The U.S.' biggest carmaker is ditching Apple CarPlay because it might be dangerous

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I don't even know what "CarPlay" is. I just make a bluetooth connection. Works fine.

BTW, whoever took that picture, your car is disgustingly dirty.

aergern

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Dangerous? So, Siri reading texts out loud is more dangerous than grabbing your phone to read it. Or maybe having a big screen with maps on it is more dangerous that mounting your phone in line of site.

Horse sh** ... this is to sell their subscriptions and add on BS. 'Merica!

I think I'll stick with imports.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dangerous? So, Siri reading texts out loud is more dangerous than grabbing your phone to read it. Or maybe having a big screen with maps on it is more dangerous that mounting your phone in line of site.

Horse sh** ... this is to sell their subscriptions and add on BS. 'Merica!

I think I'll stick with imports.

Yep. I’m still happy with my 430i as well as wireless CarPlay. When I want to switch things up, I can use the built-in system via Bluetooth to play my Music playlists.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
GM's rationalization on removing Carplay is BS. I had a 2023 Chevy Tahoe for 11 months. It cost me $800+/year to get the same capabilities that I have with Apple Carplay which cost me about $900, once, for my iPhone 15 Pro Max in my new Ford Expedition. I do pay $12/month for Fords streaming service which is a hell of a lot cheaper then GM. All GM is worried about is increasing it's revenue than providing quality services for it's customers.

Plus Chevy's offline maps are worthless. I have used Ford's Sync 4 offline maps in areas where I had no cell service. They not quite as good as CarPlay but 100% better than the GM equivalent.

gian posatiere

Dec 30, 2017
Visit site
GM's rationalization on removing Carplay is BS. I had a 2023 Chevy Tahoe for 11 months. It cost me $800+/year to get the same capabilities that I have with Apple Carplay which cost me about $900, once, for my iPhone 15 Pro Max in my new Ford Expedition. I do pay $12/month for Fords streaming service which is a hell of a lot cheaper then GM. All GM is worried about is increasing it's revenue than providing quality services for it's customers.

Plus Chevy's offline maps are worthless. I have used Ford's Sync 4 offline maps in areas where I had no cell service. They not quite as good as CarPlay but 100% better than the GM equivalent.
You know you can download Apple maps for offline use now? I downloaded all of California.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You know you can download Apple maps for offline use now? I downloaded all of California.

I jumped on the iOS 17 beta train just to give that a try. Unfortunately it’s still not up to par with Google and their offline maps.

The only GM vehicle I ever had was a 1973 El Camino SS with a 454. Loved that car. But I’m staying with Honda from here on out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77