The X Is No More

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
So.

The XS replaces the X

Apple have already taken it off their sites.

Has a ‘S’ model ever immediately replaced its predecessor before?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This was a surprising to see.

Guess they couldn’t drop the price under the IPhone Xr it would have started an uproar from the early adopters of the X.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly it makes sense. The differences are so minor that I couldn’t see many people selecting the Xs over the X if given the choice and an explanation on the differences. Gotta promote sales of the latest somehow.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Honestly it makes sense. The differences are so minor that I couldn’t see many people selecting the Xs over the X if given the choice and an explanation on the differences. Gotta promote sales of the latest somehow.

Well, there's the pretty new gold color!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

I agree, I think everyone would probably do that for sure. At least the two are exactly the same size.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Think the carriers will still sell the X? I would think they still have plenty of inventory left. Does anyone know?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Think the carriers will still sell the X? I would think they still have plenty of inventory left. Does anyone know?

I don’t think so because Apple didn’t set a price for the X. So how will they sell them. They will most likely be recycled into new devices.

My opinion

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think so because Apple didn’t set a price for the X. So how will they sell them. They will most likely be recycled into new devices.

My opinion

Yeah but what would they do with the old devices? Seems environmentally unfriendly to get rid of them lol.
I wonder if Apple buys them back

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I still love my original X and I think they where smart coming out with a less expensive LCD version which will draw in folks who had sticker shock when the X was initially released.

I love the fact they have introduced a few colors for the XR model which I think will appeal to younger crowd and myself, I like the blue and red version.

As with any new product, marketing, features and price are key factors in determining wether a product will be successful or not, now it’s wait and see and time will tell.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I still love my original X and I think they where smart coming out with a less expensive LCD version which will draw in folks who had sticker shock when the X was initially released.

I love the fact they have introduced a few colors for the XR model which I think will appeal to younger crowd and myself, I like the blue and red version.

As with any new product, marketing, features and price are key factors in determining wether a product will be successful or not, now it’s wait and see and time will tell.

I agree the price of the Xr is spot on and if the 5c is any indication of sales I think Apple will do good in sales.

There still selling the 7 and 8 series but the Xr will be there real budget device to tech ratio

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but what would they do with the old devices? Seems environmentally unfriendly to get rid of them lol.
I wonder if Apple buys them back

Apple discussed recycling devices and the high recyclability of iPhones with the product launch. They will recycle them. The iPhone XS has recycled tin already. So that old iPhone lives on in your new devices... kind of a nice thought.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Very Strange That They Stopped selling the X I noticed this the first day I guess they will use their on hand stock for warranty replacements. They also removed other devices looks like they trimmed down the iphone line.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple discussed recycling devices and the high recyclability of iPhones with the product launch. They will recycle them. The iPhone XS has recycled tin already. So that old iPhone lives on in your new devices... kind of a nice thought.

seems like such a waste of young tech lives

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

My opinion

The remaining inventory of X phones, other than those not required for replacements, will still be sold -- either through carriers, Best Buy, or Ebay. I'm sure they don't have too many left in the pipeline, since they likely quit building the X a few months ago (when they started changing over for Xs/Max production).

As for why, I believe it mostly has to do with some of the parts on the X -- the X used a Samsung OLED panel and the CDMA phones used a Qualcomm modem. The Xs phones are now using LG OLED panels and Intel modems; I suspect the major reason for discontinuing the X is so they didn't have to keep buying those parts.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
The remaining inventory of X phones, other than those not required for replacements, will still be sold -- either through carriers, Best Buy, or Ebay. I'm sure they don't have too many left in the pipeline, since they likely quit building the X a few months ago (when they started changing over for Xs/Max production).

As for why, I believe it mostly has to do with some of the parts on the X -- the X used a Samsung OLED panel and the CDMA phones used a Qualcomm modem. The Xs phones are now using LG OLED panels and Intel modems; I suspect the major reason for discontinuing the X is so they didn't have to keep buying those parts.

Samsung is still going to make OLED panels for the XS/Max. Some will have LG some will have Samsung

super_rigel

May 11, 2016
Visit site

My opinion

I work for Canada’s largest telecom. We still sell iPhone X. We’ll continue to sell it until we’re out of inventory or any remaining units are recalled.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR