The state of M1 native software.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My personal vs provisioning many M1 systems has me frustrated to see popular software still Intel vs Apple. There seems to be irony that OneDrive and Teams in Microsoft Office aren't native while the rest is. LastPass is in the list. I don't (yet) see Dropbox for M1.

This makes me wonder if some developers will wait until there are no Intel Macs sold or if they'll drop Mac support. I wonder if Apple gives any pokes at the matter.

Hopefully Apple mobile app developers who use Dropbox sync will move to iCloud, and Microsoft will do M1 native OneDrive.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox said they will be native by or after the new year.

Microsoft might take another year or two .

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've switched from DropBox to the open-source Maestral, which doesn't add a ton of crap to the Finder that I don't need and has a much, much smaller memory footprint. And it is universal, so ready for Apple Silicon without using Rosetta.

https://maestral.app/about/

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox said they will be native by or after the new year.

Microsoft might take another year or two .

I have my doubts on that and think this is more a personal frustration that it's not done yet. To support my idea I say consider the around 300,000,000 daily users of business/enterprise tier 365, try M1 Edge with Teams to see it use about 1/2 the memory of desktop Teams, and consider the significant and growing enterprise business Apple is doing.

I've switched from DropBox to the open-source Maestral, which doesn't add a ton of crap to the Finder that I don't need and has a much, much smaller memory footprint. And it is universal, so ready for Apple Silicon without using Rosetta.

https://maestral.app/about/

Thank you. Very interesting. The whole Dropbox issue has me thinking it might be time to change some workflow issues and apps I use. I only use free tier Dropbox that some apps use for sync. One exports to Windows QuickBooks with the IIF format that's kind of dead on the limb.

I've always liked Dropbox but confess there's not enough value for a commercial license when our enterprise runs on other technologies with similar storage and sync.

Thanks again.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
\Thank you. Very interesting. The whole Dropbox issue has me thinking it might be time to change some workflow issues and apps I use. I only use free tier Dropbox that some apps use for sync. One exports to Windows QuickBooks with the IIF format that's kind of dead on the limb.

Maestral may be perfect for you then, because it doesn't count against the device count. I believe that free-tier Dropbox is limited to only three devices.

So far my only issue with Maestral is that storing MacOS app files on Dropbox will occasionally lead to sync errors (I store some app install files on Dropbox to make it easy to install on al of my Macs), but just zipping up the file solves that.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have my doubts on that and think this is more a personal frustration that it's not done yet. To support my idea I say consider the around 300,000,000 daily users of business/enterprise tier 365, try M1 Edge with Teams to see it use about 1/2 the memory of desktop Teams, and consider the significant and growing enterprise business Apple is doing.

Thank you. Very interesting. The whole Dropbox issue has me thinking it might be time to change some workflow issues and apps I use. I only use free tier Dropbox that some apps use for sync. One exports to Windows QuickBooks with the IIF format that's kind of dead on the limb.

I've always liked Dropbox but confess there's not enough value for a commercial license when our enterprise runs on other technologies with similar storage and sync.

Thanks again.

You would think so, but I doubt microsoft is that pragmatic.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Microsoft will be pragmatic about its revenue won't they(as all businesses are)? What the pragmatism results in is the interesting question.
It puts Microsoft in an interesting place. Microsoft knows the potential of ARM, they've actually been offering an ARM desktop class device for several years, I believe, the Surface Pro X. It isn't good, it's actually probably closer to not good. But the fact they would even make it is suggestive of the point.
WinTel isn't going anywhere but they'd have to be blind not to see the threat to a bit of the business from Apple silicon. For anyone who uses a wintel notebook for day to day tasks then uses an m1 MacBook Air, it is easy to see why it would be considered a threat.
Microsoft dragging their feet here is understandable yet at the same time they're ready to provide it native to Apple silicon. At the end of the day Microsoft's aim is to dominate the software platform on any laptop/PC.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You would think so, but I doubt microsoft is that pragmatic.

Count the daily licensed professional and education tier 365 and Azure users. Look at Apple's strong and growing enterprise business. Try the Microsoft Teams telephony in an Edge browser tab. I believe they're very pragmatic but I'm surprised we don't have M1 native OneDrive yet.

There's an end of life for OneDrive with Windows 7 and 8 coming so maybe that will mark a new sync client.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2