The point of the Iphone 5c.

Ventus221

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 5c in my opinion will make the beginning of a new product line that will borrow from its previous generation (i.e how the 5c is just a 5) and next year we will get a 5s and all its features in a new plastic body with the arrival of the Iphone 6 and etc. Apple is doing this as it's far more cost effective to build one version of a phone as opposed to two, so it would make sense why they are doing this every year a better proposition.

Does that make sense? What are your opinions on this little theory?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Doing this IMO, gives them more options and more markets... Giving a consumer more choice helps any company..

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
IMO it gives them a chance to reach another customer base. I'm not sure it has done what was expected so far.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After a few weeks, I think I honestly have come to a pretty solid reasoning behind the 5c.

Years ago Apple used to offer a Macbook and a Macbook Pro in their line up. The Macbook WAS cheaper, but it was not marketed as the "cheaper" product, it was marketed as the more "fun" product, the product for younger people, the non-professional offering for people who wanted a Macbook, but didn't want to pay the premium for the metal casing or the higher specs that they didn't feel they needed. You were given a very nicely equipped machine, about 3/4's the performance of the Pro line and a choice of colors (white polycarbonate and black polycarbonate).

Then...they realized that the market wanted lighter, slimmer and sleeker...so the Air took the place of the "entry" model. Again, not marketed as a "cheaper" Macbook, but marketed towards people who did not need the powerhouse Pro offerings, and were content with the slightly lower specs at a slight lower price. The Air became the new standard entry level offering, but it was never even thought of in the "cheap" frame of mind, and that is because the media never thought of it in terms of getting the product into an "emerging market", this was a product for the normal consumers that Apple already had targets on.

The 5c, I feel, is IDENTICAL in this situation...the major difference being the fact that the iPhone 5 and now, the 5S, were already so light, slim and streamlined that they really couldn't take the same approach they did with the Macbook Air, so what could they try? A reversion back to the "fun". Offer a polycarbonate iPhone that is a little cheaper, a little less powerful (for those who weren't concerned with the guts of the phone, which most consumers would never understand anyways), offer it in a slew of colors to bring some life to it...and market this phone for people to feel "unique" and "alive".

The media started this idea that the 5c was an emerging market savior. It was never intended to be a "cheap" iPhone, and there is an ENORMOUS difference between "cheap" and "cheaper", and this device certainly IS a "cheaper" iPhone, but it's not cheap.

Now some people will argue "What's the point of this device if it still cost so much?" And the answer is really pretty simple. They knew there was a market for people who loved the iPhone but were growing tired of the same cosmetic form...this forum alone reflected several opinions that the simple "Black and White" color choice was growing stagnant, and that was probably echoed around the market pretty heavily as well. At the same time, Motorola offered a new customizable color pallet for people to get the feeling they were getting a "unique item", something they created...so Apple's approach was similar, offer the colors Apple is famous for, and then offer a case program that can essentially change the whole color scheme of the phone, but remain true to Apple's quality and design standards.

Honestly, looking at all the people who have 5c's in my circles, and the really swell marketing campaigns they've come up with to really amplify their "unique" and "fun" approach, I'd say Apple has a pretty great thing in the 5c. I mean think about it, you're young, you want a new smart phone, but you're not one of us forum geeks that sit around looking at minute spec increases from every company, every year...the camera on the phone was already fantastic, so a few extra features may not matter to a person trying to keep their budget down but still own a top tier device...why WOULDN'T the 5c be very attractive to that audience?

And let's face it, while the 5 and 5S are sexy and sleek, they don't really "stand out" visually...they are more of a really "nice" design, but not a really loud design, and loud gets people into stores, loud gets people talking. I mean the negative publicity about the completely asinine idea that the 5c was an emerging market phone has put the 5c in the mouths of people who probably wouldn't have even cared about it (I'm one of them...I've grown more appreciation for the device just by trying to figure out what the point was).

That's just my take on it.

TL;DR - The 5c is to the 5S what the regular Macbook/Air is to the Macbook Pro.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To give people multiple colors of the iPhone at a reasonable price without taking away from its more expensive & business looking flagship version, in my opinion...:)

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Now some people will argue "What's the point of this device if it still cost so much?" And the answer is really pretty simple. They knew there was a market for people who loved the iPhone but were growing tired of the same cosmetic form...this forum alone reflected several opinions that the simple "Black and White" color choice was growing stagnant, and that was probably echoed around the market pretty heavily as well. At the same time, Motorola offered a new customizable color pallet for people to get the feeling they were getting a "unique item", something they created...so Apple's approach was similar, offer the colors Apple is famous for, and then offer a case program that can essentially change the whole color scheme of the phone, but remain true to Apple's quality and design standards.

Honestly, looking at all the people who have 5c's in my circles, and the really swell marketing campaigns they've come up with to really amplify their "unique" and "fun" approach, I'd say Apple has a pretty great thing in the 5c. I mean think about it, you're young, you want a new smart phone, but you're not one of us forum geeks that sit around looking at minute spec increases from every company, every year...the camera on the phone was already fantastic, so a few extra features may not matter to a person trying to keep their budget down but still own a top tier device...why WOULDN'T the 5c be very attractive to that audience?

And let's face it, while the 5 and 5S are sexy and sleek, they don't really "stand out" visually...they are more of a really "nice" design, but not a really loud design, and loud gets people into stores, loud gets people talking. I mean the negative publicity about the completely asinine idea that the 5c was an emerging market phone has put the 5c in the mouths of people who probably wouldn't have even cared about it (I'm one of them...I've grown more appreciation for the device just by trying to figure out what the point was).

That's just my take on it.

TL;DR - The 5c is to the 5S what the regular Macbook/Air is to the Macbook Pro.

Good points. I think Apple is looking to differentiate the "cheaper" product from the flagship model more clearly in the minds of the consumer. If Apple simply reduced the 5 price and sold this along with the 5s, it's a bit more difficult for the average consumer to truly differentiate between the 2 since cosmetically, they look almost identical. By launching the 5c, Apple clearly signals to the market that there is a difference between the cheaper model and the premium model. And since the bill of materials for the 5c is less costly than the 5, Apple will enjoy higher margins. That's what I call a shrewd market strategy. 😉

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I think maybe that Apple knows that people like me dearly miss their beloved 3GS with the smooth and rounded edges. Which is why my 5C is in my hands now.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I think SeanHRCC hit the nail right on the head with his answer. The neon colors and loud appearance that this phone has appeals to a wider variety of people than just the standard black, white (and now gold). Also Apple had to invent something that was going to do what the other companies aren't doing yet which isn't plastic, because many of the androids I have seen have plastic, but don't have the color options. I have a feeling that apple's intention wasn't to release something "cheaper" but rather different. I think this release was apple getting their feet wet in the secondary phone area but when the next 6c becomes available you are going to see a much more crafted device ( if the phone does what apple wants it to as far as sales go )

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I think maybe that Apple knows that people like me dearly miss their beloved 3GS with the smooth and rounded edges. Which is why my 5C is in my hands now.

While at the same time remembering the people like me, that love the craftsmanship they but into the 5 and 5s.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
SeanHRCC is absolutely correct. The 5C is a visually striking and 'fun' looking phone, and I know first hand that there's definitely a market for it. The aluminium 5 and 5S may be quite pretty but they're not striking. I'd go as far as call the SG 5S a bit 'boring' for some people's tastes, considering how plain looking it is with its black-rimmed button and grey metal. I know many people who like colour on their phone and would go for the 5C instead of the 5 or the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the 5c. I think it stands out better in everyday use compared to the 5s. It's basically the same phone. Just not fragile feeling with aluminum. They tried to remake the 4s with the 5. It's just not happening. 4S then 5C. That works for me :)

Wish they would have made all black.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I personally love the 5c. I think it stands out better in everyday use compared to the 5s. It's basically the same phone. Just not fragile feeling with aluminum. They tried to remake the 4s with the 5. It's just not happening. 4S then 5C. That works for me :)

Wish they would have made all black.

I think they had a prototype black casing, but decided against it. I guess it makes sense, considering the fact that they're marketing the 5C's colour palette quite heavily.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
How did they try to "remake" the 4S with the 5? I'm kind of confused what you meant by this...considering the 5 was an entirely new design.

I'm speaking in terms more so of the look. With trying to have that bezel around the edges. I actually like the 4S. The glass. The Bezel, I love everything about it. I would've been satisfied with a new 4S with a 4" screen. Black and silver. And the weight. The weight of the 5c and 4s is a lot better then the 5 IMO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73