The island and screen protectors.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing glass screen protectors that cover the camera and face hardware vs the old notch cutouts. Have any of you gone that route and noticed a performance impact?

I'm considering no projector for once but on the fence. It really does seem like 12 and on phones have better screens. I'm also pretty hard on phones. I'm more concerned about scratches than cracks.

Thank you.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Never liked any protector that had a cut out. Hole cutouts are absolutely horrible. They will collect dust and look terrible in shorter order. And too, they create a weak point if impact occurs near the cutout.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Why would there be performance impact? The dynamic island is built into the display. I use a Spigen tempered glass screen protector that covers up the entire display and there's no issues with dynamic island.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Why would there be performance impact? The dynamic island is built into the display. I use a Spigen tempered glass screen protector that covers up the entire display and there's no issues with dynamic island.

I'm not sure Apple's design accommodated the possible diffusion or refraction from more glass and the adhesive.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure Apple's design accommodated the possible diffusion or refraction from more glass and the adhesive.

If there is, it'll be negligible. Why would this be an issue at all? I've done many front-facing videos with no distortions from glass screen protectors.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If there is, it'll be negligible. Why would this be an issue at all? I've done many front-facing videos with no distortions from glass screen protectors.

I do not care about selfie photos as much as want my face as credentials to work ideally. My guess is the all-glass works. Thank you.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Your concerns are understood and valid. However you will have far better chance of FaceID not working correctly from finger prints, makeup, et al.
The glass is plenty clear for the dot projector and the front facing camera to function identically as if no protector was present. If FaceID suddenly stops recognizing your face and front facing camera image quality looks hazy then the issue is smudging or other FOD (foreign object debris) on the glass which can and will happen on both protectors AND the stock glass cover.

The issue with frequent finger contact with this area now that we have "dynamic island" gestures and function has been discussed at length amongst the developer community, but people will learn what they have to do until the next big thing comes along! ;)

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm using a screen protector that I used on my iPhone 13 Pro Max on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. The protector's cutout covers about 1/2 of the island BUT everything seems to work fine. I use Power Support antiglare screen protectors.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I also use the Spigen protector on my 14 Pro Max and have no issues with it at all.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried ESR brand supposedly thin glass after another brand I've bought lots of seemed to peel with last two purchases. The lots of context is family, and dozens of devices at work. The ESR template is good, and unlock is responsive. The Apple Store doesn't seem any better than me for not getting a fleck of dust under the glass so I'll keep going forward with $4 vs $40 glass.

My first world problem in this is liking a naked phone at home but work and sports are severe service.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I’ve used full coverage screen protectors on both my 12 and 14 Pro without issue. In fact, I often wondered why the manufacturers made them with the notch cutout.

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I have used Zagg for years. I think the 12 pro was full screen but my 13pro had the cutout for the notch. The 14 pro was full screen but I have decided not to use any screen protector at all. Now that AppleCare has unlimited replacements I am just going to use it as it was made. I am also considering ditching the Totallee Case as well.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used Zagg for years. I think the 12 pro was full screen but my 13pro had the cutout for the notch. The 14 pro was full screen but I have decided not to use any screen protector at all. Now that AppleCare has unlimited replacements I am just going to use it as it was made. I am also considering ditching the Totallee Case as well.

You're where I wish to be but I do endurance sports where the phone rub in a pack or bike frame bag will show including on glass. For winter I might ditch screen protectors. If the glass covering the island is an issue, it remains where I am not yet sensing it.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, there may well be degraded performance in some circumstances but it seems manageable. Maybe software ver 16.03 will help? A few times now the Face ID has been slow or not worked when the glass has has some grime or dirt from sunblock or work that did not occur with the naked glass. I'll be mindful after the yesterday software upgrade.

I'm not sure I'll give up on a screen protector though. Elements of my work have drop risk, and my phones do a lot of rubbing in packs via doing adventure sports.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I’m using a screen protector that I used on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The static island is partially covered but it does not affect the dynamic island functions any. Camera works fine. Face ID works fine.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I did end up using a screen protector, my first. I bought the Spigen (The Apple Store screen protector for the 14 PM was a long ship date). It covers the dynamic island completely. After about two weeks I have seen no functionality effect to FaceID or camera.