The most expensive aspect of the Iphone 10 isnt the notch, its the Chin.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Thought this was a very interesting read. Never mentioned when they talk about the "crazy price" of the X, but there it is.

"We couldn’t talk Android phone notches without also addressing Android phone chins. “The only phone on the market that has a notch that doesn’t have a chin is the iPhone X,” notes Pei, and that’s because the iPhone’s “chin is on the back of the phone.” At the bottom of each display is a ribbon for connecting it to the device’s logic board, which necessitates at least a thin “chin.” Apple’s exotic solution to that was to use a flexible OLED screen that curves internally and thus pushes the ribbon connection toward the back. Pei explains that this approach makes the phone thicker and, understandably, more expensive. Not even Samsung, which makes Apple’s iPhone X displays, is being so indulgent in its design. So chins are going to remain a feature of Android phone designs for the foreseeable future."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/28/17152840/oneplus-6-notch-size-android-flagship

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to nitpick, the article says that the chin makes the phone more expensive, but doesn't say that it's more expensive than the components in the notch.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
The design of the iPhone x in my opinion, is well thought out for the technology at this time. Eventually, the notch will be non existent and then it will be something else to nitpick about.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Just to nitpick, the article says that the chin makes the phone more expensive, but doesn't say that it's more expensive than the components in the notch.

I probably could have worded it better. My point is really that the notch is getting all this attention, but the chin is the really impressive part. Especially in light of the all Android phones adoption the notch, but not the chin.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Given how poorly the iPhone 10 has sold, there's plenty of spare capacity in the Samsung factory that turns out the flexible OLED displays. They will certainly appear in Android phones soon - if anyone else is interested in such a design.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Still doesn't justify its insane price tag. Before I get knocked, I have a 256GB iPhone X.

If no other phone maker can produce a phone without a chin at a lower price point, maybe it does justify the price though. For a first year product I don't so much mind the price. What will bother me however, is if Apple does make a X Plus next year, keep the X at the same price, and place a 100-150 premium on the Plus model, then I'll complain.

I know the rumors are that the X successor is going to go down in price and the Plus model will be priced at the current X price, but nobody knows for sure.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Given how poorly the iPhone 10 has sold, there's plenty of spare capacity in the Samsung factory that turns out the flexible OLED displays. They will certainly appear in Android phones soon - if anyone else is interested in such a design.

Can you provide any numbers to back the poor sales claim?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing even a small chin on the iPhone X. I find it difficult to reach the absolute bottom when I am using the phone one-handed, and I particularly find the reachability gesture hard to do one-handed. Since I only need reachability when I'm using the phone one-handed, I wouldn't mind either a smaller reach or a different gesture.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Still doesn't justify its insane price tag. Before I get knocked, I have a 256GB iPhone X.

Agree. A 64gbX is $1579 new here which is what i have/paid on release. I think i am done buying on release and paying full retail, you can get a as new X for easy $400 or more less now.
I just got my wife a 8 plus 256gb 10 days old as new for $670 off Apple price. After selling her 6S plus and a profit on a note 8 i flipped it cost $99.
Just got to have patience.

All Apple products in Australia have a 2 year warranty under Australian Consumer Law probably one reason we pay more.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No but it is widely known in the industry.

Being widely reported is not the same as being widely known. If anyone expected the iPhone X to sell as if it were the only new iPhone introduced is being unrealistic. Apple had to have known that and made sales projections accordingly, in my opinion. There are reports that indicate that Apple sold around 80 million iPhones over the Christmas holiday season and about 30 million of them were the iPhone X models. “If true”, that’s a lot of sold iPhone X’s.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
No but it is widely known in the industry.

You mean it is widely **guessed at** in the industry. iPhone X earns 35% of all smartphone profits. iPhone 8 earns 19.1%, 8+ earns 15.2%.

Apple's iPhone X Generated 35% of Smartphone Profits in Q4 | Fortune

If sales were truly bad, the X, though it has higher profit per handset, wouldn't also have higher total profit than the 8 and 8+ combined.

We'll know in a few weeks when Apple holds their quarterly financial call. They probably won't break out totals by handset, but they will talk about the success or failure of the iPhone X.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You mean it is widely **guessed at** in the industry. iPhone X earns 35% of all smartphone profits. iPhone 8 earns 19.1%, 8+ earns 15.2%.

Apple's iPhone X Generated 35% of Smartphone Profits in Q4 | Fortune

If sales were truly bad, the X, though it has higher profit per handset, wouldn't also have higher total profit than the 8 and 8+ combined.

We'll know in a few weeks when Apple holds their quarterly financial call. They probably won't break out totals by handset, but they will talk about the success or failure of the iPhone X.

I say it's widely known in the industry because many people have contact with Apple's suppliers. A factory that is making fewer components than expected for Apple has the capacity (and need) to make more components for someone else. This affects the availability and pricing of components from that supplier to other customers.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that sales of the iPhone 10 are truly bad, but they are lower than expected by a significant margin.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I prefer specific facts and or data. The phrase "Widely known..." is not specific enough for me to completely buy into what you're inferring. Nor is the word "they" as in, "they say" this or that. My Mother in law often uses this when trying to make a point.... specially when she's already on a slippery slope! I always make a point of asking "who, specifically, are they?" Until I know that, I'm not buying it!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR