Steve Jobs must be turning over in his grave!

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember a few years ago before he died. He was on stage presenting an Apple product or speaking about something, and he said "it just works", and also mentioned how some competitors just make junk that is never easy to use, bug riddled, etc. At the time he was right.

But now, this is really getting out of control.

1. Yosemite - Wifi constantly disconnects. This started day 1 of Yosemite, Apple does not acknowledge it, and I have read many complaints about it. I using a high end office connection. Not starbucks. Very close to the router.

2. Iphone in the same LAN as MAC. iphone rings, so does MAC. Great new feature, however, I answer the call on the iphone, MAC keeps ringing. Sometimes non-stop until I hit decline, and even after the call ended.

3. iOS 8 on an iphone 5 (speaking for a friend here), very slow, crashes, etc. iPhone 6 and 6+ speaking from my own experience. Often when you tap something, it just doesn't respond. As if you didn't tap it at all. Screen rotation issues (although that seems to have gotten better with 8.1).

4. Same friend as in #3. He doesn't want to upgrade to a 6/6+ just because of the damn power button that they moved to the side. I can't blame him, it is awful. I can't count how many times I accidentally pressed it when trying to press the volume up button. Also, I have turned up the volume when trying to press the power button. Very annoying.

5. OSX - Absolutely HORRIBLE handling and usability for multiple monitors/full screen/maximize. Windows has done this right since 3.1.

I had dinner with a different friend the other day who still has an iphone 5. He asked to see my 6. Then he asked me what is new with it other than the size/dimensions. My answer was "uuuuuhhhhhh, Apple Pay". He said "what else?". Well my answer was "nothing really, better camera and CPU?".
Really, nothing new. I am really getting frustrated lately with Apple products. I used to buy into the whole Apple fantasy, but I think it died with Jobs. I am not looking to switch to a Galaxy or to Windows, but it is getting really hard to keep saying that Apple's products are superior.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait to see how this thread turns out.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt that "you" are experiencing the problems listed in your post, but it irks the heck out of me when you and others make it seem as if those things are happening to "everyone".

1. I have not experienced any Wi-Fi disconnects of any kind using OS X Yosemite on my MacBook.
2. My MacBook isn't new enough for handoff so I can't test out the phone call feature with it. Sorry.
3. iOS 8.1 runs like a champ on my iPhone 5. I don't have the 6 Plus yet so I can't comment. Sorry.
4. I'm sure I'll adjust to having the power button on the side instead of on the top, especially when I had no problems adjusting from a bag phone to a brick phone to a candy bar phone to a flip phone to Palm to Blackberry, to Android to the iPhone...:)
5. I have no experience in regard to multiple monitor support so I can't comment. Sorry.

As for Apple products being "superior", that is only true to the people whom those products works best for.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to see how this thread turns out.

This thread will be fine. The OP has every right to voice his or her displeasure. There is no harm in that.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I remember a few years ago before he died. He was on stage presenting an Apple product or speaking about something, and he said "it just works", and also mentioned how some competitors just make junk that is never easy to use, bug riddled, etc. At the time he was right.

But now, this is really getting out of control.

1. Yosemite - Wifi constantly disconnects. This started day 1 of Yosemite, Apple does not acknowledge it, and I have read many complaints about it. I using a high end office connection. Not starbucks. Very close to the router.

2. Iphone in the same LAN as MAC. iphone rings, so does MAC. Great new feature, however, I answer the call on the iphone, MAC keeps ringing. Sometimes non-stop until I hit decline, and even after the call ended.

3. iOS 8 on an iphone 5 (speaking for a friend here), very slow, crashes, etc. iPhone 6 and 6+ speaking from my own experience. Often when you tap something, it just doesn't respond. As if you didn't tap it at all. Screen rotation issues (although that seems to have gotten better with 8.1).

4. Same friend as in #3. He doesn't want to upgrade to a 6/6+ just because of the damn power button that they moved to the side. I can't blame him, it is awful. I can't count how many times I accidentally pressed it when trying to press the volume up button. Also, I have turned up the volume when trying to press the power button. Very annoying.

5. OSX - Absolutely HORRIBLE handling and usability for multiple monitors/full screen/maximize. Windows has done this right since 3.1.

I had dinner with a different friend the other day who still has an iphone 5. He asked to see my 6. Then he asked me what is new with it other than the size/dimensions. My answer was "uuuuuhhhhhh, Apple Pay". He said "what else?". Well my answer was "nothing really, better camera and CPU?".
Really, nothing new. I am really getting frustrated lately with Apple products. I used to buy into the whole Apple fantasy, but I think it died with Jobs. I am not looking to switch to a Galaxy or to Windows, but it is getting really hard to keep saying that Apple's products are superior.

1 - No Wi-Fi issues with Late 2012 iMac and Macbook Pro Retina 13"
2 - This feature works as intended with the above devices.
3 - My iphone 6 does not exibit the behavior you describe.
4 - Power button is in an easier to use location. Learn how to embrace change.
5 - I agree. Windows > OS X for multiple monitor/window management.

Steve Jobs is pretty happy i would say.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

First, I am not looking for a battle of who is better.
2. This is as "intended"??? If that's the case, then it is even worse! Its one thing if it was a bug. But why would anyone want the computer to keep ringing even though you already answered the phone? That doesn't even sound realistic to me.

4. Easier for who? It worked great thru the 5s. Fine your opinion/my opinion. The learn how to embrace change comment is ridiculous. Change for the sake of change is stupid.

5. I wasn't trying to say Windows is better. I am just frustrated that Apple can't get this right.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

The OP is talking about Apple hardware,software, I'd like to see a thread for once stay on topic.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The OP is talking about Apple hardware, I'd like to see a thread for once stay on topic.

1 - I reference an iMac and a Macbook
2 - I talk about Apple software on Apple Hardware
3 - iPhone 6
4 - iPhone 6
5 - Agreeing with OP's assessment on APPLE SOFTWARE

So OP talks about Apple issues. I talk about my experience with Apple hardware/software. How is that off topic again? (HINT: It's not off topic.)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not experiencing any of the OP's issues - really I’m not.

I love the bigger phone (6 Plus) despite my having been on record as saying that I would never buy it. I did, and I love it. The movement of the sleep/wake button has been a non-event for me. The continuity feature for phone calls and SMS texts between platforms has worked very well for me. I am not experiencing the wifi dropout in Yosemite, though I did in some of the earlier developer preview releases.

I am generally happy with iOS 8.1 and my iPhone 6 Plus. No real issues to report. Yosemite, however, is not making me quite as happy at the moment. I am not having any issues with windowing or anything like that. I use a 3rd party utility called Moom to manage that, so what they do with the stoplights, etc in Yosemite is not necessarily important to me. I am also running a retina MBP (2012) with no external monitor, so that isn't a personal concern, either.

I really only have two issues with Yosemite:

1. Computer keeps renaming itself. I set my computer name up as "rMBP". I now see it renaming itself as "rMBP (2)" and the number randomly increments over time. I reset it and the process repeats. It’s currently "rMBP (3)". I am working with an Apple "Senior Advisor" who has escalated the case to engineering, but so far, no resolution. We’ve deleted share settings, etc, but the problem persists over time. I did go for almost a week without the issue, but now it’s back. BTW, this issue has also caused me to lose over a years' worth of TimeMachine backups, and the renamed computer some how messes up the permissions on the TimeCapsule disk, and all of the files and folders have little red dots ("not" symbols?) on them. Attempts to access them result in an access denied error message.
  2. Bluetooth. My rMBP drops the connection to my bluetooth mouse (Apple MightyMouse) randomly. The only way to restore it’s connection is to reboot my rMBP.

As many of you may know, I’m pretty deeply invested in iOS and OS X, so I am not going anywhere, but these issues NEED to get resolved, and resolved quickly. I am not a very happy camper right now.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
1 - I reference an iMac and a Macbook
2 - I talk about Apple software on Apple Hardware
3 - iPhone 6
4 - iPhone 6
5 - Agreeing with OP's assessment on APPLE SOFTWARE

So OP talks about Apple issues. I talk about my experience with Apple hardware/software. How is that off topic again? (HINT: It's not off topic.)

Sorry, thought you were referencing Windows OS.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
2. This is as "intended"??? If that's the case, then it is even worse! Its one thing if it was a bug. But why would anyone want the computer to keep ringing even though you already answered the phone? That doesn't even sound realistic to me.

4. Easier for who? It worked great thru the 5s. Fine your opinion/my opinion. The learn how to embrace change comment is ridiculous. Change for the sake of change is stupid.

5. I wasn't trying to say Windows is better. I am just frustrated that Apple can't get this right.

2. Mine doesn’t "continue ringing", but there is a slight delay (less than a full ring) between the time I answer the call and the other device stops ringing.
4. I hardly see moving the sleep/wake button as "change for the sake of change". The phone is physically larger, and many of the larger phones (non iPhones) have the button on that location.
5. Again, I use a 3rd party utility, so it’s not something that I experience. Not saying that it’s not a problem for you, but it clearly isn't for me.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I will say that since iOS 8, even with 8.1, I have never had to reboot my iPhone as much as I have recently. Some of my apps freeze and I have to reboot my iPhone to get them working. With one app, I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still was not working. I had to reset all settings to finally get it working. Speaking for myself I will say that I haven't been as happy with this update as I have with others in the past but I still like having an iPhone. I only hope I don't have this problem with future updates going forward.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have no doubt that Steve Jobs must be turning over in his grave....He's probably doing backflips, somersaults and dancing with all the money his family and Apple is making.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

2 - Works as Apple intended. It doesn't continue ringing for more than a split second after I answer the call.
4 - Easier for most people who want to be able to hit the power button with the phone in one hand. (just to prepare: Oh you can reach the top with one hand. Good for you.)
5 - Windows is better in that regard. I too am frustrated that Apple can't get it right.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
1. I have Yosemite on a new MacBook Air and I experienced one wifi drop today actually nothing consistent that had me overly concerned. If it does I report it to Apple feedback.

2. I experienced this on my 2007 iMac but haven't had a phone call with with my MBA on since I got it. I've made call on it with no issues. I sent feedback to Apple.

3. I don't have a 5 or a 6 but iOS 8.1 has been running great on my 5S. I would try restoring the 6 as new to see if that fixes the issue or a trip to a Apple Store to see a Genius.

4.Getting used to the power button move is muscle memory. I had to get used to the headphone jack move and ended up liking it better on the bottom.

5. I used multiple monitors with Yosemite on my 2007 iMac with no issues.

Dinner with the friend.
If he has a 5 and not a 5S and doesn't know what's new on the 6 that's his ignorance.
Updated cam
Updated processor A8 64bit M8 coprocessor
Bigger Screen
New Design
Apple Pay
Touch ID

Tell him to go to Apples website to the iPhone section and compare phones.

For me Apple devices still "just work"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods