Syncing IPhone to 2 Different Computers

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello..I'm not sure what forum I should be posting this question to..

I sync my iphone 4s primarily on my desktop but I also travel quite a bit and want to sync it on my laptop while I'm away. I will be syncing under the same Itunes account.

My question is I have all my music loaded from my desktop will I loose it if I sync to my laptop. What will change on my phone syncing to the laptop?

Thanks In Advance!

Dregs

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello..I'm not sure what forum I should be posting this question to..

I sync my iphone 4s primarily on my desktop but I also travel quite a bit and want to sync it on my laptop while I'm away. I will be syncing under the same Itunes account.

My question is I have all my music loaded from my desktop will I loose it if I sync to my laptop. What will change on my phone syncing to the laptop?

Thanks In Advance!

Dregs

Yes. Apple only allows the iDevices to be synced with one computer at a time. If you have already synced it with your desktop, syncing it with you laptop will cause iTunes to delete all content and sync it with only the stuff on your laptop. And when you go back to your desktop, it will do the same - wipe out everything synced from the laptop and sync with stuff configured to sync on the desktop.

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If I copy my Itunes folder to my laptop will that help? My main concern is my musics meta data album covers etc...

TIA

Dregs

- - - Updated - - -

Also..

Thanks again would I be able to upgrade to IOS 6.1 via wifi without plugging in to my laptop?

TIA

Dregs

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If I copy my Itunes folder to my laptop will that help? My main concern is my musics meta data album covers etc...

TIA

Dregs

- - - Updated - - -

Also..

Thanks again would I be able to upgrade to IOS 6.1 via wifi without plugging in to my laptop?

TIA

Dregs

Copying your iTunes folder might help overall, but the process will still be the same.. whenever you sync with a different computer, it's going to wipe and resync... so it could be a slow process, depending on how much stuff you are synching.

Regarding the iOS 6.1 - there is no iOS 6.1 (yet)... but when it's released, yes, you should be able to do an over-the-air (OTA) update via your wifi network without having to use your computer.

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks..I appreciate your help..I was thinking if I did copy the Itunes folder the music data should still be there with the album cover info...?!?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks..I appreciate your help..I was thinking if I did copy the Itunes folder the music data should still be there with the album cover info...?!?

Yes, it will all be on both computers... but the sync process will still be the same - wipe/reload... switch computers... wipe/reload... plus, you get the added headache of keeping your music in synch between the two computers. :)

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will all be on both computers... but the sync process will still be the same - wipe/reload... switch computers... wipe/reload... plus, you get the added headache of keeping your music in synch between the two computers. :)

True but it seems that this will be my life! Trying to learn to live with it..

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro