Switching back to the iPhone 5: Why the HTC One grass wasn't greener

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I went from basic phone to basic phone to Blackberry to Blackberry to Android to Blackberry to Android to Blackberry, Steve Jobs died and I still loathed Apple, but I picked an iPhone 4 anyway to try. Few months later wielded an iPhone, a Blackberry and an Android at the same time to decide which I wanted and stuck it out with iPhone and now have an iPhone 5. I haven't tried a BB10 device yet though, but they do look awesome. Blackberry and Android have a lot of great things to offer, but for what I use phones for now Apple wins. Hands down, I make less errors typing on the iPhone keyboard than I do on any Android keyboard, I even bought Smart Keyboard and some other keyboard that was supposed to be amazing, changed the keyboard size and key size and still made too many errors.

Basically what I'm saying is, I agree that these posts are a dime a dozen, people have different needs and likes and will choose what they want. Beyond that, they need to accept that others have done the same and stop putting down other platforms as they usually do in these posts. Good phones are good phones and this is the best competition the world has had with smartphones and I hope Google changes the OS up a bit to prevent the lackluster battery life on most devices and really amp up the competition. Apple, Blackberry and I think even Windows have managed to do it, but 7 years later, Google is still behind with battery life beyond Motorola stuffing a big battery in the Razr Maxx.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I went ahead and looked at that thread on AC. I really can't understand how the points that were made in
the OP constituted a blog post on this discussion.

There was a lengthy review by a member on CB on the Z10 which I thought was really good. She still has
kept the phone, but sounds like a person who may go back to Android anyway. This thread was worthier
of a blog post

http://forums.crackberry.com/genera...nth-later-unbiased-z10-lengthy-review-800059/

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Elaborate on "Apple's" LTE/3G implementation? I'm a bit confused as to someone having a regret about such...

@revtech...you can see it pretty clearly that they are trying to sort of mesh the communities together with these, cross threading from forum to forum. I don't think it's going to have the results they think it will though, lol.

I don't get why the Mobile Nations is trying to do this. It makes no sense. There have been 8 billion of these threads on iMore and AC for years, yet they chose this one for a blog write-up? They could choose a little better. That guy's post provided very little in comparison between the One and iPhone other than just a few bullets as to why he didn't like it. Other people have gone through much more thorough reviews that would provide readers with better information and still have some discussion. All this has done is provide people on both sites some bit**ing fodder. And like Heisenberg said, check out that thread on the Z10. That was tastefully and artfully done, and is much more worthy of a blog post.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually just read that article...and it was damn decent. I whole heartedly agree...

To the higher ups who are making these calls...we kind of get the attempt at a true "mobile nations" scenario, where the forums cross paths more often than bicker through trolling, but at least put some legitimate time into which threads are chosen (Heisenberg's suggestion was a very nicely chosen post, though had really nothing much to do with iMore). The post related to this blog is, at least in my opinion, pretty generic when it comes to attempts to connect the communities, and i think we can all agree that we expect a little more in depth content on both sides of the fence.

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I went out and bought the One a few weeks ago and love it. They're both great phones. I'm still using it but I'm keeping my 5 because I know in a few days/weeks/months I'll want to go back to my 5 or get the new 5s or whatever being that our whole house/lifestyle is centered around the Apple ecosystem.

Howevery, I'll still post here over AC just because it feels like more of community here.

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Agreed with much of what's already been said. They're both great phones. Posting this on the main page (especially because it wasn't a great post) just seems... inappropriate. While I appreciate my iPhone5, I would kill for One's bigger screen and low-light camera performance. And as much as people don't think it's important, I really miss widgets. There are certain widgets that were really useful when I was on Android.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I think folks making a whole topic for when they leave a platform is ridiculous. I switched my iPhone 5 for the LG Optimus a few days ago, but switched silently

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think folks making a whole topic for when they leave a platform is ridiculous. I switched my iPhone 5 for the LG Optimus a few days ago, but switched silently

...switched silently, until now! :D

I am for the most part OS agnostic, although I do have my preferences. I carry a Nexus 4 as my main phone, an iPhone 5 as my 2nd phone, and just tonight I picked up a Lumia 521 (cheap, VERY CHEAP, T-Mobile prepaid) to play with WP8. Only 2 of my phones are active at any given time. My opinion is that iOS and Android are pretty much equal in stability, speed, and smoothness, at least if the Android device is a Nexus. A user should base his decision on personal preference or need of something in one but not the other. WP8 needs time to mature, and the app situation is still lacking, but it has good potential.

Gretchen Cane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I read the post from the guy who switched. It appears that the user prefers to be an appliance operator like most iphone users. All of his issues could have been resolved by simply making a few custom adjustments. That's the beauty of Android.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I read the post from the guy who switched. It appears that the user prefers to be an appliance operator like most iphone users. All of his issues could have been resolved by simply making a few custom adjustments. That's the beauty of Android.
How was he supposed to make a few custom adjustments to;

-Couldn't get phone to work well with car which is important to me, petty, I know

Might be possible by tampering with the phone settings but its a shlep nonetheless

-I use an Otterbox and it made it near impossible with one hand

I suppose he could take a custom hacksaw and make it smaller.

-I find the Iphone Camera to be better quality as I like zooming further than HTC would allow

Other than dismantling the phone and installing his own camera I don't see how changing settings would allow it to zoom further

-Too much clutter, IE Blink Feed and Gallery

This seems to be personal preference so I won't comment

-I like the way Mac/Iphone/Itunes sync seamlessly

This again is preference but which platform allows the kind of sync that Apple does across devices?

thepopeishere

May 10, 2013
Visit site
First and foremost..I am not a fanboy of either operating environment...I have 4 tablets, 2 apple, 2 android. I've had every iPhone, and most top tier android device. Of course you Guys left the one for the iPhone. Have you not read the reviews of the sense UI that HTC uses? Year after year it gets slated as a subpar android system. I can't argue with your decision on the iPhone. The idea that app,e has a superior sync environment for music, pictures, docs, whatever is a fairy tale...I use both, interchangeable and with one another meaning all my content syncs between both environments seamlessly. The HTC is pretty, but how many of you are riding bareback? I see people with otterboxes and all other assortments of cases that hide that beautiful unibody from the day of purchase..same with the iPhone...all the really shows is the screen. Don't misunderstand me...if the phones could resist the impact of my repeated drops, I would fly without a case and al of these exterior design arguments would carry some merit. Until that time I think that argument should be flushed...I'm not advocating you do like I did and get the galaxy s4 (it's a better phone save the metal back) but come up with some real standards for comparison. The nexus 4 is also has a premium exterior finish and a pure google operating system that makes the sense UI laughable. Honestly did any if you that tried the phone give the google system full immersion the same way you did apples ecosystem. You can't purchase an android phenomenon as a replacement for an iPhone and expect that it fill in the gaps seamlessly the way your Iphone did...if you are a power user for work and integrate with multiple clouds services android works more effectively and efficiently. I love my retina mb pro, my iMac, my iPads, and my Apple TV...but I also love my gs4 and how it integrates with all of these and every other connected device in my home. If you buy nothing but apple more power to you...but don't pretend you can provide any helpful information to someone interested in exploring a broader world.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
First and foremost..I am not a fanboy of either operating environment...I have 4 tablets, 2 apple, 2 android. I've had every iPhone, and most top tier android device. Of course you Guys left the one for the iPhone. Have you not read the reviews of the sense UI that HTC uses? Year after year it gets slated as a subpar android system. I can't argue with your decision on the iPhone. The idea that app,e has a superior sync environment for music, pictures, docs, whatever is a fairy tale...I use both, interchangeable and with one another meaning all my content syncs between both environments seamlessly. The HTC is pretty, but how many of you are riding bareback? I see people with otterboxes and all other assortments of cases that hide that beautiful unibody from the day of purchase..same with the iPhone...all the really shows is the screen. Don't misunderstand me...if the phones could resist the impact of my repeated drops, I would fly without a case and al of these exterior design arguments would carry some merit. Until that time I think that argument should be flushed...I'm not advocating you do like I did and get the galaxy s4 (it's a better phone save the metal back) but come up with some real standards for comparison. The nexus 4 is also has a premium exterior finish and a pure google operating system that makes the sense UI laughable. Honestly did any if you that tried the phone give the google system full immersion the same way you did apples ecosystem. You can't purchase an android phenomenon as a replacement for an iPhone and expect that it fill in the gaps seamlessly the way your Iphone did...if you are a power user for work and integrate with multiple clouds services android works more effectively and efficiently. I love my retina mb pro, my iMac, my iPads, and my Apple TV...but I also love my gs4 and how it integrates with all of these and every other connected device in my home. If you buy nothing but apple more power to you...but don't pretend you can provide any helpful information to someone interested in exploring a broader world.
Android does not offer the level of sync that iOS does. Not by a long shot... Can you swap devices and have your exact icon layout and apps as your previous device without plugging in the phone. Can you start a conversation on your phone and pick up where left off on your tablet or laptop? The same with games? Can you download a track and automatically find it on your other devices when you get home?

Multiple cloud services? For what?

You're also dismissing the premium materials that Samsung refuses to use but charges just as much, if not more, for the handsets because you put your phone in a case. What kind of argument is that?

iOS has flaws and in some cases big flaws but to dismiss its superior sync capabilities is asinine.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A great discussion has sparked up over in the Android Central Forums, started by a member that switched from iPhone 5, to HTC One and back again within 2 weeks. Member fettym outlined some great points as to why they ultimately decided to stick with the iPhone, as well as some of the more positive aspects of the HTC One.

We've featured this on the main blogs here, but wanted to jump in and bring the discussion over to the iMore Forums. Have you switched to another platform? Did you switch back? What made you make the jump in the first place? What made you come back?

Let us know either here in this thread, or in the comments on the post!

I pre-ordered a Lumia 900 last year after having used the iPhone since the fist day it was released. I had become bored of iOS at the time. I used the Lumia for a few months. But ultimately WP7.5 was severely lacking. Battery life and just general usability were not up to par with the iPhone at all. I tried to adjust. But I just didn't enjoy using it. Many members of WPC forums suggested turning off notifications and push email which was unacceptable when my iPhone 4 could go all day with dozens of apps pushing and 2 exchange email accounts pushing as well.

I then got a Galaxy Nexus in May/June of 2012 after selling the Lumia. I used the Galaxy Nexus for over half of 2012. Android quickly grew on me. I saw what everyone was talking about. It's made by nerds for nerds. I mean the amount of options and customization were awesome at first. I thought at first; "Wow these guys are speaking directly to me!". I had grown to like Android so much that I sold my iPhone 4 right before the release of iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 and cashed in big. Then...it started. I started to notice all these little things that kept annoying me.

1. The big screen doesn't present any more information than my iPhone. Fire up Facebook, CNN, and any number of apps. On Android everything is just "bigger". You aren't getting any more information presented to you.
2. Many apps were poor replacements for the iOS versions. I never found a bill tracking app that compared to BillMinder. I never found any task/list apps that are even close to Clear.
3. App permissions - Why a simple list/task app needs to see my contacts and phone calls is beyond me. The permissions third party apps claim to need is beyond ridiculous, often.
4. After you spend hours every day playing with your phone customizing and making all yours and crazy...a week later when you are busy and quickly want to do 1 thing I was forgetting that...Oh yea I changed that...and it would take me too long to remember what I did. I ended up going back to stock pretty quickly.
5. I didn't find the widgets very useful. They were just app shortcuts most of the time that looked pretty, used up resources, and drained the battery.
6. No Tweetbot.

Then Google updated my Galaxy Nexus to 4.1.2 and that is when things really started to go down hill. That release of Android is very poor. Android Media Server got "stuck" nearly every other day and would eat my battery within hours. Restoring does nothing. You are pretty much on your own and get no help from Google.

One Friday night in January of this year was the final straw. It had been a trying week with my GNexus. I charged it after work to 100%. Then went out for the night. Stopping to meet some people for dinner at a place in a mall near by. It might have been 2 hours since I had taken the GNexus off the charger. I pulled it out of my pocket to find it pretty warm, my battery reading 24%, and Android Media Server had used some crazy amount.

I told my friends I would be right back, that was it. It was good I was at the mall. I quickly walked directly to the Apple Store, one of the few remaining open at nearly 9pm. I told the guy I wanted an unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 in black. I didn't even want to talk or hear any of their jive. They offered to do all this stuff and I just said give it to me. I turned it on and signed into my accounts. It was like a weight lifted of my chest. What was once boredom was now safety, security, and familiar.

I did get a Nexus 4 once they became available again. I thought maybe with some more power it would be better. It was better, Android 4.2.2 is pretty solid. I found I had to force myself to use it and leave my iPhone at home however. I would sit at work and long for my iPhone, sitting alone at home. I ended up selling it to a friend after only a month. All the little annoying things were still there. The apps are just of lower quality. The devs are lazy IMO. Customizing it gets old quickly. I miss SwiftKey3, Apple please buy them and replace the iOS keyboard. Notification center on Android is also vastly superior.

I came to this conclusion. I enjoy grappling with Windows and customizing my PC. But my phone has to be reliable 100% of the time. I use my phone far more than anything else. I want it to be simple yet powerful. The iPhone IMO is the only device at this time that fits that need.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
2. Many apps were poor replacements for the iOS versions. ...

5. I didn't find the widgets very useful. They were just app shortcuts most of the time that looked pretty, used up resources, and drained the battery. ...

The apps are just of lower quality. I miss SwiftKey3, Apple please buy them and replace the iOS keyboard. Notification center on Android is also vastly superior. ...

I came to this conclusion... But my phone has to be reliable 100% of the time. I use my phone far more than anything else. I want it to be simple yet powerful. The iPhone IMO is the only device at this time that fits that need.

This was a great review of your journey through Apple and Android. As I've said before on this site and Android Central, I'm a lover of both platforms. I love them both for the different things that they provide users, and both platforms are symbiotic IMHO, in that they make each other better and have to innovate. I highlighted those parts of your post just to add my 2 cents to it.

I think the app argument isn't wholly accurate, but it does depend on which apps are mainstays for you. Many people may not have any issue with the quality of apps on Android, unless an app that's important, like BillMinder is to you. That can definitely be a dealbreaker if that's something you rely upon daily. I would like to add that many apps that have migrated to the "Holo" look are beautiful. It's a different kind of beautiful than iOS apps, but I really like the way they look. It's a futuristic functional look to me, and I really do like that look. A lot of apps still haven't jumped on that bandwagon, but a lot of my app mainstays have and I think it is a great look.

The widget argument depends on the user. A lot of them are completely and utterly useless. I can't deny that. But I enjoy unlocking my device and have my calendar and sticky notes staring me in the face so I know what I've got coming up. Other than those, music apps are about the only widgets I use, just so I can swipe one screen and start a track. In my use, I haven't found that widgets really suck the battery. Some do, I'm sure, but the ones I use don't seem to do anything worse to my battery.

I 100,000,000% agree with the SwiftKey argument. That is an incredible keyboard, especially with "flow" typing now. I wish Apple would do something with the plain Jane stock keyboard. It's a great keyboard, but I'd like at least an option to turn on SwiftKey-like prediction or flow.

I'm also in the same boat as you about a phone. It is the thing I use the most. And being simple, yet, powerful, and most importantly, reliable is key. Android is a ton of fun, but an iPhone just has that little something that makes you feel safe. Like you know you can pull it out of your pocket and have no doubts that it'll work like it should. Android is getting closer, but it just isn't all the way there.

Matt Hickman

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and currently have an HTC One on order. I'm leaving for the bigger screen. I tried the iPhone 5 a while back but returned it because of the wifi issues. If I thought they had that fixed, I'd try another 5, but there still seems to be problems. I like the iPhone, sure there are a few things that annoy me, but overall I'm very happy with it. However, that large screen is just too tempting.

Matt Hickman

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and currently have an HTC One on order. I'm leaving for the bigger screen. I tried the iPhone 5 a while back but returned it because of the wifi issues. If I thought they had that fixed, I'd try another 5, but there still seems to be problems. I like the iPhone, sure there are a few things that annoy me, but overall I'm very happy with it. However, that large screen is just too tempting.

I have left iphone five times because of bigger screens but to me that is all android has over the iphone I've had the Droid X, galaxy Nexus, HTC rezound, galaxy S3, droid dna and the note 2. nothing is as smooth as the iPhone. sometimes I feel like I'm leaving the software during certain applications on the android phones. that's how fragmented it is. s voice makes me feel like I'm in some bizarres corner of my Samsung universe whet as Siri tires in so nicely with the rest of the phone I don't feel like I just left planet earth. also android versions of some apps aren't as polished as the IOS counter parts. take radio lab for example, the android version has a really bad rep for being buggy. as small as it is, the iphone is just a more quality experience. the larger screens on the android phones after just simple sirens to get you off course. don't succumb!

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My primary phone is a Nexus 4, and I carry others as a 2nd phone, among them an iPhone 5. A Windows Phone could not be my primary phone due to immaturity and lack of apps, but I could easily use the iPhone as my primary phone. However, the small screen is enough to keep me from switching. Due to the iOS UI, it's no easier to use one-handed than my Nexus 4. I also read forums a lot, and watch Youtube & MLB on my phone, and the screen is just simply too small! And just because Apple says 4" is the right size doesn't convince me. They said that about 3.5" too.

As far as the lag, since I've used Nexus I'd say that it's every bit as smooth & stable & fast as the iPhone 5. Not better, but not worse.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to an iPhone 4 again today. I have had:
1: the original droid
2: droid 2
3: iPhone 4
4: back to the droid 2
5:Back to the tough gzone flip phone.
6: Casio gzone commando
7: droid3 (back and forth between commando and droid 3)
8: iPhone 4 again with a life proof case.
I love the iPhone. If the life proof case would've been out I would have kept the first one and probably had a 4s right now. I am just rough on phones so I was hesitant and upgraded to the commando. I loved that I could put that phone through anything I just hated how laggy it was. Now that I have seen what a life proof case can handle I don't see me moving away from iPhones for a long time!
The only phone I have actually upgraded to was the commando the others were either bought used or hand me downs lol. My iPhone 4 that I am using now was a hand me down from my friend who just upgraded to a 5. I'm not complaining one bit!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro