The iPhone 15 Pro might ditch the iconic mute switch in favor of something new

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
NO GOOD! I check the mute switch several times a day.

I also wonder how they are going to do cases with capacitive buttons.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Definitely disappointing if true, hope they keep the mute switch, when they switch to capacitive.

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Every software based solution is worse than a haptic switch or key.
But this is what we also got upset about when they took away our beloved Blackberries.
And then we had to get used to typing on glass (which I still hate with a passion).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m up for trying something new. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

I’m with you on this Tadpoles but how it works is key. Example, FaceID took some getting used to, I was fingerprintID user all the way(some still are). Fast forward a few years, when I have to fingerprintID for my iPad mini, I think it’s oddly cumbersome.
There’s a bigger picture here. A smartphone is a relatively small device with extremely limited design space inside where every 1/2 cubic millimeter counts. Getting rid of analog buttons and even the relatively huge USBC port opens up critical space. This is how the phone can take on new functionalities.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how Apple designs this. I'm a bit concerned about this because of the way I seem to carry my iPhone. My fingers grip each side of the phone, near where the volume up/down button and the side button on the other side. Of course, this means that I frequently grip the volume up/down button, inadvertently changing the volume. It's annoying, and I appreciate the current setup of the ring/silent button because they way I carry my iPhone doesn't affect that. I will keep an open mind, and wait and see!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
TBH, I don’t think its a necessity change with a lot to gain but I know I’m ignorant on this. How many people need their phone to be 1000m water resistance though?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
TBH, I don’t think its a necessity change with a lot to gain but I know I’m ignorant on this. How many people need their phone to be 1000m water resistance though?

Lol, funny. There are enough stories to confirm iphone’s IP68 depth and time immersed limits can be exceeded with no harm. One day being able to market it to 1000m may make a great headline but comically unnecessary:)

-This is about real estate. Due to how jam packed it is inside the phone, trying to move a part, add a part or enlarge a part even a quarter cubic millimeter can be a problematic domino effect (see even iPad 10 and Apple Pencil 2 for explanation on internal design change issues).
-This is about no moving parts. Moving parts are much more subject to break down while a solid state should remain functional for the life of the phone. (MacBook Force Touch sensor trackpad. It is solid state and it is the best trackpad in the business).
-this is about efficiency. A haptic button is more efficient than a manually moved part that interrupts/reconnects a circuit.

-What this may be about, a big future plan Apple has for adding something new or a custom part or a new outside design.

Reactions: tadpoles

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73