The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPhone

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
Well I followed TIPB's instructions on the website (by Georgia) and check this out:

I activated 3 MobileMe free accounts from my iPhone 4 (for use with other devices), and I seem to have hit a wall. My iPhone says "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPhone". When I click "Learn More" it takes me to the main website, which says nothing.

Is this Apple's policy? or is this a bug? I did not see any documentation limiting the number of accounts I could setup from my iPhone 4. If I had known there was a wall I would not have setup the last account.

Any ideas on how one might go about resolving this issue?

Thank!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is. You might try to call Apple and ask them to remove one of the accounts you created so you can setup a new one.

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
I don't think there is. You might try to call Apple and ask them to remove one of the accounts you created so you can setup a new one.

All of the accounts were removed immediately following their authorization on the iPhone 4. It doesn't seem to matter. The phone somehow logs the number of accounts associated with the device.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It logs your serial number and each account you activate is attached to your serial number. They do have a limit of how many accounts can be activated per device and track it by the serial number. The only option if you want one for another device is to have an existing one removed if they can even remove it.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Georgia's tip is 100% accurate and reports on exactly what Apple stated on their website, so that's *completely* misdirected, though I certainly appreciate your frustration.

You say you created 3 different Find my iPhone accounts? Why would you need more than one?

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I called apple and they confirmed 3 accounts set up per device and they track the serial #. They could not answer if they were able to remove an account from a serial #.

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
^ Good to know that they published this information. /sarcasm

Yes, you're right Rene. I am definitely not blaming Georgia at all. I had hoped that she might post an update on her news article to warn other users, but you've definitely done one better!

Thanks Rene!

Apple limiting users to 3 free Find my iPhone account setups per device? | TiPb

Oh, and to retrospectively answer your question: a person might want to setup a different account if they give an older device (i.e. a 3GS) to a family member. In that case, you probably don't want that phone showing up in your MobileMe account, nor do you want them to have access to your account. In such an instance, it makes perfect sense to setup a new account from your iPhone 4 (which you are well and fully entitled to do) solely for the purpose of using Find my iPhone with the older device.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and to retrospectively answer your question: a person might want to setup a different account if they give an older device (i.e. a 3GS) to a family member. In that case, you probably don't want that phone showing up in your MobileMe account, nor do you want them to have access to your account. In such an instance, it makes perfect sense to setup a new account from your iPhone 4 (which you are well and fully entitled to do) solely for the purpose of using Find my iPhone with the older device.

or if you gave an iPhone to someone they could just use their own account. :rolleyes:

and I see 3 being fair. This service is normally for those whop pay $99 a year. You are basic getting it for free, but with a limit. If you have more then three iDevices and can't keep them by your side then it might be best to buy a mobile me subscription or just use common sense and not leave your devices laying around in plain sight for someone to steal.

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
^ Right, except I also pay for MobileMe. Please focus on the issue - Apple did not publish that there was a 3 account limit, and once you have reached that limit (that was not published) there is no way to undo it.

And please remember: the only reason you are even aware that there is a 3 account limit is because I hit that limit! You can thank me later! :p

Reactions: okctier2

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Something I still don't understand is why these have to be set up on 2010 devices in the first place. If a 3GS can use the service, surely it's capable of entering an Apple ID.

okctier2

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I would like to know how I can remove the cached appleIDs from the phones serial number at apple.. without having :eek: to contact them that is. maybe some of you should consider that these phones are 2nd or 3rd hand, and the new owner is not allowed to add their apple ID because the last user, or first user had added 3 free accounts. This completely discounts your argument of why would one need more than one account..:confused: I'm not sure why this isn't mentioned more often.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods