Syncing Photos causes "Other" to explode

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This actually started with iOS 8:

When I have photos syncing to my iOS devices, the "Other" category explodes. Without photos synced, my "Other" space usage as shown by iTunes typically hovers around 750MB. With photos synced, it explodes up to over 5GB!

I am currently syncing about 5400 photos (basically, almost my entire digital photo library). The usage bar in iTunes says that's 909.6MB (of resized) of photos on my iPhone 6 and "Other" has 5.1GB. When I remove the photos, "Other" shrinks to less than 1GB. It's annoying on my iPhone 6, which is a 64GB model, but my iPad 2 is only 16GB so that extra wasted space is a real usage issue.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I spent some time on the phone with Apple Support this evening, and the guy, a senior tech, could not explain it either, but I did show him the effect.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem except my 'other' is 20 Gb. I suspect it is the old iPhoto database

Windows PC here, I don't have iPhoto. And this exploded "other" issue is new as of iOS8.x. I think I was using the same version of iTunes across the transition between before and after the issue started as I was not fond of the layout changes to iTunes 12.

gmillertime

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Another (possibly unrelated) symptom - When I check the storage capacity on the phone, it says there are 40 GB available but the iTunes 'meter' is showing only 20GB.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klotpo