The UK government wants Apple to fix its iPhone theft problem so it doesn't have to

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmmmmmm. Doesn’t sound like a manufacturer issue to me. Sounds like a local police / user issue.

Maybe, just maybe, if people didn’t walk down the streets glued to their devices, this wouldn’t be an “issue”.

It also sounds like another situation of not wanting to take responsibility. If mobile device thefts are up that much, maybe the local authorities should work with local users on how to lower the rate rather than local authorities shifting the responsibility to the manufacturer.

Then again, maybe I’m just old and grumpy and don’t understand this younger generation who walks into walls and doors because they can’t be bothered to look UP from their devices to see where they are walking.

simonmann

May 20, 2023
Visit site
Hmmmmmm. Doesn’t sound like a manufacturer issue to me. Sounds like a local police / user issue.

Maybe, just maybe, if people didn’t walk down the streets glued to their devices, this wouldn’t be an “issue”.

It also sounds like another situation of not wanting to take responsibility. If mobile device thefts are up that much, maybe the local authorities should work with local users on how to lower the rate rather than local authorities shifting the responsibility to the manufacturer.

Then again, maybe I’m just old and grumpy and don’t understand this younger generation who walks into walls and doors because they can’t be bothered to look UP from their devices to see where they are walking.
Hmm sounds like an ignorant comment from soneone with no idea of the scale of issues the Police are facing, most of which are because of snow flake mEnTal iSsUes. So if the phones are useless to steal, it helps.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmm sounds like an ignorant comment from soneone with no idea of the scale of issues the Police are facing, most of which are because of snow flake mEnTal iSsUes. So if the phones are useless to steal, it helps.

Well thank you very much for getting to know me before passing judgment.

I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever blocked someone.

Have a great Samuel L Jackson day.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Technically the police are not dealing with theft which is a police issue not an Apple issue.

Making an iPhone undesirable or useless is not a desired outcome, we have android for that.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The sad reality is that crime is a problem everywhere. But for any government entity to expect a manufacturer to find a way to prevent criminals from stealing is a huge reach. People need to be responsible and to be diligent about being alert and paying attention to their surroundings instead of looking at their devices! Distracted walking is almost as big a problem as distracted driving. Someone with headphones/earbuds in, eyes down, and completely unaware of what's going on around them, makes them a huge target for criminals.

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
This is a ridiculous "solution" to the problem.

"Someone with headphones/earbuds in, eyes down, and completely unaware of what's going on around them, makes them a huge target for criminals."

Exactly correct. This is not a phone problem. It is clueless people doing stupid things in public.

"Technically the police are not dealing with theft which is a police issue not an Apple issue. "

This.

We actually have cities in the US where the mayor and/or city councils have decided that "defunding the police" is a good idea. Of course these cities are devolving into total dumps now.

"Making an iPhone undesirable or useless is not a desired outcome, we have android for that. "

LOL nice.

Reactions: Annie_M

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
If you all remember, the idea was touted as a sales point when it first came in, that is the idea that an iPhone was useless to whoever stole it because they couldn't get in to the system. Some old dinosaur must have woken up and remembered it ! The
idea died when they found that high street independents were unlocking them for peanuts !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77