The Way of Facebook - Twitter Style

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
How many of you use third party Twitter apps because like me, you can’t stand the way Twitter handles content on their own app? Cool, because Thursday August 16, 2018 (two days from this writing), Twitter is disabled push notifications for all third party Twitter apps. This forces you to download the official Twitter app to turn on notifications if you would like to still receive push notifications. I find this abhorrent, Twitter doesn’t give you all the functionalities of users’ favorite third party apps, yet they are working to make them obsolete and unusable. I assume this will continue until, like Facebook, the only app you can use is the official one. A poorly curated list of tweets. Even turning on most recent doesn’t give you true most recent. Facebook doesn’t even show all your friends in your feed, and Twitter will likely end up doing something similar. Soon enough the apps will only be distinguishable by their design language. Leaving me no choice but to stop using Twitter as I have all but stopped using Facebook. Thank you corporations for assuming what your users want. What are your thoughts on Twitter’s drive to make third-party clients obsolete?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I like the look of Tweetbot, but can't figure out how to do a few things. So, I use the Twitter app most of the time. It's improved a lot in the last year or two. I keep notifications off for Twitter anyway. When you have over 14,000 followers/following, they're too much. I do get notifications for a handful. I don't like how Twitter does a few things though. Like shadow banning. I haven't noticed Facebook putting limits or restrictions on 3rd party clients. I use Friendly Plus a lot with no issues. I particularly like the ad Block feature and the dark theme. Also the option to save most videos to my camera roll. Can't do that in the Facebook app. But, yeah, Twitter is trying to spoil using clients like Tweetbot.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I like the look of Tweetbot, but can't figure out how to do a few things. So, I use the Twitter app most of the time. It's improved a lot in the last year or two. I keep notifications off for Twitter anyway. When you have over 14,000 followers/following, they're too much. I do get notifications for a handful. I don't like how Twitter does a few things though. Like shadow banning. I haven't noticed Facebook putting limits or restrictions on 3rd party clients. I use Friendly Plus a lot with no issues. I particularly like the ad Block feature and the dark theme. Also the option to save most videos to my camera roll. Can't do that in the Facebook app. But, yeah, Twitter is trying to spoil using clients like Tweetbot.

There are no third party Facebook apps. Friendly gets away with it by using the web login, same for all their services. It’s a go-to for the webpages. Not using API’s. It’s a clever workaround.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There are no third party Facebook apps. Friendly gets away with it by using the web login, same for all their services. It’s a go-to for the webpages. Not using API’s. It’s a clever workaround.

Yep. But many more features and options than the web version in Safari. You can also get Twitter and Instagram on Friendly Plus.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The end is nigh

9e57659a01434ec5a243095dc8b9f0b8.jpg

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
To be fair push notifications don’t seem to have worked for me for ages on Hootsuite despite them being set up correctly so this change won’t affect me much.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Twitter is charging $2,899 per month for access to the new activity API and that only covers 250 accounts. I don't see how 3rd party Twitter developers can do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2