Streaming music on Series 5 watch?

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I realize that this is probably a really dumb question, but do you have to have your iPhone within Bluetooth range in order to stream music (ie, iHeartRadio or pandora) on your watch?

When I bought the series 5 watch I was looking forward to completely ditching the phone whenever I was out in the shop, working out at the gym, etc. I have the cellular watch and the phone and message reception works great, but unless I’m missing something, I can’t listen to streaming music unless the phone is very close. There also seems to be other apps that are on the watch that don’t work without the phone.

When I bought the watch I thought it would play any of its apps as long as I had the cellular version. Is that not correct or could I have a setting set incorrectly?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]"If you're connected to Wi-Fi or cellular on your Apple Watch Series 3 or later, you can stream Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and audiobooks, even when you’re away from your iPhone."

Source: [/FONT]
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204691

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So apparently you can ONLY stream music from Apple related products?

I have the iHeartRadio and pandora apps on the watch, but they only allow me to control the music via Bluetooth that’s playing on the phone.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So apparently you can ONLY stream music from Apple related products?

I have the iHeartRadio and pandora apps on the watch, but they only allow me to control the music via Bluetooth that’s playing on the phone.

That’s correct! Streaming is only available using Apple services.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. Never really gave this a second thought since all I stream is Apple Music. Not that I'm aware, none of my other music apps have the ability to be installed on my watch.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the research and help. It appears that only the Apple products will directly run off of the watch without the phone being present. It’s kind of aggravating when they advertise second party apps on the watch but they really only control the app on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2