Switched from android my 2 week review

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm a long time android user and I've kept a iPhone as a second phone for the last few years. This is my first time using only 1 phone and having iOS as my daily driver.. I'll start with cons first apple lock down isn't as bad but it definitely is a slight pain... not being able to make 3rd party apps default kinda sucks so I just stick with the stock apps for messaging emails camera etc.. no fast charging sucks because I usually fall asleep browsing on my phone and I used to be able to get a good charge while getting dressed and be good to go ..no more.. widgets I really wished they had calendar and weather widgets I could use on my home screen in a custom way ... no root access so no downloading music straight to my phone from my one drive 😞 .. those are the only big gripes I have ... pros 😀 No lag no lag no lag this is huge coming from a longtime Samsung user , future proof knowing I will get updates for the next few years doesn't make me have to upgrade every year (although I will) it's a option not a must. 3D Touch I love it .. iOS 10 is dope especially iMessage.. the main apps I use Facebook in particular have little feats that aren't on android like viewing videos in the corner while being able to still scroll. Daul speakers sound great !!! Camera ,man the optical zoom is clutch seriously and so is the optical stabilization, I used to get weird jitters in my video playback on my Sammy. 256gb onboard storage so much faster than sd memory and it shows when scrolling through 800pics and videos on your phone that Speed is needed...build quality is great!!!! Lift to wake works flawlessly and is definitely clutch.. I used to bash apple to death and don't get it twisted I do think thier hardware will still always be a step behind but the software experience makes up for that.. and I can't wait to see what the next iPhone brings to the table ... side note the headphone jack removal doesn't bother me and trust other brands will soon follow suit , I can't wait to pick up the airpods😀

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience since making the switch! I hope you continue to enjoy your 7 Plus and don't be a stranger around the forums!

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
lol definitely feels that way for me and tbh I'm not interested in nothing other than a stock experience ATM so even I did go back to the dark side it would have to be something like the pixel ...all these years I've bashed Apple I can now see they had it right when it comes to what's important In regards to the user experience

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
lol definitely feels that way for me and tbh I'm not interested in nothing other than a stock experience ATM so even I did go back to the dark side it would have to be something like the pixel ...all these years I've bashed Apple I can now see they had it right when it comes to what's important In regards to the user experience

The pixel is nice but I always come back to Apple so was time to stop switching! Welcome again and see you around the forums!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Here's my take. I've been an Android FanBoy since 2008 when the first device was released. I've have 4 or 5 DIFFERENT Android devices each year since that time. Each year, everything improved.... come 2015/2016, the Nexus 6P was, by far, the best Android phone I have ever laid my techy paws on - and it was priced under $400 brand new. It was the best of all worlds.

Now, the Pixel comes out with many staples (stereo, or even. DECENT speaker to be the most obvious omission) are missing and they jack the price up; way up.

It hit me that Google was charging a current-generation iPhone price for a first-generation guinea pig device.

For the first time in my life, I purchased an Apple Product. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to be precise. It already feels better and out performs anything I've used from Android.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it since i always bashed Apple, but this device is simply stunning. I can do everything in half the time that it took me to do with Android.

I don't miss the ROMmig and Modding, because everything just works.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take. I've been an Android FanBoy since 2008 when the first device was released. I've have 4 or 5 DIFFERENT Android devices each year since that time. Each year, everything improved.... come 2015/2016, the Nexus 6P was, by far, the best Android phone I have ever laid my techy paws on - and it was priced under $400 brand new. It was the best of all worlds.

Now, the Pixel comes out with many staples (stereo, or even. DECENT speaker to be the most obvious omission) are missing and they jack the price up; way up.

It hit me that Google was charging a current-generation iPhone price for a first-generation guinea pig device.

For the first time in my life, I purchased an Apple Product. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to be precise. It already feels better and out performs anything I've used from Android.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it since i always bashed Apple, but this device is simply stunning. I can do everything in half the time that it took me to do with Android.

I don't miss the ROMmig and Modding, because everything just works.

What all is more efficient on iOS for you? I only ask because I'm on the fence of switching for good. I always go back and forth and the biggest disadvantage for me on the iPhone is lack of file system. I'm always curious how others use their devices because maybe it could change the way I do things to an easier way.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
iOS lack of file systems is frustrating but since it's not a every day thing I need it's not a huge gripe and there are work arounds like copy trans but I haven't found a on the fly solution yet

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
What all is more efficient on iOS for you? I only ask because I'm on the fence of switching for good. I always go back and forth and the biggest disadvantage for me on the iPhone is lack of file system. I'm always curious how others use their devices because maybe it could change the way I do things to an easier way.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

The fact that I can unlock my iPhone, 3D Touch on the FaceBook icon to share an image and then have that image posted all in under 5 seconds is worth the price of admission!!!

The major bonus for me about not having the ability to browse around inside the file structure on the phone is that it saves me from what I used to do on android - which was download different file manages all the time in poke around the files to see what features each application had. I only did that to pass time. That is freed up time in my life. LOL.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I love my 256GB silver iPhone 7 Plus. I was a huge Samsung fan for years and ever since the Note7 debacle, there wasn't a phone that was good enough for me except the iPhone 7 Plus. I love that the apps on the iPhone are so much better than the apps on Android. I love how fast it is. I love that it has water resistance. I love the cameras.

But I agree with your gripes about iOS. I hate that I have to go through iTunes to add anything, but that's only a minor thing. The rest of the experience has been amazing.

I was considering the Pixel/Pixel XL to use alongside my iPhone 7 Plus, but it's lacking a bunch of hardware features that are on my iPhone 7 Plus and I cannot justify the price.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
The fact that I can unlock my iPhone, 3D Touch on the FaceBook icon to share an image and then have that image posted all in under 5 seconds is worth the price of admission!!!

The major bonus for me about not having the ability to browse around inside the file structure on the phone is that it saves me from what I used to do on android - which was download different file manages all the time in poke around the files to see what features each application had. I only did that to pass time. That is freed up time in my life. LOL.

Thanks KillerQ. I appreciate the response.

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Heads up this post is NOT grammatical correct lol. Brainstorming.

I was/am a habitually switcher as well. I did buy my first iphone which was an iphone 6+, then iphone 6s+, now iphone 7+. Between 2008 and now, I've been through numerous android phones, I mean a mind boggling amount of androids and none really fulfilled what I was looking for. Sometimes I would go through 4 android phones a year trying to get that fix lol. The Note 7 was a very good phone and Im almost positive I wouldnt have come to iphone if they didnt catch fire. But I think I've finally found a home now.

What I love:
So smooth and fast
Frequent updates
water resistance
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong battery life
better apps
great camera
most technology and accessories caters towards the iphone. for instance, my motorcycle bluetooth helmet sucks with androids. works flawlessly with iphones
more secure
app exclusives normally are on iphone first
stereo speakers
simple enough to use, not wasting time trying to figure out what is draining your battery
imessage................too many other features to name

What I don't love:
I don't have very many cons, because ios works so well for me.
Again like others, lack of a file system is huge for me because of the business im in, but I use box, dropbox, and google drive for cloud storage.
No fast and wireless charging.
Amoled display.
One wish is to move my icons where i want them to. I know there are ways to do it, but I wish it was natively baked in.
the price of the phone
itunes
camera roll, I HATE CAMERA ROLL WITH A PASSION. Prayerfully one day when we import pictures we can edit them, move them, do whatever we want with them.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I wrote this on another forum, but this is my experience switching from Android to iOS:

This is anecdotal, because it's just my experience, but...

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
no fast charging sucks because I usually fall asleep browsing on my phone and I used to be able to get a good charge while getting dressed and be good to go ..no more.. 

Best alternative right now is Apple's 12W USB adapter... I don't know how fast it is compared to quick charge but it is way faster than the 5W one that comes in the box. I only use those now and have no complaints or issues.