on what you are doing with it. Screen time, I would say that the Nexus 5 is a little better but standby time on the iPhone is better. If you are a person who does mostly texting, emailing, calls, maybe some music, but not much else, the iPhone will give you great battery life. On my work days I usually come home after 10 hours with about 75 percent because I usually just text and make a few phone calls and send out some emails. But if I start watching videos, the battery will drain fast. Same with games. The Nexus is constantly processing thing a in the background so the standby time isn't going to be as good. On a normal workday, I'm coming home with about 50 percent.

Thanks. I was really thinking about getting a Nexus just to have something different, though I love me iPhones.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine getting the M8. In our sister site for Android, I've been reading a couple not so good reviews on it. I've never been an HTC fan though after they burned me with their horrific Sense UI.

It's not my style of phone for my choice of Android without a removable battery anyways.

I'm thinking my Note 3 may be the last Android phone I buy for now. When it dies, I'll replace it then.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile from AT&T to get unlimited data. T-Mobile will pay my ETF if I trade my phone in which would be my iPhone. I would get the M8 but if I decided to go ahead and get the Nexus 5 I could just use it through T-Mobile and not have to get a phone through them or pay a monthly payment on a phone. But I'm digging the M8.

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

If T-Mobile works in all the areas you want and need it to, I say go for the switch! I've loved having to not worry about how much data I use. Some months I'll use only 2-5GB though I've done upwards of 30GB. It's nice to not have to think about it and instead just enjoy it.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods