The iPhone 6 Plus is a JOKE. And here I tell you why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to answer this not as an "fanboy", nor as someone that is against Apple. I'll respond only with opinions and information about the actual devices. Too many approaches are based on having to stand behind a device or bash it, which is silly.

Anyway, I've had the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad 3, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and now the 6+. The one thing that I've loved about Apple devices that has kept me coming back for more is that they do what they do well. They do not need numbers to back up their performance, and they routinely outperform other devices that at first glance and on paper should blow them away easily. Here are my experiences, likes/dislikes and concerns with each of the devices.

3G : I'll spend the least amount of time on this one because it is the oldest device. My first iOS device and I was very impressed. The operation was fluent and reliable, I loved the App Store and the layout of ios.

Iphone 4 : from the time I bought it, it basically functioned just as well as the time which I stopped using it. Regardless of specs, etc, the device ran smoothly. The retina display, although not nearly the same display quality that we have now, was incredible at the time of the release and was ahead of its time.

Iphone 5: it really improved everything from the previous iPhone and did it all better. Buttery smooth from the moment of purchase up until I stopped using it nearly 2 years later. Update after update, there were small bugs, but for the most part, this thing was built to last.

iPad 3 : my first and only venture into iPad territory. The first one with retina display. From the moment I bought it, although I loved the larger screen (which brought me in) and retina display, quite simply it lagged. Pulling up the App Store, loading apps.....it lagged. Speaking to Apple reps, supposedly a software update would fix it in the near future, so I stuck with it. Several months later (not the usual year), they released the new iPad with retina display, which basically took the place of this one ! The iPad 3 was discontinued and basically forgotten. I contacted Apple and there was nothing they could do about the $850 I just spent on it to upgrade me to the new iPad 4. They could offer a few hundred dollars to recycle it. After each iOS update that followed, it got slows and slower. It not takes several seconds to load up a simple program. All in all, it's my own fault that I did not wait, but who would have thought a new model would be released just several months after this one to correct the problems which Apple would not really admit to having ? The processor/RAM was not fully capable of supporting its new retina display. The iPad 4 beefed that up and made it capable

iPhone 5s : quite simply, all that the iPhone did, but better, Again, having 0 issues with the 5, the release of the 5s was not a "fix" to the 5, but merely just a refresh. Anyone with a 5 should not feel like their device is getting replaced by this, but just the usual annual update. Fingerprint reader, nicer camera, better processor. However, the 5 was still VERY VERY capable of running just about anything without any lag.

iPhone 6+ : here is the most controversial one I guess. First and foremost, I love the increased size. I love the display (quite simply, it's beautiful). That being said, from the moment of purchase and restoring it from backup, it lagged. After doing an iOS restore through iTunes, it still lags. I enjoy the phone and all that it offers, however quite honestly I am a bit afraid that it could be another iPad 3 situation, though maybe not as extreme. From experience as you see with all of my purchased iOS devices, they all ran perfectly out of box except 2, the iPad 3 and iPhone 6+. having decided to keep the 6+ and not swap it or wait for the 6+s, I can only blame myself should it be hardware that is causing this lag and not software. Looking at it with a completely open mind, the fact that it runs the same processor with the same amount of RAM for a much bigger screen, is concerning and could very well be a reason for this lag. Some of the crashes I would think could be attributed to iOS software issues. But right now, my iPhone 5 and 5s both run considerably quicker than my iPhone 6s. The 5 still is running iOS 7 and the 5s is running iOS 8 . The very fact that the 5s took in iOS 8 without any lag whatsoever and the 6+ has considerable lag is without a doubt a concern.

I am enjoying the phone, however there is that huge elephant in the room that I can't really ignore. I hope it really gets ironed out. If it doesn't, I can't blame anyone but myself anyway! Although I do wonder why when releasing devices with a better screen, why Apple would not know by now that they have to beef up specs to support it as in given examples. From experience, aside from the iPad 3 and iPhone 6+, each iPhone release has ran out of the box better than the one before it. This is putting bendgate and hair gate aside, because I think they are loads of ****. This is entirely hardware concerns in my eyes. I think after a while, we just get used to the speed of our devices. However, being able to use my iPhone's released years before this one and having them run quicker in virtually everything I can test, it is pretty frustrating. OP, I do wonder though, have you returned the 6+? If not, why?

atlas_vaughn

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not experiencing any of the problems you mention. Also, you should be aware that apps which have not been optimized for the 6 Plus are scaled. This is not an issue of hardware, quite the opposite, it is an intentional screen scaling implementation. I do not have a problem with volume either. On the 5s I did but only after a years worth of use in a very dusty environment. Occasionally I clean the speakers on the 5s and can hear them just fine. With the 6 Plus I purchased a case which helps prevent dust getting into my phone (Pelican Voyager) which I love. As for the rest of your claims I find evidence of the contrary and nothing to support your "testing". Should you be brazen enough to post again within this forum please attempt to convey your opinions in an appropriate manner and site your facts with references, links, etc.

Sent using mental telepathy

Joelist

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
You guys realize the odds are high the OP is a t*** right? Low post number and long rant are sure signs. Plus he claims technological expertise but his statements display a distinct lack of the same. Likely gt***.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You guys realize the odds are high the OP is a t*** right? Low post number and long rant are sure signs. Plus he claims technological expertise but his statements display a distinct lack of the same. Likely gt***.

Whether the OP is or not, it's okay. Threads like this will always spring up here and there....:)

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
But they are also paid by the shenanigan company to give them good coverage and apple bad coverage. i.e. Naming the S4 "the everybody's phone".

Wow never would've thought CNET was apart of the apple hate crowd, But now that you mention that you do have a point. Only good thing about them is the Apple Byte segments they have.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow you guys need to calm down. He is just expressing his opinion. I'm sure the plus specs is more than enough for most people. But I do agree with him that it should have came with better specs and after all it's $100 more than the 6. For most non-technical people this will not be an issue. Here is a good analysis of the FPS:

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...-of-iphone-6-plus-drives-lower-fps-benchmarks

I am definitely an Apple fan boy but it doesn't mean I have to agree with every Apple's decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow you guys need to calm down. He is just expressing his opinion. I'm sure the plus specs is more than enough for most people. But I do agree with him that it should have came with better specs and after all it's $100 more than the 6. For most non-technical people this will not be an issue. Here is a good analysis of the FPS:

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...-of-iphone-6-plus-drives-lower-fps-benchmarks

I am definitely an Apple fan boy but it doesn't mean I have to agree with every Apple's decision.

There's a difference between expressing one's opinion and crapping all over something. His "opinion" is pretty much ridiculous anyway.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see where 2 gb of ram will help when it phones already give ppl the smoothest experience ever on a mobile device. It's like a pc, going from 8 to 16 GB ram just makes ppl feel better. It doesn't make the pc faster *unless you open tons of programs which is pointless to run in the background on mobile device unless directly specified to*.

I find the OP post mostly a mute point. I enjoy both platforms but I absolutely love the 6plus. It's soooo much faster and feels great in have and in-use.

On a size note of performance the 6plus is still faster.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There's a difference between expressing one's opinion and crapping all over something. His "opinion" is pretty much ridiculous anyway.

You guys are way too defensive the minute someone says one negative thing about an iPhone. It's just a phone lol SMH.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I agree with the op for most of what he says. Not the joke part of course.

But here's the thing. I kinda loved the iPad 3 for the year I had it. It was a killer screen for the time. And so is the iPhone plus...compared to previous iPhones. It only has to last another 11 months. Then I get the S version.

Back to specs, yes they're important to me. I won't brush that aside and deny that. But the only thing I can do is wait for Apple to improve it.

Because going to an oem provided bloatware over android special isn't really an option. And so bringing up what any oem android makers specs is just meaningless to me. It takes more to run that bloat and still have it lag much more than any year old iPhone. That's the real joke.

More ram would be great for the plus. A screen running the resolution it actually renders at would be great. I look forward to it. But that isn't the iPhone 6 Plus. I guess I'll just have to struggle along with the iPhone boasting the best screen its ever had along with killer battery life and camera.

The lag is there in spots though I doubt many notice it. The refreshing does get annoying. But I accepted that during the trial period as the larger, high quality screen just trumped it.

Fwiw, the iPad mini wins the award for slow imo. The iPad 3 at least had payoff via the first large high res tablet screen. But really whatcha going to do? Complain to apple? Start a revolt? Good luck. This isn't anything new. Apple caters to mainstream. Apple loves their profit margin. It's something techies have long accepted.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
You guys are way too defensive the minute someone says one negative thing about an iPhone. It's just a phone lol SMH.

Agreed. While I love Apple products and have purchased so many of them, when someone has a point and find parts of it to be true, it's ok to admit that no device is perfect. For the most part, I have had nothing but awesome experiences with my Apple products. However, for the iPad 3 and quite possibly the the 6+ now (though not to that extent), it might be a less than perfect experience. I think anyone paying hundreds to close to 1,000 dollars for a product should expect the item to perform better than the model before it, especially from a company like Apple. There are so so many Android phones that are pushed out so that there will be several "less than amazing" phones for every one that is amazing. Apple released an update to it's phones just once per year, with these major updates every 2 years. While anyone bashing everything that Apple does is out of their mind, anyone that is ok with Apple's top of the line phone running slower than models 1-2 generations before it are as well!

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So OP you spent a whole half hour away from yahoo news (you must be important if you read yahoo news) to rip the iPhone 6 plus apart only to post later about your company and other forums and again how important you are to say you're going to keep it? If I had this many gripes about a phone I'd be shopping elsewhere.

Also. We get that you're important and do awesome important things. So can we talk about phones again? Thanks.

Ohleo

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Being completely honest, this device doesn't feel fast to me and has strange lag in funky areas. I love the device but yeah....

But this is basically a big Iphone (with some improvements) and if anyone was expecting anything more then i dunno man.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What's funny, I have no complaints with the speed of my 5C, nor have I truthfully noticed any lag.
So I can only imagine what the speed of the 6 will be with the better chip.
At any rate, upgrade time is May, I'll look at the iPhone 6, and check out what Android has to offer.
And I'll make the choice that best fits my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.