Tething iPhone Charges

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not too hard to identify the difference between cellular use and laptop (tethered) use. If they do happen to stumble across you they very easily could charge you per KB and it would be ridiculously expensive.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
But WHY should they charge more just because you use the laptop tethered to an iphone? They shouldn't; it should just be an added bonus to buying an iphone. That's just my opinion; I know why they want to charge for it.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm not gonna mess with tethering until it's official. But once it is, look out! I may just get my own laptop (instead of bumming my parents') to celebrate! (Right after I pick those winning lotto numbers or finish school and get a better job, whichever comes first! ;))

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I used help.BenM.at - Mobileconfigs für dein iPhone | BenM.at to get tething on my iPhone and I have AT&T will they know I am tething and charge me?
I doubt that they will notice. I even doubt that they can notice.

VoIP may be another thing. They are sufficiently concerned about their fragile business model and it is sufficiently easy to recognize that they may notice that.

Their control through Apple is sufficiently effective that they are not likely to worry about what happens at the margin.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
But WHY should they charge more just because you use the laptop tethered to an iphone? They shouldn't; it should just be an added bonus to buying an iphone. That's just my opinion; I know why they want to charge for it.

They probably should not care but they do. They will be dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century.

We are paying the price for the special breaks that we gave them in the thirties that warped their business model. It saddled them with debt secured by things, like copper and switches, that are now obsolete. They did not modernize fast enough and they did not pay off the debt fast enough.

Level 2 is now a commodity, and while one can move any bit as cheaply as any other, not all bits are of equal value. They have to hide the commodity so that only they can sell the value-added services where the money is. Eventually the Congress and the regulators will get wise. Eventually competition will come back into the market.

In the meantime, we are all getting cheaper services as the result of competition in the 90s. Imagine if we were trying to do all this with distance-based tariffs of earlier years.

Last edited:

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
t-mobile tethering

[QUOTETramain;1489500]I used "THIS LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED" to get tething on my iPhone and I have AT&T will they know I am tething and charge me?[/QUOTE]

thats a good Q...i have the same Q but with t-mobile...anyone??:confused:

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
moderate use

The key is moderation. Use it as you rprimary connection and get billed. Use it occasionally when you cannot find free wifi and you should be ok.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been using the help.benm.at tethering hack for several months and have closely scoured my bill for any charges. Nothing so far....

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Pdanet makes it look like an app is using the data instead of a tethered device. Mywi in Cydia does the same thing plus let's you act as a access point.

usman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
tethering and iphone..

here is my understanding on this matter.

if you update to 3.1 att can decifer between iphone and laptop. i am using 3.0 still with jailbreak and a hacked IPCC file. I have had no troubles with mms and tethering.

I use it from time to time with my netbook.

you have to use it in moderation otherwise you will be sniped by att. moderate browsing and some downloading here and there is okay, torrents and large files being 400+ mb are not.

use your own common sense.

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
tethering and iphone..

here is my understanding on this matter.

if you update to 3.1 att can decifer between iphone and laptop. i am using 3.0 still with jailbreak and a hacked IPCC file. I have had no troubles with mms and tethering.

I use it from time to time with my netbook.

you have to use it in moderation otherwise you will be sniped by att. moderate browsing and some downloading here and there is okay, torrents and large files being 400+ mb are not.

use your own common sense.

Here is this to clear up your understanding... ATT put out the 3.0 firmware that supported MMS and Tethering. Ive been using both since it was released. They quickly realized that everybody was getting this free(tethering) and MMS early so they decided to keep our SIM blocked from completing the circuit for MMS and in turn was creating the 3.1 to release the MMS which EVERYBODY wants. They did this so that when everybody gets what they want MMS that your tethering will disappear and be disabled once you go to 3.1. I havent heard of anybody getting it back since they've updated. EVEN with the benm downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 which they say will bring tethering back... There is vidoes out of jailbreaks for 3.1 on 2g and 3g. I dont believe it! Ive tried and IT DOES NOT WORK!

So those of you foolish enough to give up 3.0 and tethering for MMS and 3.1 are nuts because 3.0 is the only firmware that supports BOTH for free.

Soon tethering will be enabled but to get it you will have to pay 60 bucks a month on top of your minutes and the data plan. F THAT!

IT WONT!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative