Tabs are reloading all the time!

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I use the web browser A LOT, and naturally I am disappointed seeing tabs that need to be reloaded every so often.

For example, if I stay on a web page for like 10 minutes, going back to their previous tab has it automatically reloading. Whenever I watch YouTube with two tabs, the same happens to the second dormant tab.

Then, whenever I open 3 to 5 tabs, the rest need to be reloaded when I return to them.

Why is this so? I had an iPad 2 for three years, and it NEVER was an issue there. And that has just half the RAM as my Mini Retina. I've also had an Android tablet for over. 2 years with 1GB RAM and no issues there too.

In fact, on my iPad 2, things were so good I could go into 2 or 3 apps, sometimes even a game or two, and return to the browser with all tabs fully loaded.

Hence, I am thoroughly mystified by what's going on here. If anyone knows or can guess what the issue is, do let me know!

Thanks!

PS: Just to illustrate the severity of the issue, I had two tabs open while typing this message on my iPad. This tab, and soccernet.com. After typing this message, returning to the other tab had me needing to reload it.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe it has to do with system memory (RAM), if you do too much (either in safari or other apps) and the memory is needed elsewhere, the page is cleared from memory, and only a snapshot of it remains, meaning it has to reload when you go back to it.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I cleared every single app from the multitasking panel and it doesn't help.

All these years I thought ios had better memory management than Android but it's evidently not the case anymore. I can open 8 tabs with no issue on my Android tablet without them reloading. And I am talking about multimedia rich pages.

Like I said, I primarily bought this for web browsing, and for someone used to having multiple tabs open at once, it is a major disappointment.

I just need confirmation if this is the case for other mini retina owners as well as iPad Air and iPhone 5s. And if yes, what are the odds of Apple improving things in ios 8 perhaps.

Edit: Right after typing this, I opened my gmail tab (only two running tabs) and it reloaded. Immediately, within one second, I came back to this tab and it had to be reloaded as well. I had already cleared out my multitask bar. That's how bad it is!

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Nevermind, I think it is both a combination of RAM issues and Safari. Downloaded Google Chrome and I can switch through four tabs effortlessly. When I load up a fifth one, only then the reloading kicks in. Gonna try a few more to see which are the best.

Edit: Mercury browser can also handle four pages without reloading. Apple needs to fix Safari!

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Whether you run iOS, MacOS or Windows; this is a very well known unaddressed issue. There is no fix for now I would suggest in finding an alternative web-browser.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi again,

I just borrowed my dad's iPad 2. It is running on the latest OS version. The results are shocking!

I can open up 8 tabs (I didn't bother opening more), and I can cycle through with NO issues! What more, I am even multitasking out of other apps and again the browser tabs are there, not needing to reload!

I am completely dumbfounded. With half the RAM, at that. How can this be? Please, somebody knowledgeable, tell me if this is a device defect with my Mini Retina. Even switching to other browsers, I need to reload when I hit 4 tabs, which is not ideal.

Edit: I just used my brothers iPhone 5s also and same thing. He loaded 6 tabs, opened 3 others apps, and came back to Safari. All tabs are fully loaded too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox