These kind of things made an iPhone indispensable

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I'm not trying to create any kind of polemics, just to post something that just happened and made me think I'll always need to have an iPhone nearby.

I'm a teacher and, these days as you can imagine, I'm facing the need to record video classes to send to my pupils, so they can continue to study my discipline while still at home. This should be no problem, right? So I thought.

First video. I simply put my Note 10+ in a base and started recording. No worries at all. Finished the video, 1 hour approximately, and began the process to upload it to YT when I noted something I was not expecting: my video was divided in 3 files, each with 4GB. I couldn't find a way to merge them natively... So, went to Play Store, downloaded one app well rated and put it to work for me, merging the files. My notebook is a Macbook Retina from 2015, very basic since I only use Office most of time. To merge files in it was not an option. So, Note 10+ with 12GB RAM... Time to shine! And it did the job well, only it needed almost 1:30 to finish the task. Then, 30 minutes to upload the video and wait for it to be processed... and more than 2 hours after I finished recording, my pupils had the link. I was furious...

Second video... same thing. 3 files, 4GB each, and the need to merge it before I could upload it. Tried to edit it with another app, in my Macbook... job done in 2 hours! 30 more minutes to upload to YT, and that's all done.

Third video... Now I knew I couldn't count with my Note 10+ to make it. Tried with my GoPro Hero. Super camera, big microSD card, should be no problem, right? Nope, no luck here. 3 files, 4GB each and the need to transfer it to my Note 10+ before I start the merging process and the final upload. 1:30 hours more than normal to conquer the link

Today, I needed to record one more video. I remembered I still have my iPhone X, broken screen, with my wife, and decided to give it a go. Well... 1 hour video, single file, uploaded and processed in 30 minutes and... Done! Just it. Done! I almost couldn't believe the answer for my problem was with me all the time and it was my old iPhone X.

Because of it iPhone is an iPhone. Sounds repetitive, but it just works! I'll still use my Note 10+ as my main device, since I really use that S Pen a lot and I love that big screen, but tomorrow I'll send my iPhone X for repair and as soon as Apple release a new cheap model, I'll certainly give one to my wife and one for me as a much necessary backup and life-save device.

Just an anecdote...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like reading experiences like this, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. Thank you. Now go and get the screen replaced on the iPhone X...:)

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear about this experience.

I’m just curious about something, why did the Samsung device divide the video into 3 files?
It saves my record in three separate files, all of it with that kind of name with letters and number, perfectly matched when these said files complete full 4GB of size. How system do this I don't know exactly, but the cut is perfect and when you merge the files, imperceptible.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It saves my record in three separate files, all of it with that kind of name with letters and number, perfectly matched when these said files complete full 4GB of size. How system do this I don't know exactly, but the cut is perfect and when you merge the files, imperceptible.

This sounds like it's a FAT32 partition restriction - FAT32 partitions do not allow files that are larger than 4 GB. So, I'm assuming that you were storing the videos on an SD card maybe, and the SD Card was partitioned FAT32? Therefore, the video recording app must be smart enough to realize this so it breaks up the files into 4 GB bits rather than just have a hard cutoff and stop recording.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like it's a FAT32 partition restriction - FAT32 partitions do not allow files that are larger than 4 GB. So, I'm assuming that you were storing the videos on an SD card maybe, and the SD Card was partitioned FAT32? Therefore, the video recording app must be smart enough to realize this so it breaks up the files into 4 GB bits rather than just have a hard cutoff and stop recording.
Maybe that's it, but it doesn't matter if you save in SD card or in the internal storage... that's a "feature" of the Android OS itself which, rumors say, will be fixed in the Android 11, so I learned later.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh