Stolen iPhone 5 stolen then recovered after i had already received new phone. What to do now?

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
sorry to hear about what happened

its sad that more people can't be honest I gave back a total of two cellphones over the years that I found and would hope the same courtesy will come my way if the superglue ever wears off my hand

If everyone had that attitude, the world would be a much better place !

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The right thing to do is to abide by the insurance contract that was entered into. Rules are rules and only the ruler, insurance company in this case, can choose to make exceptions.
Moral issues are a different concern and a topic of much discussion in this thread, i.e. should the phone be returned, should a partial refund take place ?, should the OP keep the phone and sell it ?
If anyone here thinks the rules of the insurance company are "not fair" and that different scenarios should occur, they have the right to start their own company and have their own rules to process cases in the manner which they posted.
Odds are, they would find it much more difficult than the manner stated regarding "what should be done" and have different feeling regarding "what the OP should do with the phone"

Just my thoughts and I do not own or have any part of an insurance company.

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So much fuss for iPhone stolen/recover just send it back to asurion. You'll feel better with yourself after.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

XxMatrixX22

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Just finished reading this whole thread. So basically after the 15 days "Grace Period", even if you return your "lost" phone, the insurance company will not return the $185 deductible? Therefore leaving "NO INCENTIVES" whatsoever for us to return the re-found phone.

From what I read, it seems pretty fair not to return it. You're better off trying to get back your deductible by selling the phone yourself on eBay or Craiglist.

There's only two options:

1. Return the newly found phone and lose $185 and a phone (maybe another $300). Assurion 2 | 0 Customer

2. Keep the newly found phone, since they won't return back your money anyways and only lose $185. However you still have a chance of making that money back by selling the phone. Assurion 1 | 1 Customer <-- EVEN!

Option 2 seems like the fairest to me. Keeping in mind the fact that this service is NOT FREE, we pay a monthly fee for the insurance policy to Assurion. Plus there's no damage done, both you and Assurion are happy, since assurion has no idea that you found the phone anyways. No damage done. ;)

For those of you guys that pick option 1, please feel free to do so and I respect your choice. However don't judge me if I sit back and laugh while you lose $500 - $600 for been so righteous. ;)

Cheers. :)

:kiss:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Just finished reading this whole thread. So basically after the 15 days "Grace Period", even if you return your "lost" phone, the insurance company will not return the $185 deductible? Therefore leaving "NO INCENTIVES" whatsoever for us to return the re-found phone.

From what I read, it seems pretty fair not to return it. You're better off trying to get back your deductible by selling the phone yourself on eBay or Craiglist.

1. Return the newly found phone and lose $185 and a phone (maybe another $300). Assurion 2 | 0 Customer

2. Keep the newly found phone, since they won't return back your money anyways and only lose $185. However you still have a chance of making that money back by selling the phone. Assurion 1 | 1 Customer <-- EVEN!

Option 2 seems like the fairest to me. Keeping in mind the fact that this service is NOT FREE, we pay a monthly fee for the insurance policy to Assurion. Plus there's no damage done, both you and Assurion are happy, since assurion has no idea that you found the phone anyways. No damage done. ;)

For those of you guys that pick option 1, please feel free to do so and I respect your choice. However don't judge me if I sit back and laugh while you lose $500 - $600 for been so righteous. ;)

Welcome to iMore Matrix

You have the right to your opinion

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Wow. Simply wow.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

I think you're confusing which phone the deductible is for. The deductible is for the replacement phone not the "lost" phone that was found. The insurance company has no obligation to refund the deductible (for the replacement phone) just because the "lost" phone is turned in. You're supposed to turn it in anyways per the guidelines.

Peter Corsey

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
My only problem with that is, I had a note 5. The only option they gave me was an S7, which is better... but I bought the note for a reason. The only reason they have the s7 s so available is because they bought them for about 10-15 a piece when the batteries were overheating and are pawning them off for 150 bucks a piece. I wanted my note back. I can't get it, even though it's a better phone. So I lost my phone weeks ago, longer than I'm able to get a refund... if I find my phone, I feel like I'm within my rights to give it away, for the theft of my original note, which asurion did not give me an option to replace because they received so many s7s in bulk due to the battery overheating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My only problem with that is, I had a note 5. The only option they gave me was an S7, which is better... but I bought the note for a reason. The only reason they have the s7 s so available is because they bought them for about 10-15 a piece when the batteries were overheating and are pawning them off for 150 bucks a piece. I wanted my note back. I can't get it, even though it's a better phone. So I lost my phone weeks ago, longer than I'm able to get a refund... if I find my phone, I feel like I'm within my rights to give it away, for the theft of my original note, which asurion did not give me an option to replace because they received so many s7s in bulk due to the battery overheating.

Welcome to iMore, Peter! Sounds like you're kinda stuck. Maybe you can find a way to upgrade to the new Note 8 when it comes out later. Or, perhaps switch to an iPhone. You might like the 7s Plus or the "Edition" model when they come out. Good luck to you, whatever you do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal