Text Message App Auto Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this has been answered before but... I just got my iPhone 5 and everytime I get a text message and open the "messages" app, it automatically goes to the new text.

Is there a way to disable this and have it just open to the list of ALL texts rather than the newest one everytime?

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You know what Im talking about though right? Im not crazy? :)

I get a new text and it instantly opens that text when I click on the messages... not a big fan of that....

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know what you're talking about. Didn't see it anywhere in settings unless it's hidden really well LOL.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, there's no way around it. It assumes that if a new text comes in and you go to the message app, your purpose is to check that new text.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been answered before but... I just got my iPhone 5 and everytime I get a text message and open the "messages" app, it automatically goes to the new text.

Is there a way to disable this and have it just open to the list of ALL texts rather than the newest one everytime?

Not trying to start a debate, just honestly curious...why do you want it to do this?

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If I have 2 or 3 text messages and go to check it, it automatically opens the newest one. I'd prefer it to just open the lists of all texts (like email) and let me read whichever one I want .

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If I have 2 or 3 text messages and go to check it, it automatically opens the newest one. I'd prefer it to just open the lists of all texts (like email) and let me read whichever one I want .

I get what you're saying. If I could disable it then I would. Messages should behave like emails and just open the list of unread messages

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it may open to the one you actually slide to open the device...I don't have any messages to test this, but I think that's how I have observed it working.

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it may open to the one you actually slide to open the device...I don't have any messages to test this, but I think that's how I have observed it working.

Negative. It opens the newest text regardless of if the phone is locked or not. Im sure apple thinks this is a "cool feature" but its kind of annoying :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Negative. It opens the newest text regardless of if the phone is locked or not. Im sure apple thinks this is a "cool feature" but its kind of annoying :)

It is extremely annoying. Especially if the text is the notification from AT&T that they have received your payment (right after using the AT&T app) and you don't [expletive deleted]ing need to see the text and just want to slide to delete it from the list!

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It is extremely annoying. Especially if the text is the notification from AT&T that they have received your payment (right after using the AT&T app) and you don't [expletive deleted]ing need to see the text and just want to slide to delete it from the list!

Haha, at least Im not the only one :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Gotcha...i honestly never paid attention to it, but now that i know it does this, I'd also like an option to turn this off.

Junius8

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The only way around that is when the text comes through hit the power button to lock the phone then you can unlock it, go to your messages and you will see the list of unread messages

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it must be annoying if you can't turn it off. BlackBerry does that too EXCEPT.. on BB it is "Auto open newest message after removing from holster". We have the option to set to NEVER, ALWAYS or AFTER SOUND OR VIBRATION.

Having the option to turn off is heaven sent and quite handy. Just like being able to turn on or off the led notification light.

Choice is good.

George Pope1

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site

Your best bet might be to walk into your nearest Apple Store & ask one of the Apple Geniuses, explaining/showing your issue in person. . .

It makes sense that the default action is to open most recent, as a planned feature, but there may well be a sneaky backdoor trick to do what you want

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your best bet might be to walk into your nearest Apple Store & ask one of the Apple Geniuses, explaining/showing your issue in person. . .

It makes sense that the default action is to open most recent, as a planned feature, but there may well be a sneaky backdoor trick to do what you want

This thread is over 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice