Steve Jobs must be turning over in his grave!

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree here. I use Windows 8.1 and it is quite a bit less user friendly than multiple monitors on my OS X system but that is personal preference. I find them, once I get to the correct settings page in Windows 8.1(eurgh), to be the same in window management.

Win key + P will give you quick access for Primary monitor only, Duplicate between monitors, Extend the desktop (dual monitors) and Second screen only.

If anyone knows of a similar shortcut for multiple displays on OS X please do share.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, more MP doesn't always mean higher picture quality. It'll be nice when Apple rolls out the higher MP rating but it's not on my list of priorities. The pictures continue to improve in quality just using 8MP and is continually keeping up with those other companies that can utilize those increased MP(most can not). Most higher MP cameras look like crap looking at the "post your picture threads" in other forums.

This was a zoomed in pic of Peanutkitty on top of the shed roof with the sun (such as it was) behind her.

I'll take this picture anytime.

View attachment 70692

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Win key + P will give you quick access for Primary monitor only, Duplicate between monitors, Extend the desktop (dual monitors) and Second screen only.

If anyone knows of a similar shortcut for multiple displays on OS X please do share.

OMG THANK YOU. I only ever use Windows to game but I dread having to go into settings every time. :p I would much rather have a control panel icon on my desktop(the thing I actually use) than to go into Metro and clunk my way through settings.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
OMG THANK YOU. I only ever use Windows to game but I dread having to go into settings every time. :p I would much rather have a control panel icon on my desktop(the thing I actually use) than to go into Metro and clunk my way through settings.
Win key + x, you'll thank me later!

Sent from my HTC M8

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, it's not like everything worked perfectly out of the gate when Steve was around.

Has there been a Mac OS or iOS release that didn't have a few bugs in the initial .0 release?

What makes Apple different is that those bugs are usually fixed in short order. With as many new features in OS 10.10, it's not surprising that some kinks will need get worked out. I do expect them to get fixed, though.

As far as iOS8 on iPhone 5, I had no issues with it on my 5 before I got the 6. None at all.

TabZee

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, what Steve Jobs gave us is turning to dust along with Steve. It has taken a few years for Tim Cook to destroy what Jobs innovated and produced with quality. Now, we are being squeeze through a wringer to produce one flat product that combines all of Apple products, and quality be damned. I moved from MS-XP in 2007 and greatly enjoyed the wealth of great applications with which I could produce a top quality family book in PDF with 600 photos, great formatting and graphics using iWork-Pages and iPhoto along with some older PC photo editors on my Bootcamp iMac. That book has been destroyed by the new Pages. Luckly, I had a hard copy of Pages'09 to reinstall. I have also been producing great TV-DVD custom slide shows of my family events and travels; with ducking-enabled music/narrative, and TV/DVD-menu styled intro. I used iPhoto, iPhoto-slide shows, iTunes, Garage band, Keynote (for title slides), misc. other programs, and iDVD to put it together. IDVD is now gone (ah! but I have a hard copy that still runs in Mavericks), and soon my slide show capability and and other capabilities will be lost if I update to Yosemite.
The iPhoto editor for OSX was never a more than a basic editor, but what it did, it did very well. The iPad interface with iTunes was always clumsy but I lived with it. So now in the name of hyper-compatibility with the All-and-only-Apple world, all that Steve Jobs did is being degraded to a foul tasting goulash.
I will not lose all that I have done to satisfy Cook's thirst for power. I will not upgrade to Yosemite or the next issue of IOS. I will live with the legacy that Jobs left for me, and when it no longer works, I will switch back to MS now that Balmer is gone. I'm going on 80, so it may never come to that. Oh yes, I'll have to turn off the auto updating feature on all my devices.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, what Steve Jobs gave us is turning to dust along with Steve. It has taken a few years for Tim Cook to destroy what Jobs innovated and produced with quality. Now, we are being squeeze through a wringer to produce one flat product that combines all of Apple products, and quality be damned. I moved from MS-XP in 2007 and greatly enjoyed the wealth of great applications with which I could produce a top quality family book in PDF with 600 photos, great formatting and graphics using iWork-Pages and iPhoto along with some older PC photo editors on my Bootcamp iMac. That book has been destroyed by the new Pages. Luckly, I had a hard copy of Pages'09 to reinstall. I have also been producing great TV-DVD custom slide shows of my family events and travels; with ducking-enabled music/narrative, and TV/DVD-menu styled intro. I used iPhoto, iPhoto-slide shows, iTunes, Garage band, Keynote (for title slides), misc. other programs, and iDVD to put it together. IDVD is now gone (ah! but I have a hard copy that still runs in Mavericks), and soon my slide show capability and and other capabilities will be lost if I update to Yosemite.
The iPhoto editor for OSX was never a more than a basic editor, but what it did, it did very well. The iPad interface with iTunes was always clumsy but I lived with it. So now in the name of hyper-compatibility with the All-and-only-Apple world, all that Steve Jobs did is being degraded to a foul tasting goulash.
I will not lose all that I have done to satisfy Cook's thirst for power. I will not upgrade to Yosemite or the next issue of IOS. I will live with the legacy that Jobs left for me, and when it no longer works, I will switch back to MS now that Balmer is gone. I'm going on 80, so it may never come to that. Oh yes, I'll have to turn off the auto updating feature on all my devices.

It's Cooks's compamy now, and before Steve Jobs died, he told Tim to not stress about doing what Steve would've done but do what Tim thought would be good for the company.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I remember a few years ago before he died. He was on stage presenting an Apple product or speaking about something, and he said "it just works", and also mentioned how some competitors just make junk that is never easy to use, bug riddled, etc. At the time he was right.

But now, this is really getting out of control.

1. Yosemite - Wifi constantly disconnects. This started day 1 of Yosemite, Apple does not acknowledge it, and I have read many complaints about it. I using a high end office connection. Not starbucks. Very close to the router.

2. Iphone in the same LAN as MAC. iphone rings, so does MAC. Great new feature, however, I answer the call on the iphone, MAC keeps ringing. Sometimes non-stop until I hit decline, and even after the call ended.

3. iOS 8 on an iphone 5 (speaking for a friend here), very slow, crashes, etc. iPhone 6 and 6+ speaking from my own experience. Often when you tap something, it just doesn't respond. As if you didn't tap it at all. Screen rotation issues (although that seems to have gotten better with 8.1).

4. Same friend as in #3. He doesn't want to upgrade to a 6/6+ just because of the damn power button that they moved to the side. I can't blame him, it is awful. I can't count how many times I accidentally pressed it when trying to press the volume up button. Also, I have turned up the volume when trying to press the power button. Very annoying.

5. OSX - Absolutely HORRIBLE handling and usability for multiple monitors/full screen/maximize. Windows has done this right since 3.1.

I had dinner with a different friend the other day who still has an iphone 5. He asked to see my 6. Then he asked me what is new with it other than the size/dimensions. My answer was "uuuuuhhhhhh, Apple Pay". He said "what else?". Well my answer was "nothing really, better camera and CPU?".
Really, nothing new. I am really getting frustrated lately with Apple products. I used to buy into the whole Apple fantasy, but I think it died with Jobs. I am not looking to switch to a Galaxy or to Windows, but it is getting really hard to keep saying that Apple's products are superior.

First off, if you are buying Apple products to say that they are superior or loaded with the newest features, you may be buying the wrong device for your wants. All that should matter, is that it is a superior device for your needs. What features other phones have should not matter, unless those are features you want or need.

For your friend who wants to know what is different between your new iPhone 6 and his iPhone 5? A few things to start with would be: New iSight camera with True Tone dual flash. TouchID. Second generation A8 64-bit processor. M8 motion co-processor. Apple Pay.

1. Yosemite - Wifi constantly disconnects. I am running OS X Yosemite on my 2009 MacBook Pro with no such issues with WiFi. Connection stays strong with my home router, even if I am in the garage working on my car.

2. Iphone in the same LAN as MAC. iphone rings, so does MAC, I answer the call on the iphone, MAC keeps ringing. Sometimes non-stop until I hit decline, and even after the call ended. I have not used this feature, so I can not comment on it.

3. iOS 8 on an iphone 5, very slow, crashes, etc. I am running iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 5S with no major issues to speak of. Some lag here and there in Safari. An issue with calendar view in the notifications center (which has resolved itself somehow) my girlfriend was running iOS 8 on her iPhone 5 with no issues, before upgrading to the iPhone 6. Her iPhone 6 has been largely problem free. She has the occasional issue with her in-car Bluetooth disconnecting.

4. the damn power button that they moved to the side. I accidentally pressed it when trying to press the volume up button. Also, I have turned up the volume when trying to press the power button. This is largely a personal preference and subject to muscle memory and habit. Having owned a Nexus 4 with the power button on the side, I do not see the new location of the power button on the iPhone 6 being a problem for me personally. Give it time. You will adjust to it.

5. OSX - Absolutely HORRIBLE handling and usability for multiple monitors/full screen/maximize. Windows has done this right since 3.1. Again, I have never used this feature with my MacBook. So I cannot really comment on it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most smartphones of all platforms have reached a point of not much new in hardware. It's mostly the software now.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This year has been a rough one for sure. Yosemite and ios8 both have a good share of bugs.
I tried an iphone 6, then 6+, then back to a 6 before finally returning the device and going to a 2014 Moto X.

Each of the 6's were buggy and lagged even on the 6+. The camera on the 6+ is amazing, but it was a good enough reason to keep the phone.
I have had every single iphone ever made, and finally, I am just so bored with an auto arranged static grid of icons, I wanted to go android for a while.
I tried Windows 1520 and the camera is even better than the 6+ and the OS itself is awesome, but no apps, no apps, no apps. Deal Breaker.
Half the things in the market place are posing as apps are just poor quality web wraps...
The new Moto X is basically raw android with Moto assist, which by the way is the best feature ever created, and I don't miss iOS.
although I don't see me going back to iPhone any time soon, I still have an iMac and if I decide to get another iOS device I will look into an iPad.

Sorry Apple, it was a good run, but minor spec bumps with no compelling reason to buy the new phone, made me go another direction.
Honestly, I think the 6 and 6+ feel cheap. The 6+ screen size is awesome but the phone is unbalanced and awkward. I always felt like i was top heavy and going to flip over backwards at any time.

I still love apple and will continue to use some apple products, but the phone just feels stale and old.
Go to the forums where they say POST YOUR IPHONE 6 SCREEN SHOTS!!!
Every single phone looks the same, auto arrange and no real widgets makes iOS stale and old. Guess if you never had them, you wouldn't miss them, but give android a REAL try for 4-6 months and you won't ever want to do without them again.

Swipe was one of the biggest features I was SO excited about for iOS, but its poor implementation made it useless.
2014 Moto X is now my go to device. Love it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This year has been a rough one for sure. Yosemite and ios8 both have a good share of bugs.
I tried an iphone 6, then 6+, then back to a 6 before finally returning the device and going to a 2014 Moto X.

Each of the 6's were buggy and lagged even on the 6+. The camera on the 6+ is amazing, but it was a good enough reason to keep the phone.
I have had every single iphone ever made, and finally, I am just so bored with an auto arranged static grid of icons, I wanted to go android for a while.
I tried Windows 1520 and the camera is even better than the 6+ and the OS itself is awesome, but no apps, no apps, no apps. Deal Breaker.
Half the things in the market place are posing as apps are just poor quality web wraps...
The new Moto X is basically raw android with Moto assist, which by the way is the best feature ever created, and I don't miss iOS.
although I don't see me going back to iPhone any time soon, I still have an iMac and if I decide to get another iOS device I will look into an iPad.

Sorry Apple, it was a good run, but minor spec bumps with no compelling reason to buy the new phone, made me go another direction.
Honestly, I think the 6 and 6+ feel cheap. The 6+ screen size is awesome but the phone is unbalanced and awkward. I always felt like i was top heavy and going to flip over backwards at any time.

I still love apple and will continue to use some apple products, but the phone just feels stale and old.
Every single phone looks the same, auto arrange and no real widgets makes iOS stale and old. Guess if you never had them, you wouldn't miss them, but give android a REAL try for 4-6 months and you won't ever want to do without them again.

Swipe was one of the biggest features I was SO excited about for iOS, but its poor implementation made it useless.

Congrats on the new Moto X. I probably would have bought either that or the Google Play Edition HTC One M8 if I didn't buy the iPhone 6. :)

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad you enjoy your Moto X. It looks like one of the better Android devices out right now. A lot of what Motorola is making right now is fantastic. The Moto X. The Nexus 6. The Droid Turbo. The Moto G. Android is a fun OS. Rooting and loading custom ROMs and kernels and all that is fun. Widgets are a neat feature. I enjoyed my Nexus for a little while. But I don't miss Android all that much.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think Apple is struggling in software and services. iCloud library should be as embarrassing as Maps was to them. Apple wasn't really known for services either under Jobs so I doubt he's turning over in his grave. With record profits, he's probably smiling.

Yet, you're still not going to find anything else that works as well together as apple hardware and OS. The fact you CAN use other services to displace some or most of Apple's services is crucial. Office is a must as iworks is a joke. Dropbox or other cloud services instead of icloud. Google maps. Kindle reader. The list goes on.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, that Moto X is a Killer phone, I was looking at it or the M8 GPE, but I don't think I'd ever get another phone unless it had the Touch Id.

iphone2010

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree, iOS devices have a lot more problems these days, and iphones don't last as long. All of my friends updated to iOS 8 when it came out. Now most of there phones don't work right anymore, they freeze and some have battery and connection issues. Also most of my friends can't get an iPhone to last more than 18 months. I have a 6 year old phone on a 4 year old OS and it still works great.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Most smartphones of all platforms have reached a point of not much new in hardware. It's mostly the software now.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
And yet I feel like design for smartphones has still yet to be tapped for potential in terms of innovation.... It's been a few years and maybe innovation has burned out and plateaued within that period, but there will be that Renaissance where new things would happen within the smartphone space yet again... It only depends on how successful it is...

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree, iOS devices have a lot more problems these days, and iphones don't last as long. All of my friends updated to iOS 8 when it came out. Now most of there phones don't work right anymore, they freeze and some have battery and connection issues. Also most of my friends can't get an iPhone to last more than 18 months. I have a 6 year old phone on a 4 year old OS and it still works great.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1

Why do their iPhones only last 18 months? Are they physically abused?

iphone2010

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Good question, I never really answered that in my original post. I am a teenager as are my friends, so yes some of them don't take very good care of their iPhones. Others though have had phones they take really good care of, but after they downloaded the update,they stopped working right, others have had phones that stopped charging. Just like that, one day just got stuck at a certain battery level and wouldn't charge.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR