sync problem

goodmusic

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my new iphone 4Gs and when I plugged it in to sync instead of backing up from my old 3Gs I clicked on "new" phone. It set it up, but didn't use the last back up I made for my old phone. I still have all my info on my old phone, but don't know if I should plug it back in since I thought it might lose everything? Any ideas on how I can start over? (having to use the USB since my laptop is not using a current enough os)

reginald_1986

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you back up to the computer?

If yes, just plug in your new phone and itunes will pop up. Select your device and restore from backup. If it goes into sync before that, press the small round x button to stop the sync.

Hope this helps.

goodmusic

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I just tried that, it did start to sync and I hit the x button and it stopped, but it didn't show an option to get my last back up from my old phone. I'm guessing my old back up is there, but since I synced the new phone as "new', it is using that now (as the last backup) I was thinking maybe to plug my old phone back in, but I would hate for it to wipe it clear... which I think it might. Thoughts?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never had to restore using a previous back up, but if I'm not mistaken, when your plug your new iPhone in and the name of it shows in the left hand column, if you highlight and right click a menu should pop up. One of the items I believe would be restore and perhaps you can chose from there.

Like I said I'm not 100% sure as I've never had to do it, but I've seen that option in that list before when I've right clicked to opened it to chose "back up" for myself.

Hopefully this may help you:)

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased my new iphone 4Gs and when I plugged it in to sync instead of backing up from my old 3Gs I clicked on "new" phone. It set it up, but didn't use the last back up I made for my old phone. I still have all my info on my old phone, but don't know if I should plug it back in since I thought it might lose everything? Any ideas on how I can start over? (having to use the USB since my laptop is not using a current enough os)

For future reference the issue is that you clicked on "new phone" which is really "set up as new phone" which means do NOT restore from back-up. That is why this happens. The default is to restore from the latest backup, which is why you had to click on new instead. If you don't do that, you will get the backup restored which is what you were looking for. Just so you know in case this happens again.

Pink is exactly right-to fix this just plug in your new phone, right click on it and restore from backup. You will lose what is on the phone now though.

You can still back up your old phone and won't lose anything.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

reginald_1986

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying as well. Sorry couldn't help much as had only restore with one phone and not a few :(

Hope it works well for you though!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73