Temporary switch to iOS??? Hello

hawkeye16qb

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

In the mobile phone arena I have made the switch to iOS. I have been an android user for about 4 years. My most recent phone was the Galaxy S3.

I have had an iPad 2 for a few years and love the device so I thought maybe I would enjoy the iPhone as much.

I bought an iPhone 4 off contract in anticipation of the iPhone 5s. I know it is 2 year old technology, but man I am really struggling with it.

I am hoping iOS 7 makes things a little more tolerable to use. I really struggle without quick toggles, notification center accessible from lock screen, swiping emails from notification center, etc.

The screen was a big change, but maybe will be better with a 4 inch screen on the 5s? I am really not a fan of using iTunes, so hopefully I can adjust to that. Frankly I hate using it.

I will test drive this a while longer. If it grows on me I will upgrade to the 5s. If not I will probably look at heading back to android and the HTC One or a Galaxy S4 or Note 3.

Thanks for all the help I've been given so far, it is very much appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore...:)...as for your switch to the iPhone 4, may I suggest that you go to a nearby wireless carrier store and play around with the iPhone 5. It will give you an idea of how fast the 5S should be and it is a huge jump from the 4. Have you seen any of the videos floating around the Internet regarding iOS 7? Hopefully, some of the capabilities you want will be incorporated and allow you to stay with Apple, but if not, it's all good. Use the device that best suits YOU, whether an Apple device or not. Take care and good luck....;)

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Hi, hawkeye, and welcome to the iMore forums.

There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here, and we're glad that you joined us. Have a look around and jump in to the conversation.

Feel free to ask any questions, as well... we’re here to help!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Take a look at the iPhone 5. Keep in mind the 5S will have an even faster processor. Enjoy your stay.

hawkeye16qb

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. The wife has an iphone 5, so I'm familiar. I am just struggling with some functionality of the software and not being able to do some things I did before. Speed isn't really an issue. Also I liked being able to drag and drop things to my android. Not so much with iTunes. Big learning curve for me!

Thanks everyone!

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The functionality you're missing will come, if it comes, with iOS7, not the 5s.

I was, and still am, primarily an Android user. But I carry 2 phones which gives me the opportunity to try out other platforms. Last year I orderd the Nexus 4 on launch day, but due to backorder I had to get a temporary filler. One device I tried was a Nokia Lumia 710. I also had an iPhone 3G to see what iPhone was all about. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough! However, later I had the opportunity to get an iPhone 5 for a good price, so I did. It sure changed my view of the iPhone! Now it wouldn't be hard for me to leave Android entirely if it wasn't for the iPhone's 4" screen. I'm telling you this to say that even with what you're missing from Android, the increased performance of the iPhone 5 or 5s might be enough to help you overlook what you're missing.

But then, the iPhone 5s with iOS7 is released, then a bit later the Nexus 5 with Key Lime Pie comes along, and then... It seems like those of us who aren't into just one platform are always looking over the fence, green with envy.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi hawkeye and Welcome to iMore. i hate to tell you this but you are here to stay, We don't allow you to go back once you get here....LOL Well i think you know I am joking with you but if you spend a fair amount of time reading our forums and blogs and all the new info that has happened to iDevices you will be impressed. Also if there is anything we can do here to help in any way just ask us. At least give it until Sept 10th for the announcement on the new iDevices coming out especially the iPhone and then make up your mind.
No matter what we are happy to have you here as a member of iMore so enjoy yourself. :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore hawkeye,

If you need help use the search tool found here: Search iMore

If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. That's why we are here.

Again Welcome to iMore and enjoy your stay!

access101

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Welcome hawk eye

I too switch back and forth between iphone5 and a nexus 4. I might suggest a jailbreak. Works for me. My iphone is the most realizable device I've ever used. I forget that it runs months without a hiccup!

Good luck!

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore Community hawkeye
biggrin.png
I'm sure you will find iMore a fun, friendly, and informative place to be
smile.png
Hopefully your phone will grow on you we'd love to have you stay !

hawkeye16qb

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, my stay was short lived. Gave iphone to my son, and went to the HTC One. I may be back when iphone 6 rolls out, who knows. Thanks for the help everyone.

Still love my ipad so I will still be lurking.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, my stay was short lived. Gave iphone to my son, and went to the HTC One. I may be back when iphone 6 rolls out, who knows. Thanks for the help everyone.

Still love my ipad so I will still be lurking.

Hope it works out great for you, good luck.