Solved stuck in a dilemma, how to activate iphone without sim card?

toastngravy

Mar 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi
I don't know much about iphones, this is my first iphone. I bought it used and looks like the seller reset it. When I turn it on, I don't see any of the usual icons like safari and the phone icon. I see a white screen that says select your language. Then it says connect to wifi. I am reading online that I need an active sim card with data. I don't have an active sim card with data. I don't want to waste money on a prepaid sim card. Based on my research, I can also activate the iphone if I connect to wifi, is that right? I don't have wifi at home. Every coffee shop around me that has wifi will not connect to the internet unless you open your browser and select I agree. So now my question is, how does an inactive iphone handle this type of authorization screen? if I connect to the coffee shop wifi it will look to the iphone as if it's not connected to the internet because I didn't press I agree. so does the inactive iphone open that page in safari and I press I agree? or it cant handle this type of authorization page?

Solution
Every coffee shop around me that has wifi will not connect to the internet unless you open your browser and select I agree.
The answer to this part of your question is: maybe. It depends on how the captive portal is implemented.

If it does not intercept Apple's Captive Portal check (looking at you BellWiFi@McDonalds), it will not popover the captive portal for you to authenticate.
If it does intercept, then the phone will issue a pop-over allowing you to authenticate to the captive portal.

I will note that it is possible that authentication still fails if the service provider (e.g.: McDonald's) blocks such requests.

One other thing you can do is go to your local Apple Store, and activate using their wireless...

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
like I said I don't have wifi at home and I don't have any friends

1. At McDonald’s, Burger King, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts etc click agree to their EULA. You expect to use someone else’s Wi-Fi on your own terms. Um, yea…

or

2. Go without the cost of a iphone in order to save enough funds to get Wi-Fi at your home (Wi-Fi that will also come with a EULA too). Go with an ultra cheap Android phone and a 3rd party cheap mobile lower minute plans that will suit your phone needs.

toastngravy

Mar 16, 2023
Visit site
1. At McDonald’s, Burger King, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts etc click agree to their EULA. You expect to use someone else’s Wi-Fi on your own terms. Um, yea…

or

2. Go without the cost of a iphone in order to save enough funds to get Wi-Fi at your home (Wi-Fi that will also come with a EULA too). Go with an ultra cheap Android phone and a 3rd party cheap mobile lower minute plans that will suit your phone needs.
OMG I could get home internet? how come I didn't think of that???? I am so stupid.!!!!!

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
A
OMG I could get home internet? how come I didn't think of that???? I am so stupid.!!!!!
Yeah... if you want actual help (or to continue to take part in this community), I'd suggest a bit friendlier approach instead of being snarky.

To get past that authorization screen: If you have a few bucks (and depending on if your phone is unlocked or what carrier it is locked into), you could just hit BestBuy and grab a cheap prepaid SIM from BoostMobile for $15 or another service (ie: AT&T has one for $10 for phones on their service). Use that to just get your phone up and running and then pull the SIM and use WiFi from there on wherever you can get a WiFi signal.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Every coffee shop around me that has wifi will not connect to the internet unless you open your browser and select I agree.
The answer to this part of your question is: maybe. It depends on how the captive portal is implemented.

If it does not intercept Apple's Captive Portal check (looking at you BellWiFi@McDonalds), it will not popover the captive portal for you to authenticate.
If it does intercept, then the phone will issue a pop-over allowing you to authenticate to the captive portal.

I will note that it is possible that authentication still fails if the service provider (e.g.: McDonald's) blocks such requests.

One other thing you can do is go to your local Apple Store, and activate using their wireless network :)

Solution

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

One other thing you can do is go to your local Apple Store, and activate using their wireless network :)
That seems like a really good suggestion!

toastngravy

Mar 16, 2023
Visit site

thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, a technical analysis. so apple store wifi lets you straight through with no authentication page?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox