Storage for iOS 7

I

iMore Question

I HAVE IPAD RETINA wi-fi cellular , 16gb it writes on box, but in settings it says, 14gb capacity,

The update for iOS 7 requires 3,4 GB

I'VE DELETED PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING , MY STORAGE For, MY PHOTOS is 783 mb
, viber 40mb, shazam 17mb, safari 16mb

On top it writes on left 1,2 GB Available and on right side 12,2 GB USED

Yet I can not update, can anybody help, because apple support is not working well today can't get through???

Do I need wi-fi or very good Internet reception to update?? I am using 3G Internet with 1 bar because not good reception here...

Urgent , I hope someone out there can help me?....

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I HAVE IPAD RETINA wi-fi cellular , 16gb it writes on box, but in settings it says, 14gb capacity,

Yet I can not update, can anybody help, because apple support is not working well today can't get through???

Do I need wi-fi or very good Internet reception to update?? I am using 3G Internet with 1 bar because not good reception here...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you need to be on WiFi to update your iPhone OS.

Also, it's telling you that you only have 1.2 GB available space. You should delete some apps, photos, or music to make more room. Get to about 3 GB of free space, get on WiFi, and then try the update again.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello I have deleted practically everything please see a photo image.jpg I don't know what else to do, even if I delete what's left it's still won't add to the 3,4 GB IT'S ASKING FOR..

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Also is it true that iMessage takes up space because on apple site it says iMessage is unlimited space and it doesn't affect the usage

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
There's something wrong here. Have you tried wiping your iPad and reloading it from scratch. I know you deleted everything but something is a hidden culprit of stealing your memory.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
:thinking:It is possible that iMessage is taking up space??? But it says unlimited , I have sent over 1000 photos through iMessage does it matter, please see current settings image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I can't understand why it writes 12,4 GB used when my ipad is almost empty of applications and my photos are all deleted but in settings it says I have used 773 mg

If I restore then I lose all my iMessage conversations and phone contacts from FaceTime and viber

This is a problem please help

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Just like a computer, any electronic device can accrue memory or data and there is no real way of truly retrieving it unless you start from scratch.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Can I back up iMessages then reload them once I restore ipad again
Also does iMessage use up storage

You should be able to back up iMessage messages. Since iMessage is built into the os there is no extra storage taken up from using it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Instead of screenshots from the iPad hook up to iTunes. Then take a screenshot in iTunes at the bottom. Did you have a lot of games? Any map apps? I'm thinking most of your space is probably swallowed up by the "other" category which is saved Data. We can verify from the iTunes screenshot. Your iPad screenshot shows that you are not using iCloud Backup. So what I would suggest is backing up whether in iTunes or via iCloud Backup. Then in iTunes click Restore which will wipe the iPad and install the latest iOS. Then you can restore from your backup.

You might be better off restoring as new and then putting back your apps and pictures. However if you do it that way you will lose your iMessages.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
@Iphueria: I'd bet money that it's 'other' files. Had a similar issue on my 3GS.
Definitely recommend Set Up As New. If they restore from back up, 'other' files will just get loaded on again.

Further to what Karen said:
Go to settings-General-Usage and you can see how much space messages are taking up.

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes I checked other files is showing up on iTunes ,
Which means that probably iMessages has used up the storage

I will delete iMessage photos and see what happens

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
@Iphueria: I'd bet money that it's 'other' files. Had a similar issue on my 3GS.
Definitely recommend Set Up As New. If they restore from back up, 'other' files will just get loaded on again.

This is the first thing I thought too. penkou put up a screenshot of the space that is shown in iTunes. If you're willing to delete some of your iMessages just keep in mind if it is the "other" that is taking up space then without deleting the games or whatever else is taking up the space you might still end up not having enough space.

penkou

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Everyone thanks for you help, I sat all night and deleted my iMessages which consisted of a lot of videos and photos and it reduced my storage space.. I have now finally downloaded iOS 7 and it appears that now in settings under usage storage it shows the space used of iMessages

I wish apple had made an announcement before that iMessage uses up a lot of space it would of been easier

With this I didn't have to restore and lose all my files ect..

Thank you to all