Suing Apple over iPhone 3g issues?

What do you think of people suing Apple over iPhone issues?

• Apple should be sued!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Apple should not be sued...

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • People who sue over cell phone issues need to get a life!

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about these lawsuits against Apple due to issues these people had with the iPhone 3g. Personally I think it is pathetic. Thoughts?

Last edited:

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
dont have to sue apple is refunding people because of known nondisclosed issues and the are not being charged early termination fees. honestly if the dropped my bill $30 i might keep it. i like the interface so much i dont mind the lacking features.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
AT&T recently has said they keep improving their network and expanding on their 3g service area. I guess you are paying for being a early adopter. Like I've said in other threads, I do feel for you. I've not only had excellent service in Chicago, but in my travels to Arizona, Dallas and Orlando in the past few months. Lets try to keep this thread on topic and concentrate on the issue regarding suing Apple and not issues some people may or may not have. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Should Apple be the focus of the lawsuit, or AT&T?

In terms of suing them, well, I think it depends if it can be "proven" that they made claims that they knew they couldn't keep.

Here in the Rio Grande Valley, my 3G connection is very spotty, despite the fact that AT&T has said I should have plenty of 3G signal (both online and in person). Is this due to AT&T or the iPhone? I don't know - I haven't really been able to compare with another 3G phone. *IF* I had bought the phone based on the claims that 3G was fine in the area, only to find it wasn't, then I might feel I would have a complaint. (I bought the phone in Florida, then moved here...although in fairness, part of my intent for buying the phone in Florida was knowing that they had 3G down here).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Cjvitek, good point about suing AT&T and not Apple, though I feel it is more of a Apple issue. Why some people have issues and others do not is beyond me. I just don't think it's ethical to sue over cell phone issues, wahhhhh my phone don't work right all the time, let's sue for 5 million! So sad.

Last edited:

iphonetom

Sep 8, 2008
www.iphone-accessories.com
It is pretty lame indeed, but if there was a high chance of winning money via suing them, I definitely would. But unfortunately I don't live in America so I can't sue people for such pathetic things :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It is pretty lame indeed, but if there was a high chance of winning money via suing them, I definitely would. But unfortunately I don't live in America so I can't sue people for such pathetic things :(

None of these 4 lawsuits will win or get any money from Apple. The latest guy is suing for 5 million... So so sad... :rolleyes:

They will get their money back that they paid for the phone and then let out of the contract. Going to court over something like that is a waste of time for many people.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Lets keep the issues out of this thread. There are plenty of threads people can discuss issues in.

Cjvitek, good point about suing AT&T and not Apple, though I feel it is more of a Apple issue. Why some people have issues and others do not is beyond me. I just don't think it's ethical to sue over cell phone issues, wahhhhh my phone don't work right all the time, let's sue for 5 million! So sad.

I am of two minds regarding suing. Generally, I feel that there are too many lawsuits, and people are too quick to sue (and for too much money!). In addition, in class action lawsuits, it is the lawyers who get rich - they make a HUGE commission, while each member of the lawsuit gets $20 at the Itunes store or something.

But having said that, the threat of lawsuits can also keep people and companies honest. So let's assume for the moment that Apple is the one to "blame" for the various iPhone problems (although I would personally blame both Apple and AT&T - it's a joint venture).

I can see holding Apple culpable if Apple made claims that weren't able to be kept, or that someone kept the phone past the 30 day period because they were told "oh, it will be fixed with the next firmware update".

Chris

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I am of two minds regarding suing. Generally, I feel that there are too many lawsuits, and people are too quick to sue (and for too much money!). In addition, in class action lawsuits, it is the lawyers who get rich - they make a HUGE commission, while each member of the lawsuit gets $20 at the Itunes store or something.

But having said that, the threat of lawsuits can also keep people and companies honest. So let's assume for the moment that Apple is the one to "blame" for the various iPhone problems (although I would personally blame both Apple and AT&T - it's a joint venture).

I can see holding Apple culpable if Apple made claims that were able to be kept, or that someone kept the phone past the 30 day period because they were told "oh, it will be fixed with the next firmware update".

Chris

Agreed, very well said. ;)

I'd love to know the outcome of these lawsuits but we will probably never hear about them again.

*Also just read that AT&T is attached to all 4 lawsuits named as a defendant along Apple's side.

Last edited:

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
People are suing because of issues, the issues need to be addressed. I am not saying who is at fault. But, I guarantee these people will get money from apple. I told you my apple supervisor that gave me the credit for $100 told me, "We (apple) are at fault for taking ATT at their word for the 3 G network, the network is not in place" If you don't think someone, is recording these responses and going to use them in court, you are wrong. ATT response is "Apple is telling everyone that it is ATT's fault, but realize, we have many other 3G phones that are not having issues"

The reason you will never hear about them again, is because Apple and ATT will settle with all of them. Without a lawsuit I am getting out of my contract, $200 from ATT, $100 (credit) from apple, all of my Apps refunded. the only thing i am not getting reimbursed for is my $85 vaja case (guess I could use it on the touch) that I haven't even received yet, and screen protectors.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
One lawsuit was just dropped actually. A judge dropped it and I'm glad. This person sued because the battery was not replaceable. People need to get a life.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Ok, on topic, update. I told you I was getting a different phone and ATT was giving me $200 if I stayed and tried a different phone. ATT blamed apple for the iphone phone call dropping woes.

So I went to the ATT store, bought a Blackjack II outright, just to test the network. Moved my sim card. If all is good I am moving to a Treo Pro.

Not one dropped call. Understand I have been through 3 iphones already because of dropped calls. I have made 2 dozen calls, without a dropped call. I couldn't make 3 calls without one of them being dropped.

So on Monday I will test it at work, (where I had either 5 bars or zero) and could never make calls.

So now it appears ATT might be right, it may be the radio in the phone, or maybe it is a certain kind of tower.

Either way if people were to sue, they might have grounds to sue Apple.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
It's amazing how different each person's experience is.

My new iPhone gets better reception than my LG VX8600 on Verizon in Phoenix, AZ. I have had zero dropped calls since I signed up with AT&T 2 weeks ago. I took it to Las Vegas this weekend and it worked flawlessly.

ExBBUser

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
People are suing because of issues, the issues need to be addressed. I am not saying who is at fault. But, I guarantee these people will get money from apple. I told you my apple supervisor that gave me the credit for $100 told me, "We (apple) are at fault for taking ATT at their word for the 3 G network, the network is not in place" If you don't think someone, is recording these responses and going to use them in court, you are wrong. ATT response is "Apple is telling everyone that it is ATT's fault, but realize, we have many other 3G phones that are not having issues"

The reason you will never hear about them again, is because Apple and ATT will settle with all of them. Without a lawsuit I am getting out of my contract, $200 from ATT, $100 (credit) from apple, all of my Apps refunded. the only thing i am not getting reimbursed for is my $85 vaja case (guess I could use it on the touch) that I haven't even received yet, and screen protectors.

certain people need to get a life. all there is to say.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Ethnocentricity is not a crime... yet, but let's remember AT&T is hardly the only carrier with the iPhone, and pretty much other countries -- not to mention antenna tests, and Wired's survey show AT&T is the hot zone for problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro