T-Mobile 5G Home comparability

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Do all devices soppors t-mobile 5g home internet. I ask cause my older iPads do not connect to my T-Mobile Gateway. Both my 12.9 iPad Pro’s and iPhone 8+ connect though.

I see this.

2ec2f4f39291f7a307e452e1cf24e85c.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The settings page is not very detailed as on like NetGear is. Another weird setup. When choosing a SSID spaces are not allowed in the name. First time I ever saw that.

Here is all the configurations that are available.
How else would I know the encryption?

861d5188ec0a35878ef30f652ad378cc.jpg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The settings page is not very detailed as on like NetGear is. Another weird setup. When choosing a SSID spaces are not allowed in the name. First time I ever saw that.

Do you have access to advanced network settings?

It could be that your network requires Protected Management Frames (or PMF) that older devices do not support.
67d233a8463f3d29874487951dc481d0.jpg

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That is what I thought. Compatibility. Li,e when 3G was ended peeps were advised to purchase compatible devices.

I am not doing that for one reason I must be in a dead internet zone. Cause my Verizon LTE service and T-Mobiles 5G home service connect at the same speed. Here is a photograph of T-Mobiles speed.

This is the same when test the speed on FAST application as well.

738d36284942c5507d055f322cf63b57.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If you look at Ed’s screenshot, it is listed as security protocol. - WPA, WPA+TKIP, WPA-2, WPA-3, etcetera.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I do not even see any security settings.

Yeah… that actually could be the reason why the iPad can’t connect to the network. Maybe with an iPadOS update, it could… but it’s a long stretch.

If you look at Ed’s screenshot, it is listed as security protocol. - WPA, WPA+TKIP, WPA-2, WPA-3, etcetera.
My screenshot was from a different kind of gateway
I was just trying to demonstrate what to look for :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah… that actually could be the reason why the iPad can’t connect to the network. Maybe with an iPadOS update, it could… but it’s a long stretch.

It’s been a while, but years back I had a wireless router that support AES, but some of my devices couldn’t use anything higher than TKIP. I had to lower the encryption so that they all could connect. Again, that was a long time ago, but the OP’s scenario reminded me of it.

As for your screenshot, I found it to be an excellent example and a reminder that different manufacturers may label something differently.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
It’s been a while, but years back I had a wireless router that support AES, but some of my devices couldn’t use anything higher than TKIP. I had to lower the encryption so that they all could connect. Again, that was a long time ago, but the OP’s scenario reminded me of it.

As for your screenshot, I found it to be an excellent example and a reminder that different manufacturers may label something differently.

I ordered a new gateway. May that one will work better.

My Verizon LTE wireless router has all the needed settings.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

These iPads are not new enough to update. If the new gateway does not fix this then I will stay with Verizon.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Wish I could see those settings. Why would a manufacturer not have the important settings included?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could see those settings. Why would a manufacturer not have the important settings included?

Often it’s not the manufacturer but the client, here T-Mobile USA. To make their customer’s life easier and reduce tech support calls ($$), they will set their defaults and hIde the option from the end-user. Sometimes, it’s possible to call them up and have it configured for you; do not know if it is the case here.

If your T-Mobile modem supports wired Ethernet, I would get a wireless access point (or something more complete like a router-switch-AP combo) and use that for wireless instead. It also abstracts me from carrier limitations :)

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Often it’s not the manufacturer but the client, here T-Mobile USA. To make their customer’s life easier and reduce tech support calls ($$), they will set their defaults and hIde the option from the end-user. Sometimes, it’s possible to call them up and have it configured for you; do not know if it is the case here.

If your T-Mobile modem supports wired Ethernet, I would get a wireless access point (or something more complete like a router-switch-AP combo) and use that for wireless instead. It also abstracts me from carrier limitations :)

That I guess what is going on here. TMobile sets to their defaults. I would rather have the more detailed options. Not having those options does not make my life easier.

Yes there are two Ethernet ports on the back.

My settings do not show a setting tor a wireless access point. I have no idea what a router-AP combo is.

Nor really a modem. This is a modem router combination.

So when I get the replacement gateway and that is the same with the sloooooooow 18.1 mbps download speed and 1.64 upload speed I will stay with Verizon. I get 20 mbps with Verizon.

I see these recordings where peeps get these over 100-250 mbps speed.

I am doubting that. Seems impossible. Making those recordings to gain viewers.

Today I tested the speed a few minutes ago. I now get 4.75 mbps download speed and 1.63 upload speed.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
After reading this (and still being told T-Mobile internet is not available on my area) I think I’ll stay with Spectrum and my Ubiquity setup.

Still, it would be nice to have to take with me when I go out of town.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I placed the gateway in every place in my location. Outside, inside on top of a shelf near the ceiling, in the front and back of my location. The highest signal I 3 out of the 5 or 6 available.

Even with the higher signal I still only had a speed test of like 6.85.

I bet I am too far from a tower.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That I guess what is going on here. TMobile sets to their defaults. I would rather have the more detailed options. Not having those options does not make my life easier.

Yes there are two Ethernet ports on the back.

My settings do not show a setting tor a wireless access point. I have no idea what a router-AP combo is.

Nor really a modem. This is a modem router combination.

So when I get the replacement gateway and that is the same with the sloooooooow 18.1 mbps download speed and 1.64 upload speed I will stay with Verizon. I get 20 mbps with Verizon.

I see these recordings where peeps get these over 100-250 mbps speed.

I am doubting that. Seems impossible. Making those recordings to gain viewers.

Today I tested the speed a few minutes ago. I now get 4.75 mbps download speed and 1.63 upload speed.

There’s a lot of information to unload here.

You most likely received a modem-router-AP combo unit from T-Mobile. Here’s what each component does (for future reference :) ):
  • Modem: Used to encode or decode signals transferring different transmission methods (e.g.: phone lines, coaxial cable, 4G,)
  • Router: Used to route traffic between different networks. A common home user has two networks: home network (LAN) and the rest of the Internet
  • Wireless Access Point (AP): Used to provide WiFi access… it basically transmis Ethernet over the air.

There are many factors that will determine the wireless data rate, including distance to nearest tower, the allocated frequency (the higher the frequency, faster the connection, but lower the allowable distance to the tower), and how many other users are in the same network cell. None of these factors are under your control. Factors you can control is giving a better antenna placement and trying a different service/modem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox