The UPDATE button in the App Store does not work?

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a JB 5s with 7.0.6. I keep opening up the App Store and and I see a bunch of apps and games that have the UPDATE button next to them. When I click Update it just opens that app up as if it's already updated and the button never changesto OPEN. I've tried restarting my phone (hard reset) and everything. There are about 12 apps that are currently doing this. I thought that apps updated automatically? Anyone know what's going on? Oh and some apps even say they need to be downloaded when they are already installed, this is very strange.

I saw that others are having issues to, found a post on Reddit but none of those tips seem to work for me or I'm not doing them correctly.

photo.PNG

Any help would be appreciated.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No issues here. Try a hard reset. Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

jasontate1

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Exact same problem. iPhone 5. 7.0.6

I'm guessing that the store has been updated and the App Store on 7.0.6 is unable to connect to the update server (or something). Prob gonna update my iOS finally.

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have two iPad 2s, one I pad Mini, and one iPhone 5 all jailbroken on 7.06. They are all having the same issue of clicking on the Update button opening the apps instead of updating them. My other iPhone 5 is still on 6.1 and it updates without any issues.

There has to be something that has changed with the App Store that is not behaving with devices running 7.x. The only way to update apps without plugging into iTunes is to have the updates automatically applied.

You are not alone!

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have two iPad 2s, one I pad Mini, and one iPhone 5 all jailbroken on 7.06. They are all having the same issue of clicking on the Update button opening the apps instead of updating them. My other iPhone 5 is still on 6.1 and it updates without any issues.

There has to be something that has changed with the App Store that is not behaving with devices running 7.x. The only way to update apps without plugging into iTunes is to have the updates automatically applied.

You are not alone!

Wait lol, so I can plug my iPhone and iPad into my PC and open iTunes to fix this? Will it remove the update the button?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
It won't fix the problem, but at least you can get your apps updated.

My apps do update, the problems is the "Update" badge doesn't change to "Open". They still say "Update" not matter what. Example, I uninstalled YouTube, installed it again and it and it goes right to "Update" even thought I just installed the most up-to-date version.

This quote was posted from another forum
This is a Appstore "Update" section bug and not our (users) problem so there is nothing we can do to fix it. Also for some reason only affected iOS versions are 7.0-7.0.6 since the 8th of October!

jasontate1

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Updated to latest iOS. No more update button problem.

Note: best to connect iPhone to computer and use iTunes to update. Backup your phone first.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Have the same issue on my jailbroken iPad mini retina. What I've learned is that you can update the apps but it's a little bit of a hazzle. What you need to do is either find your app in the "Top Chart" section and then click on "Open" (Yes, it will then start to update the app) or search for the app that you wish to update , click on it and then when you get to the apps page you just click on "Open" and it will actually start updating the app. Very annnoying way of doing it but I guess it's better than while the problem still remains.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Have the same issue on my jailbroken iPad mini retina. What I've learned is that you can update the apps but it's a little bit of a hazzle. What you need to do is either find your app in the "Top Chart" section and then click on "Open" (Yes, it will then start to update the app) or search for the app that you wish to update , click on it and then when you get to the apps page you just click on "Open" and it will actually start updating the app. Very annnoying way of doing it but I guess it's better than while the problem still remains.

Yup.. that's what I do but I use the Puchased tab to get to then search for each app, then click on the 'Open" button on the app and it will update..

This on my j/b iPhone 4s (7.0.6) and iPad Mini (j/b as well).

Glad I'm not the only one (well not glad per se, but relieved it isn't just my devices).

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
We'll I'm going to update to 8.1 which will get rid of this damn update bug (hopefully). Since the 8.1 jailbreak is almost finalized for everyday users I don't mind using a non-JB phone for a few more days.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR