Storage/Usage Issue

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone is displaying incorrect usage info.

Yesterday I was downloading a podcast using Apple's Podcasts application when something strange happened.

I decided that the podcast was too large, so I paused the download and then cancelled it.

When I went to delete the podcast's "tile", my iPhone froze and then the screen went black for about 2 or 3 minutes.

My iPhone re-booted, and when I returned to the Podcasts app, the tile was still there, which I deleted without incident.

When I checked my usage (Settings>General>Usage) it now says I'm using 25.9GB, but prior to the crash I was only using around 15GB.

I've added up the total amount of data I'm using, and it doesn't total 25.9GB.

I've tried re-booting the phone, but it hasn't corrected the problem.
I don't have a computer, so I can't back it up to iTunes unfortunately.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 😊

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try initiating the Podcast app, tap on the specific podcast in question, if available. If it is, select "Edit", tap on the circle in front of the podcast and then tap "Delete" above it. Now close out the Podcast app. Double tap on the home button and then close out every recently use app listed. Afterwards, turn OFF your iPhone. Wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. Now check the storage usage. This may or may not work.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Since you don't have a computer which might even come down to setting your phone back up as new to correct this issue, It might just benefit you to seek out an Apple store and genius bar. Normally for this issue I don't think I would suggest the genius bar seeing that it might not be an issue for them to tackle.

In this case if you can make an appt. and explain the situation to them it might just benefit you to do this. If anything they would be able to set you back up as new and if you can at least backup to the cloud they might also be able to set you back up as new and restore your data for you that you backed up to the cloud via WI-Fi. Good luck and hope this works out for you.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Try initiating the Podcast app, tap on the specific podcast in question, if available. If it is, select "Edit", tap on the circle in front of the podcast and then tap "Delete" above it. Now close out the Podcast app. Double tap on the home button and then close out every recently use app listed. Afterwards, turn OFF your iPhone. Wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. Now check the storage usage. This may or may not work.

Yep, I've already tried all of that 😊
I've tried every trick I know, but to no avail.

I've just made an appointment at my local Genius Bar, so hopefully they can use their computer's to backup and restore my phone with all of my content.

Apple replaced my handset about a month ago, which I was thrilled about, until I realised that Podcasts and iTunes U courses data aren't backed up to iCloud, which meant that I lost about 5GB worth of stuff, much of which isn't available anymore.

I'll be damned if I have to go through that again! 😉

Device: iPhone 4S 32GB.
iOS: 6.1.3
Carrier: Vodafone Australia.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I've already tried all of that 😊
I've tried every trick I know, but to no avail.

I've just made an appointment at my local Genius Bar, so hopefully they can use their computer's to backup and restore my phone with all of my content.

Apple replaced my handset about a month ago, which I was thrilled about, until I realised that Podcasts and iTunes U courses data aren't backed up to iCloud, which meant that I lost about 5GB worth of stuff, much of which isn't available anymore.

I'll be damned if I have to go through that again! 😉

Oh okay, and thank you for the update. If you had a computer, things would be a bit simpler. Still, I'm sure the Geniuses at Apple will take care of you. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your evening...;)

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh okay, and thank you for the update. If you had a computer, things would be a bit simpler. Still, I'm sure the Geniuses at Apple will take care of you. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your evening...;)

Thank you for your advice!

I did have a Macbook, but unfortunately that was stolen when my home was broken into.

And I'm in Australia, so it's just on midday here, but you have a great evening 😉

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Update: The problem appears to have fixed itself, the Genius I saw suggested it might have just been a software glitch or a bug in the Podcasts app.

This is looking much more accurate 😄

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1374136673.804239.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Update: The problem appears to have fixed itself, the Genius I saw suggested it might have just been a software glitch or a bug in the Podcasts app.

This is looking much more accurate 

View attachment 34454

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you got your situation taken care of. Take care ...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro