Things I love about my Apple Watch!

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the 42mm SG Sport and im loving my Apple Watch. It already feels like an extension of myself and I feel naked without it on my wrist now. It's not perfect but for a first gen product I'm very happy with it. We've only had a taste of the possibilities of this watch. The future is very bright. Ok, things I love about it..

1. Quick text response
2. Being able to receive or dismiss phone calls without reaching for phone and although speaker volume is low for phone calls a quick 10-20 sec hello works.
3. Tapping the date on watch face (complications) and seeing my calendar schedule for the upcoming week.
4. How light it is.
5. Being able to see how many calories I've burned and steps during the day is a motivator to stay active.
6. Easily setting stopwatch or timer (I use this a lot)
7. Notifications without having to take phone out

I've noticed that I grab for my phone a lot less which prevents me from getting distracted from other things like FB, Instagram etc. and that's a good thing! What are some of you favorite features?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have the same watch. I agree with all of your comments. I am torn on the set up of my watch screen, and which complications to add. I currently use the modular watch..I have changed the middle on a bunch - from weather to calendar, to date. I find it annoying that it tells me if I have no appointments left for the day. Seems like a waste of space. I have to think more what I want to see at a glance. I also like to tap on the date and see more details on the calendar if I want to - with taps when an appointment is coming up.

jfattizzi

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I love the fact that i dont have duplicate notifications on my watch and phone. Its smart enough to know when i have the phone opened not to alert me on my watch and when the phone is in my pocket it knows to only alert me on my watch.

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Mickey Mouse face with the date at the bottom and the weather and stopwatch in upper corners. I was using the battery indicator as a complication but the battery isn't even an issue so I no longer use it. I also like the utility watch face. The Modular face imo is too "gadgety" looking for me but I do like the extra complications you get with using it.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the Mickey Mouse face with the date at the bottom and the weather and stopwatch in upper corners. I was using the battery indicator as a complication but the battery isn't even an issue so I no longer use it. I also like the utility watch face. The Modular face imo is too "gadgety" looking for me but I do like the extra complications you get with using it.

I"m with you. The battery life on the watch is no issue for me, either, so I removed the complication from the watch face. Now I have room for a timer.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I love the fact that i dont have duplicate notifications on my watch and phone. Its smart enough to know when i have the phone opened not to alert me on my watch and when the phone is in my pocket it knows to only alert me on my watch.

I just noticed that it was doing that today. I got a text, and my phone didn't light up, but my watch gave me a tap. Brilliant! The reason I've turned off any sound on my iPad and MacBook Pro, and keep my iPhone on vibrate, is having all my devices ring when I got a text was driving my crazy. It was overkill.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya same way a Mac and iPhone work. If you are on iMessage on the Mac. Then don't answer the message. It will then alert your phone. I am glad it will do the same on the watch

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Ya same way a Mac and iPhone work. If you are on iMessage on the Mac. Then don't answer the message. It will then alert your phone. I am glad it will do the same on the watch

That hasn't been my experience with OS X and iOS. If I have my Mac, iPad and iPhone in the house, they all ding and I'm notified at the same time, for every message. The only thing it does do is if I read it on one device, it shows read on all devices, via APN. What's happening here, is my Watch is tapping me for a text, but the phone isn't making a sound nor vibing.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
You have to have iMessage open on Mac. Just tested it and it works. If I don't acknowledge it it will activate on my iPhone.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You have to have iMessage open on Mac. Just tested it and it works. If I don't acknowledge it it will activate on my iPhone.

Hmmm....we not be talking about the same thing. I get simultaneous notifications on my OS X and iOS devices, and in the scenario I posted above, I am running Messages on my Mac. With the Watch and iPhone, so far, in the last couple days I've noticed it, it seems to know when I'm on my Watch, and with both devices' screens OFF, it will buzz my Watch and not the iPhone, or if I'm on the iPhone, it will not buzz the watch. Two sets of circumstances, and two sets of behaviors. Point is I think it's pretty great that it gets smarter about notifications. I'm so tired of four devices dinging every time I get a message. While this won't prevent the iPad or Mac from dinging, it does prevent the phone from doing so.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh I like this. Something the pebble cannot do

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That is something I didn't know, I see you can have your watch set to be a few minutes fast, thats how I set up my analogue watch now, that way I always have a few minutes extra if I am late for something..... crazy I know but I find it helps.....

But does collections mean you can have the same watch face with different complications saved? so for instance a few guys have said the battery monitor isn't used much as their usage doesn't warrant it, but you could have another face with that included and just swap to it? or is is just as quick to modify the one you are using.?

If so I see possibilities of watch faces saved for different days, different requirements, etc etc.

This should help you:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apdb0c5fb937

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
But does collections mean you can have the same watch face with different complications saved? so for instance a few guys have said the battery monitor isn't used much as their usage doesn't warrant it, but you could have another face with that included and just swap to it?

Yes.

TimmyB20

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I like being able to control ur music from the watch! For gym purposes and for in car purposes as well. Does anyone have the apple car thing? I would love to have one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimmyB20

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site

See I have had this where I was using my phone and receive a text, I wish it would come through on my watch so I could respond on the watch without stopping what I am doing. even with quick reply like if I am using a video conference.

Posted via the iMore App for Android