Temporary Fix for overheating while charging issue

Greg Maass

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
So my SS watch is defective- gets super hot when put on the charger, will not charge, eventually shuts down because it gets too hot. I'm having it replaced. In the meantime, I wanted to clear off all of my personal info, and needed to get enough charge to turn it back on. Putting it on the charger would initiate charging maybe 1 out of 30 times, and after a couple of minutes it would stop charging as it was getting too hot. Seems like the charge had to go somewhere, so it just kept heating up.

I realized that it would initiate charging only after it had cooled down completely, so I tried to hasten that cooling by rubbing the back with an ice cube briefly. Surprise- it initiated charging and kept charging for several minutes, instead of shutting off d/t overheating. So I wrapped an ice cube in plastic, put the charger on top of that, and then put the watch on the charger. Successful charging. Seems like keeping the charger cold is the secret- the cold is conducted enough to the watch to keep it from overheating when charging.

A small victory- hope this might help others in the same situation. Hassle free charging will seem like such a luxury when my replacement gets here.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So my SS watch is defective- gets super hot when put on the charger, will not charge, eventually shuts down because it gets too hot. I'm having it replaced. In the meantime, I wanted to clear off all of my personal info, and needed to get enough charge to turn it back on. Putting it on the charger would initiate charging maybe 1 out of 30 times, and after a couple of minutes it would stop charging as it was getting too hot. Seems like the charge had to go somewhere, so it just kept heating up.

I realized that it would initiate charging only after it had cooled down completely, so I tried to hasten that cooling by rubbing the back with an ice cube briefly. Surprise- it initiated charging and kept charging for several minutes, instead of shutting off d/t overheating. So I wrapped an ice cube in plastic, put the charger on top of that, and then put the watch on the charger. Successful charging. Seems like keeping the charger cold is the secret- the cold is conducted enough to the watch to keep it from overheating when charging.

A small victory- hope this might help others in the same situation. Hassle free charging will seem like such a luxury when my replacement gets here.

Thank you for sharing this information, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with this issue. I hope you get it resolved soon.

cwilliams706

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for sharing the awesome tip!

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Could this be a defective charger instead of watch? Might be worth to try charging your watch with a different charger.

I believe he reported in another thread that he went to the Genius Bar and they tried another charger, which worked initially, then returned to the overheating issue, indicating something's amiss in his watch. His ice cube trick is to keep using it until he gets his replacement.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods