The option to start Fitness focus when in a workout not sticking since 16.2

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed this? Starting in iOS 16/watchOS 9, when you start a workout you can set your devices to Fitness focus with an option in Settings / Focus / Fitness (prior to iOS 16/watchOS 9, it was an option in the Workout section of the Watch app.)

This worked perfectly for me, until 16.2. Now, randomly, sometimes every day, that setting (Settings / Focus / Fitness, turn on the option under "Set a Schedule" for "Workout") is changing to off.

I know I'm not the only one - I've seen a couple of complaint about this on reddit - but is it happening to anybody else?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
e6ed92aed7d4a6d8f22fef4b40a7e013.jpg

Yes this is happening to me and mine turns off on its own as shown when it should be on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It’s a pain in the neck for me because I have notifications in fitness focus locked down pretty tightly, so only critical things get through. I’m trying to write a shortcut that duplicates the function (which is a possibility) but having trouble with having the focus return to what it was before I started the workout(and I don’t have a lot of spare time to work on the shortcut). I’m sure by the time I’m done Apple will have an update to fix this bug, but i am traveling to a spot with really limited internet so I won’t be installing an iOS updates until I get home.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I was able to fix this temporarily with a couple of shortcuts (which also restored the old Focus when the workout ended), but 16.3 seems to have fixed this bug. It's been working now for just about a week since I installed 16.3, so I'm going to say it's solved.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
So I was able to fix this temporarily with a couple of shortcuts (which also restored the old Focus when the workout ended), but 16.3 seems to have fixed this bug. It's been working now for just about a week since I installed 16.3, so I'm going to say it's solved.

iOS 16.3 seems to have resolved it for me too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Would you happen to have time/location-based focus modes?

I think the system applies them sequentially. In other words, first come, first applied.

Yes, but I was already in what was called my Morning focus when I started the workout. I have been doing this for months.

Settings / Focus / Fitness / Workout / Turn On Automatically - that setting is randomly getting turned off. I am not touching it. It started with 16.2, and 16.3 was going fine for almost 2 weeks, until this morning. It was fine from 16.0 until 16.2 was installed.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I was already in what was called my Morning focus when I started the workout. I have been doing this for months.

Settings / Focus / Fitness / Workout / Turn On Automatically - that setting is randomly getting turned off. I am not touching it. It started with 16.2, and 16.3 was going fine for almost 2 weeks, until this morning. It was fine from 16.0 until 16.2 was installed.

Hmmm… really unsure what’s going on there.

I have seen my location-based override my workout focus once I got anywhere near that location. Nothing consistent though.