TBD: Face ID is NOT as secure as TouchID!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
What’s with the TBD? I’m pretty sure the millions of dollars Apple invested into having professionals test the hardware and software has already determined more than those of us on iMore could ever determine.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
What’s with the TBD? I’m pretty sure the millions of dollars Apple invested into having professionals test the hardware and software has already determined more than those of us on iMore could ever determine.

Try billions of dollars. All companies do. And yet when the user base gets these devices bugs are found and (hopefully) patched. When millions of phones are deployed in the real world that's millions of user testing hours accumulated in short order. Vulnerabilities are constantly being discovered.

Look at Dropbox. iOS 11 was in developer beta since this summer yet they still don't have photo upload working correctly as of iOS 11.1 official.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
And here we go. The mask spoof is quite unpractical but this is rather shocking indeed!
MDM admins are surely going to prevent users from enabling FaceID now...

https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/

Just two things. First, the kid and that mom have very similar faces. Second, FaceID has a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of being fooled, not 1 in 8,000,000,000 or roughly 100% of not being fooled. Yes it will be fooled, but TouchID is significantly easier to fool, Apple claims 1 in 50,000.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Somehow I am not all that worried

At the hairdresser on the weekend it wouldn’t unlock my phone for ME because my glasses were not on. That impressed me.

Much ado, chicken little.

RichR67

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Face ID is NOT as secure as TouchID!

And again Apple specifically mention a possible issue with identical twins and recommended sticking with a passcode if you had an evil twin haha que picture of Mr. Spock with the beard so I don't think anyone is being mislead..

RichR67

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Also this was covered in the white paper something about the facial features of kids under a certain age and there was a similarity in facial features between mom and her son which is to be expected :).
This doesn't bother me and who knows we may find out later that he knows her passcode and was training the phone every time if failed for him but regardless show me a video of a complete stranger unlocking someone's phone and THAT would concern me not this twin/almost twin brother/ 8 year-old opening mom's phone stuff.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am a identical twin and I would expect my twin brother to be able to unlock my phone. Personally I like knowing this, so if something where to happen to me, he could access my phone.

There are always going for be folks out there who can get by any security system. Doesn’t matter if it’s fingerprint sensors and face recognition.

I have faith the Apple is aware of this and with all its previous devices, they will have an update to strengthen the feature.

Until that time I don’t think there are more then two of us out there, so I am not concerned.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Face ID or Touch ID to me is more of like a convenience than security. Unfortunately, those 2 doesn’t go together. You’ll have to choose either one. You can always turn it off and use the PIN if you’re not comfortable with the security.

srmoreno

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I can tell you my twin brother picked up my phone the other day and successfully unlocked it every time he looked at it. Not that I’m worried about him looking at my phone

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
A failure impressed you?

This is EXACTLY what FaceID is advertised NOT to do! It's supposed to recognize you with hats and even sunglasses.

I'm finding it does unlock if I wear my amber tinted Serengeti Drivers but my polarized Raybans, nope...

It's definitely an improvement over the Iris scanner on my Note 8 and S8+ for sure. Especially in sunlight where the retina scanner does not work at all.

But it's a serious compromise for convenience.

Thinking otherwise is delusional.

What's worse than having no security is being foiled by a system claiming you're secure when you're not. Don't drink the kool aid or believe those odds, they are pure rubbish.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How many of you are expecting the following within the next year or two?

1. Your iPhone X will be stolen
2. Someone is going to take the time to create a mask or something in an attempt to gain access to some top secret files that they somehow know you have saved on your iPhone X.
3. Not be able to sleep because someone was able to trick an iPhone X that did not belong to you or anyone else you personally know.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
How many of you are expecting the following within the next year or two?

1. Your iPhone X will be stolen
2. Someone is going to take the time to create a mask or something in an attempt to gain access to some top secret files that they somehow know you have saved on your iPhone X.
3. Not be able to sleep because someone was able to trick an iPhone X that did not belong to you or anyone else you personally know.

One person in this thread will 🤣