The 1500 Club

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 132070

I didn't realize it but I got this in June! On to 1750!

9f1179783d312a270feea96c596667d2.jpg

Joined a new club today

Congrats to both of you :)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
There might be 3 days I did not close the rings legit since getting a Series 2, and my 8 showed up last week.

Just getting an 8 I see faults in their system where they don't have a rest day, and the system of awards seems for coach potatoes. By that I mean if you do some endurance sports on a regular basis new goals are kind of absurd. Example, you burned 2000+ calories on a weekend with 2 - 6 hours of exercise pretty good for a guy who could collect social security. Then Apple tells you do do more on Monday.

My look at and questions to Apple Store staff didn't answer if an Ultra model would be better or different in this regard.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just getting an 8 I see faults in their system where they don't have a rest day, and the system of awards seems for coach potatoes.

Oh yes. A pet peeve of mine as well. (That said, I really don't need the motivation of streaks and closing rings, so I'm ok with it.)

By that I mean if you do some endurance sports on a regular basis new goals are kind of absurd. Example, you burned 2000+ calories on a weekend with 2 - 6 hours of exercise pretty good for a guy who could collect social security. Then Apple tells you do do more on Monday.

My look at and questions to Apple Store staff didn't answer if an Ultra model would be better or different in this regard.

Though I can't say for sure since I don't have my Ultra yet, I'd say that I am over 99.9999% sure that it doesn't matter which watch model you have. It's all based on machine learning algorithms in the Health/Fitness apps. From what I have deduced, my theory is that if you meet your goal for a month, or come very close, the next goal will often be a random metric and will ask you to do about 10% more the next month. If you haven't met the goal recently, they pick a close-the-rings goal that you've accomplished recently and ask you to match it.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes. A pet peeve of mine as well. (That said, I really don't need the motivation of streaks and closing rings, so I'm ok with it.)

Though I can't say for sure since I don't have my Ultra yet, I'd say that I am over 99.9999% sure that it doesn't matter which watch model you have. It's all based on machine learning algorithms in the Health/Fitness apps. From what I have deduced, my theory is that if you meet your goal for a month, or come very close, the next goal will often be a random metric and will ask you to do about 10% more the next month. If you haven't met the goal recently, they pick a close-the-rings goal that you've accomplished recently and ask you to match it.

To be legit closing the rings and get needed rest days my wife and I have set our move goals lower over time. Being either side of age 60 we absolutely need rest or slack days to still do serious exercise. She runs a lot. I do expert level MTB riding or 1-6 hour other bike rides. What the status quo does - drop the move goal - means more 2-4 times move rings. For a rest or slack day we still do legit activity. More stretching and a 1.5 to 3 mi walk on top of a work day will close the rings.

Overall I know how to use it as a sports tool and accept what is a lot of nudging for couch potatoes because we have far to many. To me it is also important where the watch can reward extreme scenarios. My 90 year old mother tries to close her rings. Same for people with health issues or working at obesity. Still, a rest day button would be nice.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Just getting an 8 I see faults in their system where they don't have a rest day.

I've griped about this from the beginning. To me, this is a major flaw in the software. Those who do significant exercise know that a rest day is essential. It is because of the lack of a rest day that I set my move goal low enough that my actual goal is to average at least 200% every day except rest day. Call that cheating if you want, but it keeps me motivated as evidenced by the 1200+ miles I have run so far this year.

By the way, I've noticed there are several re-designed and/or new award logos and there are now move goals for up to 3000.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Last night I broke a few years of honestly closing the rings.

The why was a reminder of the faults in the software. Even getting sick and feeling rotten I still did an honest 24 minutes of exercise, thought maybe I'd do some stretching after dinner, but was just feeling cold, rotten, achy and went to bed. There should be a bypass option if you are athletic and having a recovery day or sick but still have the discipline I did to keep moving, stand and also take being sick with some discipline in terms of activity.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are athletic enough to close rings every day, and earn as many as 1500 move ring closures, frankly IMO the idea of always closing your rings isn't really for you. It's really designed for people who are reluctant to exercise regularly and need some sort of push to get themselves moving. Whether I close y move ring or just miss by a few calories - I don't sweat it at all. It's mire a curiosity for me. I need motivation more to take rest and easy days then I do to get moving in the first place.

I hope you feel well soon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new member of the club: I just got my notification an hour or so ago, ironically while I was sitting around not being terribly active.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods