The Phone. Why Apple will drop the"i" in iPhone

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I suppose if you go back before the iPhone, there was no use of the i. But for a while, everything had the i. Then with the Apple TV, it stopped for new products and services.

Before the iPhone was the iPod and of course many other variants of it, iSight Camera (standalone), iPod Hifi.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I suppose if you go back before the iPhone, there was no use of the i. But for a while, everything had the i. Then with the Apple TV, it stopped for new products and services.

iMac was first with the "i", in 1998, and iPod in 2001. iPhone was 2007, but seems like it was the first because there have been so many and it's been so successful!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Phone. Why Apple will drop the"i" in iPhone

iMac was first with the "i", in 1998, and iPod in 2001. iPhone was 2007, but seems like it was the first because there have been so many and it's been so successful!

Yep. I didn't pay much attention to Apple stuff then. The iPhone opened my eyes. My point wasn't about when it began though.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Phone. Why Apple will drop the"i" in iPhone

Yep. I didn't pay much attention to Apple stuff then. The iPhone opened my eyes. My point wasn't about when it began though.

Yeah, it existed before the iPhone, but I understood what you were saying, the iPhone kind of "put it on the map" so to speak, opening up a wider section of users than any of the other i-Devices before it!

DarlaMack

Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, it existed before the iPhone, but I understood what you were saying, the iPhone kind of "put it on the map" so to speak, opening up a wider section of users than any of the other i-Devices before it!

Lol the revolutionary (i)device was the iPod! and I am unanimous in that!!! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Lol the revolutionary (i)device was the iPod! and I am unanimous in that!!! :D

Yeah. Forgot that one. But my point was about when they stopped using the i.
I never had an iPod. My first music device was an LG Chocolate phone.

DarlaMack

Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. Forgot that one. But my point was about when they stopped using the i.
I never had an iPod. My first music device was an LG Chocolate phone.

Lol mine was the Nokia MP3 player... I loved that thing. That was back when I was anti-Apple

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Lol mine was the Nokia MP3 player... I loved that thing. That was back when I was anti-Apple

Mine was the 2nd version of the iPod, which had the faux click wheel (meaning it didn't spin, like the very first one). I may still have it in the basement somewhere...

original-ipod-386-259663.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Oh, and this little gizmo.
2d0876fb1e05ac9fed319947c7f8831a.jpg

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
iPhone is ubiquitous with smart phones in much of the world. I can't see them changing it to Apple Phone. Of course, it's possible that the top-tier phone could be the Apple Phone Edition, but I even doubt that.

Wicket

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
dropping the "i" is interesting and I doubt they'd have issue selling them as most people would blindly still call them iPhones much like the i̶ Apple Watch. I don't see them doing this though as there really is no reason behind it. They are Apple though and do whatever they please. :p

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
iPhone is a consumer staple. I doubt they will change the naming scheme, simply because it makes no sense from a marketing perspective.

This sums it up nicely for me. The name iPhone is one of the most iconic names in the smartphone business. It stands for quality, performance and above all, customer satisfaction :) I definitely think Apple is open to using the name 'Apple' before their products but only on new products that people haven't associated a name with already like the 'Apple Watch'. Ive never thought of that product as the iWatch because Apple introduced it as something else. But if it was originally called the iWatch and Apple tried to change it. lol i would still call it the iWatch in 5 years from now.